Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:33 PM   #8001
rockytopcummins

Name: rockytopcummins
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRE View Post
Throwback Thursday for me.
Click the image to open in full size.
I hate you had so many problems out of that truck. I love the look of it though, simple and clean. Not too much anywhere. Honestly, and some may disagree, only thing I would change is adding Pickett elbows. I just think they look a lot cleaner and give the exh a more finished look. Maybe a lollipop on each end of the bumper, but that's it.
4" turbo back/5" Aussies
Air Dog 150/150

Tow mirrors flipped up to piss you off
Old 08-07-2015, 06:33 PM   #8002
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
You will find more V12s in standard 352s then you will in H models, and there were some standard 352s made with the K as well.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:44 PM   #8003
BRE

Name: BRE
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytopcummins View Post
I hate you had so many problems out of that truck. I love the look of it though, simple and clean. Not too much anywhere. Honestly, and some may disagree, only thing I would change is adding Pickett elbows. I just think they look a lot cleaner and give the exh a more finished look. Maybe a lollipop on each end of the bumper, but that's it.

I like the classic exhaust but I always kinda wanted to put elbows on it but then part of me didn't.
The whole time I was in it, it was getting a mirror finish square bumper cover. And then getting lights on each end of the bumper. That never happened till I quit. He didn't put anyone else in that truck. He built it for me and sold it when I left.

I had plans for some more classic lighting ideas but obviously never got the chance.
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO
Old 08-07-2015, 08:34 PM   #8004
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
You will find more V12s in standard 352s then you will in H models, and there were some standard 352s made with the K as well.
Yeah, I was generalizing a bit lol. There's an H cab up in WA I go by all the time with a dead 3408, I get ideas but I think I'm too fat and old to crawl in and out of a coe.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2015, 08:45 PM   #8005
SmokinCAT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota84 View Post
Yeah, I was generalizing a bit lol. There's an H cab up in WA I go by all the time with a dead 3408, I get ideas but I think I'm too fat and old to crawl in and out of a coe.

I don't know, between my A and K100 the first step off the ground is taller on the A model, I have more trouble getting weaseled around trying not to burn myself on the stacks on the A model as well, once inside there is no comparison. I'd much rather drive the K100.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:08 PM   #8006
chevota84

Member`s Gallery
I'm definitely more comfortable in a kenworth cabover than a pete. It's been a while since I've been in any of them but I really think I like the freightliners the best.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:36 PM   #8007
Mr.T

Name: Mr.T
Title: DPF's are gay
Member`s Gallery
I've got my eye on a K100 with the studio sleeper and a wounded silver 8V92, I guess the blower shat the bed and the rotors are pretty torn up, I'd swing it out and swing in the 12-71 we have sitting in the corner of the shop at work. Always have loved me a two stroke driptroit
Old 08-08-2015, 07:12 AM   #8008
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
............I'd much rather drive the K100.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #8009
SmokinCAT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I didn't say why, if I can find the parts to do away with the hydraulic assist steering on the A model I'm hoping that fixes the way it drives. The thing will scare the chit out of you if you aren't careful the way it sits.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #8010
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Member`s Gallery
Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Quote:
Yea... Cause old school ain't cool right?
Last I checked, I'm a dying breed. Haha

I'm just not a big stack, big visor, etc etc kinda guy.

This was my build, and I loved everything about it.

Heck, I made a dump truck look alright for gods sake.

On edit: I'm 23, I don't know jack about jack so take everything with a grain of salt.

No to be a dick but whose money are you playing with? Don't get me wrong I like the Petes you were driving. Both of them look great and have a lot of class. I can appreciate that. But they are Peterbilts, and most Peterbilt drivers/ owners are like Ford owners, they think nothing else should be on the road.

I think mine looks good for a limited budget. Most of it is all original 1986 vintage that hadn't been well taken care of. The most expensive piece was the grill and I paid $450 for that shipped from Cali.

And I'm only 26 and can't even pass a CDL road test. I don't know a lot about a lot, but I have been around these things since I was 5 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by RockinRam96; 08-08-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #8011
gorilla550

Name: gorilla550
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Some nice looking Petes on here much nicer than my Freightshaker.

Last edited by gorilla550; 08-08-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:41 PM   #8012
gorilla550

Name: gorilla550
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Some nice looking Petes on here much nicer than my Freightshaker.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:14 PM   #8013
Mr.T

Member`s Gallery
I've driven Petes and even owned one. I like the trucks, but I finally just had to admit to myself that I'm a KW guy, the next one I buy for myself will be either a W900A/L or a K100
Old 08-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #8014
BRE

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRam96 View Post
No to be a dick but whose money are you playing with? Don't get me wrong I like the Petes you were driving. Both of them look great and have a lot of class. I can appreciate that. But they are Peterbilts, and most Peterbilt drivers/ owners are like Ford owners, they think nothing else should be on the road.

I think mine looks good for a limited budget. Most of it is all original 1986 vintage that hadn't been well taken care of. The most expensive piece was the grill and I paid $450 for that shipped from Cali.

And I'm only 26 and can't even pass a CDL road test. I don't know a lot about a lot, but I have been around these things since I was 5 years old.

Well, none of it was my money and didn't intend trying make it sound like that.

