Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drag Racing Where ALL Racers are Welcome- From ET Bracket, all the way to ProStreet and Top Diesel!

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #281
97rada

Name: 97rada
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Do you have any training on the mill

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #282
bgreen776

Name: bgreen776
Title: White Collar Fabricator
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooner1 View Post
Cool stuff right there. Glad you are healed/healin' up good and enjoying the fruits of your labors man.
Thank you. It sure is nice to be able to get some work done in the shop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97rada View Post
Do you have any training on the mill
I studied machining technology at Idaho State University in the late 90's, yet most of my education has been from the old timers I have had the privilege to work with over the years. What little CNC/CAD/CAM knowledge I have I learned from books and lots of hours banging my head against my monitor. Now days you can really learn a lot from forums and youtube.

'03 2wd - 66/483|Coffman UDC|BBi Stg 3's|34" M/T's|Fab9|4link|25.5 SFI Chassis

Old 12-25-2016, 11:33 AM   #283
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreen776 View Post
Thank you. It sure is nice to be able to get some work done in the shop!

I studied machining technology at Idaho State University in the late 90's, yet most of my education has been from the old timers I have had the privilege to work with over the years. What little CNC/CAD/CAM knowledge I have I learned from books and lots of hours banging my head against my monitor. Now days you can really learn a lot from forums and youtube.

What's a cnc mill like that run? I take it you got tooling with it?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:37 AM   #284
jlibert

Name: jlibert
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
All this delay culminates in this one part. I've been wanting to anodize aluminum since the day I learned what it was, some 30+ years ago. And today I have done it! And I've done it on a nice part that I designed and machined myself, and I've done it fairly well! I'm not one to get too excited about much, but this... I am just blow away by. I apologize for bragging, I am just so happy, and so excited that I've been able to achieve the exact results I wanted. Something I never thought possible.

Its a tow point that will protrude slightly from my front bumper.
Nice piece man!

Old 12-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #285
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
All this delay culminates in this one part. I've been wanting to anodize aluminum since the day I learned what it was, some 30+ years ago. And today I have done it! And I've done it on a nice part that I designed and machined myself, and I've done it fairly well! I'm not one to get too excited about much, but this... I am just blow away by. I apologize for bragging, I am just so happy, and so excited that I've been able to achieve the exact results I wanted. Something I never thought possible.

Its a tow point that will protrude slightly from my front bumper.
I love it!!! I love your excitement more!!

Are you ready to start making me some parts????

Old 12-26-2016, 12:18 AM   #286
bgreen776

Name: bgreen776
Title: White Collar Fabricator
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
A new knee mill, similar to this one, with full three axis capability, would probably be 15-30k and no tooling. This one is a 2 axis so I can't really machine 3D surfaces and I can't walk away from it as the operator must raise and lower the tool, but that saves a bunch of money, and most parts I will make on it don't absolutely require the third axis. I paid $5500 which is probably more than what someone in the lower 48 states would have to spend. I'll eventually upgrade my machine to a 3 axis and add a rotary axis, but that's a long way out and another 5-8k.

If this is something you're interested in I suggest looking at the Tormach lineup. They aren't as versatile as a knee mill but you can get a 3-4 axis machine for a very reasonable price.

I've acumulated a lot of small tooling, drills, end mills, taps, measuring tools, over the last 20 years but the mill only came with one working drill chuck and two collet holders so I've been hitting ebay every day looking for good deals on used and import tooling. I did get some old drill chucks with it but they were rusted solid. Fortunately I was able to make some tooling with the mill to disassemble the chucks and get them working again. They aren't accurate but they work and I couldn't be happier. I should have taken some before pictures!

In this picture you can see one rusty drill chuck and a couple nice ones. When I got them they all looked worse than the rusty one!

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is how they look now after I took the apart, cleaned them up with phosphoric acid, bead blasted (In my home made bead blasting cabinet ), and re-machined them.

Click the image to open in full size.

They were in such bad shape I had thrown them in a box, thinking I'd likely end up just throwing them away, but I got a wild hair up my arse one day after work and decided to at least try to tune them up. One of them ended up being a 3-400 dollar German Albrecht chuck and two were 2-300 dollar Spanish Llambrich chucks. Score!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlibert View Post
Nice piece man!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
I love it!!! I love your excitement more!!

Are you ready to start making me some parts????
Thank you. I've really enjoyed getting back to my roots, machining parts for a living was awesome, but I found it to be very stressful. A large part of the work I did after I graduated was repair work for a small refinery, but it was on assemblies or machines that cost the company upwards of a million dollars a day in lost revenue while we were repairing it. Just chucking up on a half million dollar turbine rotor was an incredible amount of stress, and then you had to turn the machine on! lol. Over the years a gravitated away from machine work toward turning wrenches and found myself really enjoying that aspect of the business, so I started doing less and less in the machine shop. 15 years later I have found myself missing the satisfaction that comes from creating something useful out of a chunk of material that most would consider not much more than a paper weight.

Now that I can do it on my own timeline and with materials that don't cost an arm and a leg I can enjoy it again. There is no pressure to get the work done as fast as possible so I can take the extra time to learn new processes, understand the science behind the work, and create things I would have never been able to do otherwise. And now that I've passed my tool box down to the new guy at work and sit behind a desk 40-100 hours a week I really look forward to coming home and tinkering in the shop far more than I used to back when I was in the thick of things all day.

I'd love to have a part on a rig like yours, it would be a real honor, maybe one day we can collaborate on something small like a catch can or a shifter handle.

Next experiment... Electroplating!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File Dec 16, 9 43 57 PM.jpg (287.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7518a.jpg (384.7 KB, 0 views)

'03 2wd - 66/483|Coffman UDC|BBi Stg 3's|34" M/T's|Fab9|4link|25.5 SFI Chassis

Last edited by bgreen776; 12-26-2016 at 12:31 AM.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:40 PM   #287
SmokeShow

Name: SmokeShow
Member`s Gallery
You're one cool dude. Seem technically very smart yet stay humble. Love all the detail you share in this thread. Very appreciated.

IG: @_mitch_ratliff_

'14 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew, w/ 3.5L EcoBoost, bone stock

83 GMC K30 CC SB 4WD awaiting D/A chassis swap

Old 12-29-2016, 06:31 AM   #288
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
If you want to get into 3 axis cnc machining put aside 20k+. We just went through the endeavor and what we learned was anything worth owning that will make parts is expensive. Clapped out machines or old tool room style/knee mill can be bought under 10k. The only issue I have with knee mill machines is very limited z travel, no tool changer, slow spindle speeds, and oftentimes they truly aren't heavy enough to take any substantial cuts.

Tooling and the small pieces of the puzzle is what will get you. CAD/CAM software, tool holders, carbide tooling, coolant, vises/fixturing, etc.. all add up FAST.

North American Turbo

Last edited by zfaylor; 12-29-2016 at 06:33 AM.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:20 AM   #289
jlibert

Name: jlibert
Member`s Gallery
Bump for updates.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:50 PM   #290
SCHMITTY

Name: SCHMITTY
Title: Not enough time
Member`s Gallery
Making it to the event this year ?