Converting a FMVB back to a regular VB.

Got Smoke?

Ok I converted my 97 from a NV4500 to auto with a constant pressure FMVB 47RE out of a 2001 truck.

I'm wanting to go back to a regular style self shifting VB, and eventually a Anteater controller for racing purposes.

I found this post doing some searching, and no I don't have a Goerend VB in my transmission but if Dave's can be reversed so easily why can't mine? This seems like it would be a whole lot more cost effective rather than having to sell my VB and buy a newly built one.

WTT or WTS: Goerend FMVB for regular constant pressure VB. - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Yes it can be, the separator plate, 1-2 shift valve and 1-2 gov plug get changed off the top of my head, I got it wrote down in my book at home. And re add the transducer/solenoid. I think it was like 35 bucks plus the electronics. I'm sure any tranny shop can sell you what you need, finding one that will is another question. I got the run around from a few well known shops that just wanted to sell me a new valve body, and told me it was impossible to reverse.

Yes it can be, the separator plate, 1-2 shift valve and 1-2 gov plug get changed off the top of my head, I got it wrote down in my book at home. And re add the transducer/solenoid. I think it was like 35 bucks plus the electronics. I'm sure any tranny shop can sell you what you need, finding one that will is another question. I got the run around from a few well known shops that just wanted to sell me a new valve body, and told me it was impossible to reverse.

If you could check that out and get back to me I’d greatly appreciate it!! :bow::rockwoot:

Any idea who's fmvb you have?

The entire transmission was built by a local shop to me. I was lied to about it's condition in the trade I got it from, and didn't drive the truck before it was pulled. The shop that built it did help me out quite a bit he completely tore it down replaced damaged forward clutches, replaced a section of the VB where screws had stripped, and cut open the convertor and replaced the warped and damaged clutches and steels in it all for like $1600. I was going to contact him next week to see what he would say about reversing the VB, but I didn't start digging into this until early yesterday.

Last edited:
Man, that sucks you're having to deal with the unplanned :bs: But, I was recently pondering the same question about one of Lavons fmvb :confused:

Step one is figuring out who built the VB you have, once you know that you can order the correct parts.

Step one is figuring out who built the VB you have, once you know that you can order the correct parts.

I know exactly who built it they went through the trans right after I got it driving because the jackazz lied to me about its condition.

Been meaning to call and see if he say's its convertible back to regular VB, but I keep forgetting. :nail:

Back