As for the Peterbilt/ford thing. Agreed completely and I'm no where remotely that way. I appreciate it all!
I love kenworths almost as equal to peterbilts.
I also enjoy old freightliners a lot. I'd probably have to say my favorite coe's are actually freightliners.

I think you took my comments as "knocking" you're truck and in no way was that my intention at all. I like you're truck a great deal. Especially because of that fact of its built by you and with you're money.

I'll be straight up honest and say I couldn't ever make owning my own truck happen and I always took great pride in what I was able to drive (probably too much).
The blue truck I drove last was truck number three in that fleet. The other two were the red 379 and the 386. I'd pretty well feel comfortable telling you I probably took more pride in that blue truck than the owner. That's why he loved me (until the day I quit). Which is why he also sold that truck when I quit. The dump truck, it took that guy 6-8 months to put a driver in after I left.

I feel most guys in this thread take my postings like I'm better than you guys, that's not my intention either. You guys own you're trucks... I never did.
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO
Old 08-08-2015, 10:00 PM   #8015
chevota84

Member`s Gallery
I don't think peterbilt guys are like that, most of the guys I know just like cool stuff. I think the problem guys are the werner company driver that got him a peterbilt and thinks that makes him special. I prefer peterbilts, it's what I own and mostly what I've driven but I don't care what it is if it's cool.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2015, 10:01 PM   #8016
BRE

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota84 View Post
I don't think peterbilt guys are like that, most of the guys I know just like cool stuff. I think the problem guys are the werner company driver that got him a peterbilt and thinks that makes him special. I prefer peterbilts, it's what I own and mostly what I've driven but I don't care what it is if it's cool.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I love it all, but at the end of the day, I prefer a Peterbilt.
RIP Dex KCCO
Old 08-08-2015, 11:11 PM   #8017
SmokinCAT

Member`s Gallery
Don't set your standards high and buy an old truck, I don't drive and probably never will, but that doesn't mean I can't own a truck. Keep your eyes peeled and find a 359 in the weeds or going cheap and slowly build it how you want it.

I gave $3500 for my A model and sold the engine in pieces for $800, I'm still working on it but it is an alright old truck, and would be even better with a steering and driveline update.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:03 AM   #8018
BRE

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Don't set your standards high and buy an old truck, I don't drive and probably never will, but that doesn't mean I can't own a truck. Keep your eyes peeled and find a 359 in the weeds or going cheap and slowly build it how you want it.

I gave $3500 for my A model and sold the engine in pieces for $800, I'm still working on it but it is an alright old truck, and would be even better with a steering and driveline update.

Well when I was looking, I needed something road ready and had to have help from a bank. Banks hate older trucks. If it wasn't for that, I woulda had my truck.

94 900l
Aero1 bunk
13 speed
Ddec 3
Etc.
They wouldn't help me out cause it was too old.
RIP Dex KCCO
Old 08-09-2015, 07:43 AM   #8019
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Member`s Gallery
Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Quote:
Well, none of it was my money and didn't intend trying make it sound like that.

As for the Peterbilt/ford thing. Agreed completely and I'm no where remotely that way. I appreciate it all!
I love kenworths almost as equal to peterbilts.
I also enjoy old freightliners a lot. I'd probably have to say my favorite coe's are actually freightliners.

I think you took my comments as "knocking" you're truck and in no way was that my intention at all. I like you're truck a great deal. Especially because of that fact of its built by you and with you're money.

I'll be straight up honest and say I couldn't ever make owning my own truck happen and I always took great pride in what I was able to drive (probably too much).
The blue truck I drove last was truck number three in that fleet. The other two were the red 379 and the 386. I'd pretty well feel comfortable telling you I probably took more pride in that blue truck than the owner. That's why he loved me (until the day I quit). Which is why he also sold that truck when I quit. The dump truck, it took that guy 6-8 months to put a driver in after I left.

I feel most guys in this thread take my postings like I'm better than you guys, that's not my intention either. You guys own you're trucks... I never did.

I'm not taking anything as you are saying as a knock. Because I realize there is so many different views of these things and everyone has an idea of what they would like their truck to look like. I honestly started working on this truck with an idea of what I wanted it to look like, and it's not even close to what I envisioned but I get compliments all about it. And mostly I don't have the heart to paint the stainless or chrome.

I'm glad to hear you didn't spend any of your own money on either one of those trucks. That would be idiotic.

It's great to see and hear of guys taking pride in the trucks they drive. In my opinion that's the best kind of driver a fleet can have. For one the trucks will always look great. And two of they driver takes pride in the truck, the trucks don't get beaten on and they driver pays more attention to what is going on. Teaching pride or asking to take pride in a truck is not something that can be taught or bought. It's just something that is programmed into some of us. I am that way too. We go to these pulls week in and week out and not matter what I have to wash mine and clean the interior. I can't just wipe it down and be done. I'm just to meticulous, even though I don't have show pieces.

I don't think your being arrogant at all. Just taking pride in what you do.

Last edited by RockinRam96; 08-09-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:14 AM   #8020
Mr.T

Member`s Gallery
This is an oilfield truck, and has been for 1½ years now, would you ever guess it? Click the image to open in full size.