machine shop prep

Two head bolts through a chain in the center of the block. Take some care to not crunch the chain against the deck.

Now that I've been doing it that way for the last few years I expect to be told it's all wrong.

Remove the rear lift bracket off the head and use one of the bolts to bolt it to the deck of the block in the middle head bolt hole.
If you don't trust the lift bracket bolt for depth, use a block plate bolt or a motor mount bolt.

I've done this literally hundreds of times, with ZERO bad results.

Mark.

So with one or two bolts you don't think there is a good risk of pulling the threads out of the block?

To be honest the two bolts thru the chain idea was my first thought but then I said "wait...that's stupid" LOLLOLLOLLOL I guess maybe I am over thinking it and my first instinct was fine.

I do like using the lift plate idea to be easier to hook and unhook.

Any other ideas or is this the way to go?

I've used 2 bolts through the top several times and no issues. I also use 4 bolts and my hoist angle device as well.

Every machine shop I've ever used loads blocks up with a single eye bolt like Mark described.

I don't know about short blocks though.

Last edited:
If you can't do yourself without popping a nut get a buddy and pick the phucking block up and put in bed or van or trunk and bring to machine shop? Lol wtf really?

If you can't do yourself without popping a nut get a buddy and pick the phucking block up and put in bed or van or trunk and bring to machine shop? Lol wtf really?
I work alone, ergo I work smarter, not harder. :)

The pic attached shows the device I move engines and parts with (a Yale electric pallet jack, with a cherry picker boom assembly welded to it), yet it has done so much more than just engines in the few years I have had it.
Note the lifting bracket, hanging off the hook, with the bolt sticking through it.

Mark.

Attachments

• Cherry Jack.jpg
    Cherry Jack.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
So with one or two bolts you don't think there is a good risk of pulling the threads out of the block?

To be honest the two bolts thru the chain idea was my first thought but then I said "wait...that's stupid" LOLLOLLOLLOL I guess maybe I am over thinking it and my first instinct was fine.

I do like using the lift plate idea to be easier to hook and unhook.

Any other ideas or is this the way to go?

Figure out what the clamp load is on a ARP 625 stud, then compare what a fully loaded cummins weighs, and you'll see you have a very large safety margin before the threads come out of the block. That being said, my first choice is eyebolts. But most people don't have M12 eye bolts laying around, so bolts through the chain is my back up choice.

The pic attached shows the device I move engines and parts with (a Yale electric pallet jack, with a cherry picker boom assembly welded to it), yet it has done so much more than just engines in the few years I have had it.
Note the lifting bracket, hanging off the hook, with the bolt sticking through it.

Mark.

That is genius, actually.

Mark.

This is bad a$$

Mark.

surprise you didnt run a hose to the lift cyl. Wouldn't that be smarter and less harder than pumping that bottle jack?

I've got a neighbor from Easter Island. Old guy, doesn't talk much. Good at moving heavy stuff.

Back