Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #1
zukgod1

Name: zukgod1
Title: Old fart
Member`s Gallery
Test Drove Smarty

So I test drove a Smart during lunch today.

I wasn’t as excited as I thought I would be, maybe I built it up in my mind to be more than it was…
Anyway, we loaded the #8 on there and went for a drive. Didn’t notice anything till about 2100rpm them it was really strong till about 2700 and that was it. It smoked just as much as before, I really didnt notice much more with the Smarty.
Loaded #3 in timing, fuel etc and went for another drive, now that was better for sure. Less smoke and it seemed to keep the EGT's a bit cooler for longer.

I was concerned about running the Comp box with the timing feature on the Smarty but that was the only way I could really tell a difference.
I should have tried it on #9 but time was short and the traffic was kind getting in the way.
I still wasn’t all giddy after the drive like I expected, it was fun but I’ll have a hard time spending 6 bills on it.
Not to say I’m not going to it just won’t be as soon as I had originally planned.

dan

Old 08-08-2006, 06:52 PM   #2
Burner

Name: Burner
Title: slow poke
Member`s Gallery
Never judge by your SOP......

Old 08-09-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
zukgod1

Member`s Gallery
Ya know originally I did however, I also mentioned the EGT and smoke reduction with the #3 program.
I didnt want to try anything higher with the timing added with the Comp box.
I would reallylike to try it again on the higher level with the comp off and on to compair the differance. Not the differance in the Comp/Smarty but the differance with the Smarty combined with the Comp timing.

The biggest thing that I liked was the EGT and smoke reduction, I would really liked to have tried it on a higher setting with timing but time ran out.

What would be the concern/problem with the combined timing? I would assume it would depend on the program selected.?

dan

Last edited by zukgod1; 08-09-2006 at 11:44 PM.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #4
Burner

Member`s Gallery
If you don't have a dyno handy, get a cheap version of the G-Tech. Make sure your weight and boost is correct. I think they're 120 bucks or so. .......I have one somewhere.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:28 PM   #5
zukgod1

Member`s Gallery
ya know what though, I dont really care what a dyno says. For me it's all about the every day use. If I hook up my Jeep and head to the hills and I can run it without babysitting the EGT than I'm happy. 350hp or 600hp doesnt matter.
What I dont need or want is a truck thats fast from 0-60. Doesnt mean crap to me, fun yes usfull no.

I need to be able to use my truck and that's where the comment on the EGT and timing comes from. I noticed the Smarty kept the EGT a bit lower longer on the setting with the timing.

Thanks for the input.

dan

Old 08-09-2006, 02:18 PM   #6
duke1n

Name: duke1n
Title: Banned
Member`s Gallery
Did it over-ride the stock ecm defueling that occurs at 2750 rpm? I would have thought it would have pulled past 2700 as you stated above?

Old 08-09-2006, 02:28 PM   #7
zukgod1

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke1n
Did it over-ride the stock ecm defueling that occurs at 2750 rpm? I would have thought it would have pulled past 2700 as you stated above?
It went right past 2700 it just didnt pull hard at that level, I have the Drag Comp so the factory ECM de fuel is gone already.

dan

Old 08-09-2006, 02:36 PM   #8
mx333

Name: mx333
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I sure would be interested in test driving a smarty for a couple hours or so. Hey zukgod wsa it a dealer that let you test dirve ot or a buddy or what. I got that super 62 in my truck but it only build 35 psi if i'm lucky. Call me *********thanks skyler i got some questions

Last edited by Billysgoat; 08-09-2006 at 06:29 PM.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:26 PM   #9
zukgod1

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx333
I sure would be interested in test driving a smarty for a couple hours or so. Hey zukgod wsa it a dealer that let you test dirve ot or a buddy or what. I got that super 62 in my truck but it only build 35 psi if i'm lucky. Call me ********** thanks skyler i got some questions

Hey Skyler, glad you came over, welcome to the Cool Board.

I'll call ya on the way home tonight.

I was able to get Industrial Injection to do a demo for me, it wasnt and wont be a 2 hr test but they will load it and take you for a drive around the block .

I have some ideas on your boost as well, we can talk tonight.

dan

Last edited by Billysgoat; 08-09-2006 at 06:30 PM.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:14 PM   #10
Burner

Member`s Gallery
Dan, wan't Implying that you would do 0-60 or 1/4 mile runs. If you imput the weight and boost correctly, the G-Tech will give you RWHP. I thought you wanted the fastest thing you could get your hands on without get'n too hot or having to lift. .....I'd like the same thing but I think TWINS are our answer.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #11
duke1n

Name: duke1n
Title: Banned
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukgod1
It went right past 2700 it just didnt pull hard at that level, I have the Drag Comp so the factory ECM de fuel is gone already.

dan
Dan, the crux of my question is does the smarty over-ride defueling? Yes, a Drag Comp does this on 5x5 only. If you turn the Comp down to 4x5 does it still fuel past 2750?

Old 08-09-2006, 11:43 PM   #12
zukgod1

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke1n
Dan, the crux of my question is does the smarty over-ride defueling? Yes, a Drag Comp does this on 5x5 only. If you turn the Comp down to 4x5 does it still fuel past 2750?

I think it does, I"ll try it in the morning and report. I do belive I read Bob telling someone the Smarty does remove the factory de fueling as well,

The more I think about it the more I want one (Smarty). I think I'll add head studs first however, with the added timing I dont want to be heading to MOAB and have a failure out there in the middle of nowheresville.

Head Studs, then Smarty in the mix now.

dan

Last edited by zukgod1; 08-09-2006 at 11:48 PM.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:46 PM   #13
zukgod1

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner
Dan, wan't Implying that you would do 0-60 or 1/4 mile runs. If you imput the weight and boost correctly, the G-Tech will give you RWHP. I thought you wanted the fastest thing you could get your hands on without get'n too hot or having to lift. .....I'd like the same thing but I think TWINS are our answer.

I TOTALLY agree, I'm heading for head studs as soon as I can hide the money then a Smarty, then TWINS baby!!!!! I should be able to pull a house to MOAB then.

dan

Closed Thread