Borg Warner EFR

When they first came out, they released them too early trying to compete with Garret's GTX line. They sourced a cheap manufacturer, and had turbine wheels shooting out of the exhaust very very often. They shut down production, fixed the problem, and came back.

I haven't heard of a lot of people using them, and I believe it's just the stigma from the rushed, first shipment of them. They have some cool tech and ideas. From what I've seen, they claim to flow more than GTX's, but from cars making HP, the GTX's seem to flow more and take more abuse.

Once cool feature is that they come with (or maybe it's just an option) a diverter valve built in. This is a valve that works like a blow off valve, but pushes that air back into your intake before the turbo. This is a really good think if you're got a truck with a MAF, and if not, your only advantage is, it's just quieter than a BOV. The point of having a diverter valve/BOV is that you never get turbo chatter when letting off of WOT, and this allows for the turbo to have thinner shafts, less rotating mass, quicker spools, but doesn't sacrifice durability. You would need to hook it up some way to your throttle input. Probably with an Arduino and come custom code.

Thanks all I know. Hope it helps!

Good info, thanks. Sounds like if they had sound engineering and construction they would be the ticket. My Garrett GT37 is having issues and instead of rebuilding it I'm poking around for some other options and possibly going with a T4 flange.

The turbine issues were from the material used, not from "sourcing a cheap manufacturer".

Did they get them figured out Smokem? My understanding was the small ones were okay, but problems with the 9180 specifically, according to threads. I've seen them on vendors websites for years, but never heard anything more.
The "cheap manufacturer" confusion, didn't that have to do with some of the early "investment cast stainless" turbine housings? I'd be curious about an 8374 myself.

I've had one holding a shelf down for quite some time now. I think it's 54mm. The lack of rotating mass is unreal. Sometimes for fun I get it out, take a deep breath, and blow on the compressor and watch it spin a couple times.

Did they get them figured out Smokem? My understanding was the small ones were okay, but problems with the 9180 specifically, according to threads. I've seen them on vendors websites for years, but never heard anything more.
The "cheap manufacturer" confusion, didn't that have to do with some of the early "investment cast stainless" turbine housings? I'd be curious about an 8374 myself.

I would love to see that 8374 used as a secondary in a set of compounds.

Back