Best way to 500hp from a 7.3

Honestly if I where a Ford guy which I am not I would try to copy Mech2161's setup. He makes 500hp or really close to it. Very streetable. Heck I have seen tow a blown up Dmax with it.

Very nice truck IMHO.

If I did go cummins which trans can hold the power?
keep the 4r100 or whatever is in my truck now?
5ninef250 said:
If you are a patient/savvy buyer/seller of parts (Ebay), its amazing how cheap you can get things done:rockwoot:
I'm the ultimate get it done cheap tinker cheap wait for a better deal guy,
How do you think I've got 3 street bikes, a new quad, a race car, and this huge lifted f250 @ 22 years old making $11 an hour plus paying bills, lmao!
no parents to help me out, **** I was paying my moms rent too, she was on HUDD, till she went to jail,:doh: stupid parents....

so what can I turn around and sell this powerstroke for? sh*t I might already know a guy interested in it, he's got a 5.4 excursion, and wanting a powerstroke for it.... of course I was the one telling him to man up and buy a common rail tho:bang

JOHNBOY said:
Honestly if I where a Ford guy which I am not I would try to copy Mech2161's setup. He makes 500hp or really close to it. Very streetable. Heck I have seen tow a blown up Dmax with it.

Very nice truck IMHO.

Talk to Bean at Beans diesel performance as well. Bean has helped me get to where I am. Compared to Kevin, Mech, I am nothing however I do look at all of the pics of his truck I can find to copy what looks good. I am at 480hp with the injectors turned down and fuel pressure dropping enough to see the boost drop as well. Fuel system going in this weekend and the tunes already tweaked for more fuel. We will see what it does in a couple of weeks when I take it to the track again to beat my best of 13.98 @ 95.22mph.

FWIW, I tow a trailer about half the miles I drive. Example, the family went to DisneyLand last week and we took our travel trailer, 10K. We had to go over the grapevine on the way,that is one hell of a pull. It pulled better than it ever pulled before with the new sticks and turbo. Then pulled it so Sacrament, back over the grapevine, so I could compete at the truck drag races last Sunday. Plus, as the other pullers I sled pull with, I pull said trailer to all the pulls so the kids have a place to stay and a place to keep the beer cold. Bean can help you out as well as Luke Cline as he tows with his 600hp powerstroke.

I was looking into a cummins swap a few months ago. But then I got to where I said Hell no. Everybody is doing it so I am not and here I am with an almost fully built powerstroke.

Good luck with your decision.

Keep Strokin'

strokin_early99 said:
Keep Strokin'

if I said i wanted 700+hp outa my 7.3 how many would say :badidea: :umno:

but If i started putting together and talking about some phat bastard turbo powered cummins and 1000hp how many would be like :woohoo: :Cheer: :evil :bow:

RideIcon said:

but If i started putting together and talking about some phat bastard turbo powered cummins and 1000hp how many would be like :woohoo: :Cheer: :evil :bow:
My 7.3's don't dyno well, but a 110mph trap speed out of a 7450lb daily driver calculates around 650rwhp.
no smoke cruising, great towing power and haven't had a dodge outrun me yet on the street:poke:
Ya it's not a 1000hp cummins but the wife drives it everyday instead of me working on it all the time like the other high horsepower trucks around.

With the parts in my sig i'm right at 500. I've got enough fuel for more. Swamps has a guy that's running really well on the stock forged rod short block. . .i'm not sure what kind of pixie dust they're using, but it sure runs good. 700hp isn't out of the question w/a powerstroke. . .but it will required compounds, or NOS and all the other goodies.

Oh, and keep the 4R100, once built they are a wicked tranny.

RideIcon said:

700hp on a PSD is already come to fruition. BigRPowr made 759 on giggle juice. Kia did 636hp 1200+tq #2 only uncorrected 9/12/07 single 64mm turbo. Dockboy did 758hp and 1200tq on giggle juice. Blowby did 603hp / #2 and 726hp on N2O. Lukecline did 600hp on #2 only. I'm bored doing the research for you. If you want to build it, build it.

You think you are going to build a 1000hp cummins to swap in your truck for less than building a 700hp PSD? :hehe: You are high!

Later

strokin_early99 said:
700hp on a PSD is already come to fruition. BigRPowr made 759 on giggle juice. Kia did 636hp 1200+tq #2 only uncorrected 9/12/07 single 64mm turbo. Dockboy did 758hp and 1200tq on giggle juice. Blowby did 603hp / #2 and 726hp on N2O. Lukecline did 600hp on #2 only. I'm bored doing the research for you. If you want to build it, build it.

You think you are going to build a 1000hp cummins to swap in your truck for less than building a 700hp PSD? :hehe: You are high!

Later

I don't want a 1000hp, at least not right now, but who knows I may want more and more and more, and at some point im sure i will be like :bang i should have just done the cummins in the first place, lol

alright, what if I say Im going to forget my current drag car project, and go nuts with my truck, I need to be able to run on SVO or WVO,
more power the better!
cheaper is better too
but more power is even better, think BIG
I like having the ability to flip a switch or change a program to have a more streetable, better fuel efficient tune, which doesn't happen on a 12V...
so common rail swap or 12V??? can I run dual electric fuel pumps and shut one down to change the tune/ ecconimy characteristics of a 12V?? or is it just once its set its set? if I'm worried about that should I just get a common rail? its going to cost more to get 800+hp out of a common rail tho, lol

a local 06 6.0 owner comes to mind.... after a few cracked heads, blown head gaskets and bad EGR's he decided to do rods, heads, head studs, fuel system, and turbo... all that and hes got a 500hp truck. He's got enough in it now that he wishes he would have just swapped a CR to start with.

Lavon

LAmiller said:
a local 06 6.0 owner comes to mind.... after a few cracked heads, blown head gaskets and bad EGR's he decided to do rods, heads, head studs, fuel system, and turbo... all that and hes got a 500hp truck. He's got enough in it now that he wishes he would have just swapped a CR to start with.

Lavon

I've got a couple buddies w/6.0's. . .delete the egr cooler and it will never give you a problem. . .pretty cheap mod. Once the heads warp, machine them and put them back in w/studs and you'll never have problems again. Powerstrokes aren't bad motors. If you're shooting for 500ish hp, then the cost to mode a powerstroke to that point is less than converting to a cummins and then modding the cummins to 500hp. Once you hit a point, modding the cummins and modding the powerstroke cost about the same, but currently, the cummins will be able to support more HP. So, if stupid HP is what you're after then go cummins, but if 5-600 is what you're thinking, stick w/the powerstroke.

Ehhh, full interior 4 door, haven't gotten the thing in paint yet, don't want to loose my license AGAIN, i just got it back like 3 days ago after 2 years, lol.
I've been putting off the finishing parts on that car for months.... stupid car...
its a low 11's high 10's car, should be right at 500hp how its set up now, although engine is capable of holding a little over 700 how its set up...
stock trans isn't going to hold 500hp for long tho....
kinda want to part it out now, and by a common rail!
All I need is to get the car painted, put the LSD in the trans, injectors and an intake manifold and my build on that car is done...
should have dumped all that $$$ into the truck....

Back