Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
Truckaddons

Name: Truckaddons
Title: Dodge Crazy
Member`s Gallery
AIRAID vs. AEM (numbers inside)

Here is the kit in all its glory. I've been running the Airaid kit now for some time (about 4k miles to be exact) and have had a troulbe free experiance thus far. We did some back to back dyno runs with my truck which now has the stock turbo in place for some other testing reasons. Mods are in sig minus turbo. All pulls were made on a dyno dynamics dyno with 79 degree heat with 84% humidity. Truck was ran at full opertation temp.

First run: Airaid in place with prefilter. 417.4 rwhp 799.8 tq.
Second Run: Airaid in place without prefilter: 418.1 rwhp 811.3 tq.

Install in progress for about 45 mins then driven a couple miles to bring truck back up to op temp. Weather remains the same.

Third run: AEM in place: 419.3rwhp 809 tq.
Fourth run: AEM in place: 418.4 rwhp 807.9 tq.

No real gains that could be proven between the two units. However, temps measured with an infared pointer were almost 17 degrees cooler with the AEM unit in place rather than the Airaid. This supprised me with its metal construction. EGTs were about 10 degrees cooler with the Airaid in place...go figure. I have only driven the truck now 10 miles and there is really no difference in cab turbo noise levels which will please the woman.

Install pics and my thoughts will follow.

Jesse
Airaid:
Click the image to open in full size.

Here is the kit:

First: Remove stock airbox completely
6spd Dodge SLT CTD and 4:10's (it will never be fast)
Revtek 6" Lift, Thuren Fab Track bar, Bilstien 7100 Resivior shocks on all four corners, Mag Hytec front and Rear Covers and Hydro Front stabilizer. Toyo Open Country MT's 37's on Weld Racing StoneCrushers, QuadZilla Race box with SMARTY #8,AEM Brute Force Intake, Phat Shaft 66, Modded CP3, FASS 150, Silverline Dual 304. Autometer boost and pyro, and Fuel Preasure, South Bend CON FE, and a couple other goodies I'll keep to myself.

Old 07-29-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
Truckaddons

Member`s Gallery
Remove this rubber grommet and install your sensor and filter minder:

Here is a shot of the not so great powder coating.
Revtek 6" Lift, Thuren Fab Track bar, Bilstien 7100 Resivior shocks on all four corners, Mag Hytec front and Rear Covers and Hydro Front stabilizer. Toyo Open Country MT's 37's on Weld Racing StoneCrushers, QuadZilla Race box with SMARTY #8,AEM Brute Force Intake, Phat Shaft 66, Modded CP3, FASS 150, Silverline Dual 304. Autometer boost and pyro, and Fuel Preasure, South Bend CON FE, and a couple other goodies I'll keep to myself.

Old 07-29-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Truckaddons

Member`s Gallery
This bolt is removed from the fan shroud and then reinstalled over the heat shield. Its fitment is subpar to say the least. However, if you just crank her down it will straighten out to the best of its ability.

Now tighten up the rubber coated shaft that comes with the kit and install your filter and its done. Fitment is decent compared to a lot of other kits i've worked with. Here is what you have when your done.

Here is how I feel it measured up. 1-10

Packaging for retail: 9
Directions: 8
Fitment: 7
Quality: 6 (Clean up the coating on the pipe and sheild you'll have a 9)
Appearance: 9
HP Gains per dollar: 8 (in comparison to other kits out there)
Pricing (retail): 6

I'd like to thank Nick with Brute Force AEM for the opportunity to test their stuff. You Rock.

Jesse@truckaddons.com

Closed Thread