'02 is hard to start!

100farmall

My '02 is having some starting problems. If I park my truck facing down hill it starts with no problem. If I face my truck up hill it turns over about 20 or 30 time before it finally fires off. This is also after it usualy sits for a few hours. I cant find any fuel leaking anywhere and I have checked all of my fittings. I put a FASS direct replacement lift pump on about 10 months ago and its done fine up untill about a month ago. I put a vulcan draw straw in about a year and half ago.
Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for the help.
Also there is no check engine light.

Last edited:
Does it matter what your fluid level is? You may also be getting air in yor system somehow whether it be the factory return line or the pressure line.

Exactly what is the RP sensor? What I cant figure is why it only does it when I have to park with the front facing up hill.

rail pressure sensor. if its bad it wont build the pressure needed to start and keep the pressure at a safe point

Mine does the same exact thing. I plan on fixing it soon as I think it is the return line on the back of the head leaking... I get a puddle under the truck after it sits and I can smell raw fuel. On the truck... Mine has been doing it a couple months but I haven't had time to fix it. I park down hill for now...

If the lift pump is in the stock lift pump location/the side of the engine, sometimes the quick connect fitting can allow air in. You might try putting a drop of oil on it and twist it to work the oil in.
Relocating the lift pump to the frame rail takes care of that problem too.

Mine did the same exact thing, had a bad clamp allowing air to get in, didnt leak but sucked just enough air, dont feel bad, i put 2 vps on before i figured it out, last one was a brand new one!!!!! Turned out to be a $.25 clamp!!!!

Thanks for the tips. I will be driving it to Indiana tomorrow but when I get back I will pull it in the shop and start checking some things out.
Thanks again.

Fuel tube o-rings or banjo bolt on back of cylinder head are first places to check out. The sealing washers on the banjo bolt sometimes wont leak enough to drip fuel onto the ground but allow the system to loose prime.

The o-rings have only started having problems for the most part since the change to ultra-low sulfer diesel fuel. 3 years ago you all but never saw a problem with the o-rings going bad.

Back