Tappets

ChrisNickerson

SingleCab 24V
Before i start i just spent 30 min trying to search this an couldn't find what i am looking for. I am building a 94 12v motor, last thing i need is tappets. Now some people have told me they use 24v tappets in a 12v motor? Anyone else heard this? Why are they better, whats the benefit, and should i do with a 188/208 cam or just use 12v stock tappets. Thanks a lot for the help

Chris

I thought the face of a cr tappet was smaller than a 24v?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

I thought the face of a cr tappet was smaller than a 24v?

Cr tappet has a larger contact area, but are heavier then a 24v tappet. I believe the 24v tappet is as wide as any lobe offered on an aftermarket cam, so they will work fine.

I have CR tappets in mine because thats what everyone preached when i put it in, but have learned a lot since then(i thinkLOL).

Cr tappet has a larger contact area, but are heavier then a 24v tappet. I believe the 24v tappet is as wide as any lobe offered on an aftermarket cam, so they will work fine.

I have CR tappets in mine because thats what everyone preached when i put it in, but have learned a lot since then(i thinkLOL).

Gotcha. Thanks

x2

CR tappets were the hot thing a few years back. I always thought it was the way to go. Age. You really compare them on a cam it is easy to see that the 24v tappets cover all of the surface area already. No point in putting something bigger and heavier in. Call Geoff at colt and he will confirm.

acceleration rate?
area under the curve?
maybe why people preferred the CR years ago....

and is weight really an issue on the pushrod side of these engines?
is the weight difference going to show up at all on the dyno?

just a few questions to think about. maybe do the research yourself and dont believe everything you read.

I doubt the weight is really going to show up in the dyno, but you will net mileage and throttle response with lighter internal hard parts.

Back