Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 98-02 2nd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 11:07 PM   #1
maddog912

Name: maddog912
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Brake Upgrade

Has any looked at putting 2001 front brake calipers on a 1998? looking for caliper upgrade options.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:53 AM   #2
Stormin08

Name: Stormin08
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
I don't think it will be straight bolt one...just by running part numbers, they don't appear to be the same.

Last edited by Stormin08; 03-23-2018 at 06:56 AM.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:44 AM   #3
jlbayes

Name: jlbayes
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Not even close to the same nor will adapting them be easy. Your two options are a Ford knuckle swap or a Dodge Dana 60 swap from a 00-02 truck.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:51 AM   #4
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I did that on my 97 and it worked. Swapped the hubs and rotors to the 98+ style, did the calipers as well.

I didn't notice a performance different, it's just WAY WAY easier to swap my rotors now.

*You have to plug the ABS port on the hub.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:58 AM   #5
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
I did that on my 97 and it worked. Swapped the hubs and rotors to the 98+ style, did the calipers as well.

I didn't notice a performance different, it's just WAY WAY easier to swap my rotors now.

Did anything not bolt up? I would really like to do this to my tow truck. Always wondered what the difference was in the bearing itself that prevented you from doing it

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #6
odieub

Name: odieub
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Lets see some pics. Out board rotors didnt start till 2000 and they got dual piston calipers too. But the knuckles are backwards to the 99 down. Ball joint presses in knuckle and the taper hole is in axle housing. Where the 2000 and newer balljoint presses in housing and taper hole is in knuckle.
95 2500 2wd rclb nv5600 500k 5x.012 ddp 887 pump, #11 plate hx35/40-14cm
16 3500 4wd aisin cclb dually flatbed, toy hauler

Old 03-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #7
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by odieub View Post
Lets see some pics. Out board rotors didnt start till 2000 and they got dual piston calipers too. But the knuckles are backwards to the 99 down. Ball joint presses in knuckle and the taper hole is in axle housing. Where the 2000 and newer balljoint presses in housing and taper hole is in knuckle.
I'll see if I can get some together. The way this came to be is, I needed rotors and hubs, didn't have much money (was in college back then), found some Timken hubs at the same time. I went to toss them on and realized the studs were too small, but the hubs bolted up.
I ran to O'Reilly's in the car with one of the hubs, found the rotors to match them and got the calipers that were made for that offset. I got back and bolted it all together. No issues.

I can't speak to PNs on this or exact years, but it was definitely different than my 97 stock stuff, and I've tossed replacement rotors and pads on since and just grabbed them from O'Reilly's again asking for a 98 setup. Maybe I've just got a Frankenstein and it seems to just bolt up and work well?

Old 03-23-2018, 12:00 PM   #8
97rada

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I'll see if I can get some together. The way this came to be is, I needed rotors and hubs, didn't have much money (was in college back then), found some Timken hubs at the same time. I went to toss them on and realized the studs were too small, but the hubs bolted up.

I ran to O'Reilly's in the car with one of the hubs, found the rotors to match them and got the calipers that were made for that offset. I got back and bolted it all together. No issues.

I can't speak to PNs on this or exact years, but it was definitely different than my 97 stock stuff, and I've tossed replacement rotors and pads on since and just grabbed them from O'Reilly's again asking for a 98 setup. Maybe I've just got a Frankenstein and it seems to just bolt up and work well?

I really hope it's that easy. I don't see how it would be any different to be honest and it would make life upfront so much easier

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:57 PM   #9
jlbayes

Member`s Gallery
It's not. The 00+ axles use opposing ball joint angles. The 94-99 axles are inline ball joints with single piston calipers.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:00 PM   #10
97rada

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbayes View Post
It's not. The 00+ axles use opposing ball joint angles. The 94-99 axles are inline ball joints with single piston calipers.

What's that have to do with the bearing ? No one is talking about changing the knuckle. Just bolt the bearing on and the brakes. I don't see what would change?

Old 03-23-2018, 07:14 PM   #11
maddog912

Name: maddog912
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I knew they switched the knuckle brake set up in 2000. Looking to try to upgrade to a multi piston caliper. Doesn't look like there is much of an option for the 2wds.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:27 PM   #12
odieub

Name: odieub
Member`s Gallery
The way the calipers bolt up is totally different. A 00-02 caliper i dont think will ever start to bolt to a 94-99.
95 2500 2wd rclb nv5600 500k 5x.012 ddp 887 pump, #11 plate hx35/40-14cm
16 3500 4wd aisin cclb dually flatbed, toy hauler

Old 03-26-2018, 07:53 AM   #13
jlbayes

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97rada View Post
What's that have to do with the bearing ? No one is talking about changing the knuckle. Just bolt the bearing on and the brakes. I don't see what would change?
It has everything to do with it based on how the caliper mounts as well as the rotor. The bearings are different, the rotor hat depth is different and the caliper attachment.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #14
97rada

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbayes View Post
It has everything to do with it based on how the caliper mounts as well as the rotor. The bearings are different, the rotor hat depth is different and the caliper attachment.

Only thing I am to terrible concerned with is mounting the caliper. I just need time to run to a parts store and see what's needed. Rotors bearings ect can be swapped to get the right depth and offset I would think

Closed Thread