2nd Gen Brake Swap On A 3rd Gen.

Cflanery88

Most swap the other way around but in my case I wanted the future option to run a 16” wheel for more drag slick options. With my trans out and brakes needing done I decided to put the carriage before the horse. Here is what’s needed:

1. 2001 or 2002 2nd gen or 3rd gen brake calipers (they are the same)
2. 01/02 brake caliper brackets
3. 01/02 2nd gen rotors
4. 01/02 2nd gen brake pads.

Only modifications needed is a little grinding on each caliper mount where it hits the steering knuckle. And for the rear some grinding on the calipers for wheel clearance (Havn’t gotten That far).

12028acfed86e0b609df7032cc8d7c38.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the banjo bolt threads are different from second to third gen. I put second gen rear disc on the truck but I used the original caliper and just swapped the bracket and rotors.

2nd gen and 3rd gen calipers itself are 100% identical

I did swap few weeks ago....

Did you do the fronts or rears? I did the rears and the 3rd gen banjo bolt wouldn’t fit in the 2nd gen caliper?

Banjo bolts are different. 2nd gen is a 3/8” and the 3rd gen is 7/16”. Run into that issue now with the 3rd gen brake hoses not sealing on the calipers. Either going to swap to 2nd gen brake hoses, put 3rd gen calipers back on, or make my own custom braided brake lines which is what I’m leaning towards. Been better off just buying the 2nd gen caliper brackets.

Back