Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Import Diesel
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Import Diesel VW TDI, Mercedes, and other Import Diesel Discussion can be found here.

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 09:24 PM   #1
P&R_TDI

Name: P&R_TDI
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Deleting my EGR on my 99.5 Jetta

Alright guys i bought my jetta to get awesome fuel mileage driving back and forth to work. It's at least an hour drive one way depending on where we're working at that day. I get 50 mpg right now with the EGR still intact but i'm thinking about deleting it. Will it effect my mileage? Which kit is a good one? i don't need massive HP gains for my work beater as long as it gets good mileage and gets me there and back every day i'll be happy.
Thanks, Max

Old 07-25-2017, 10:12 PM   #2
okie18

Name: okie18
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
It won't hurt you're milage and it'll keep from adding any more carbon build up in the intake. Aa Rodriguez and darkside developments both make good kits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Old 07-26-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
You'll also want to route your PCV to the exhaust. Then you can clean your whole intake track and, short of the turbo leaking oil, you should keep a very clean intake.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
Billysgoat

Name: Billysgoat
Title: The ANTI-BLING!
Member`s Gallery
If you have access to basic metal work items and some time you can make your own delete kit. The biggest pain will be removing the gunk from the intake and rerouting the coolant hose once the cooler is gone. Get VCDS ( I have a cable I'll sell pretty cheap BTW) and clean out and remove the valve itself in the intake track, change one value and no tune etc needed.

Plan to reseal the injector pump, common issue with biodiesel, easy fix and will keep you from getting stranded.

03 Dog, named Clifford, to heavy to be fast.
11 335D, the grin machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
I was there & I herd Heath say.........."LET GO OF MY EARS, I KNOW WHAT I`M DOING"

BTB,BBB

Old 07-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #5
andy2

Name: andy2
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
If not looking for power/modding then I'd be inclined to keep a properly working egr system and do a CCV relocate to the exhaust or catch can/filter (provent) then back to intake.Clean the intake manifold if needed.

Deleting the EGR helps keeps the engine from reaching operating temperature quicker.Also in colder climates the EGR valve and cooler will help keep the engine at operating temperature and allow you to have warm cabin heat.

Edit: also you would need a tune to ignore the deleted EGR and keep the ecu out of limp mode/low power.The 99.5 requires socketing the ECU in order accept the re programed chips.
97 Ram cab chassis 4x4,compounds 51/62/9 and 62/64/19,southbend OFE, BD intercooler,#11 fuel plate,3gsk,60# exh springs.13 Jetta TDI.94 Golf TDI Drag car 10.62@134mph.86 Samurai buggy TDI

Last edited by andy2; 07-28-2017 at 05:29 PM.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:49 PM   #6
P&R_TDI

Name: P&R_TDI
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2 View Post
If not looking for power/modding then I'd be inclined to keep a properly working egr system and do a CCV relocate to the exhaust or catch can/filter (provent) then back to intake.Clean the intake manifold if needed.

Deleting the EGR helps keeps the engine from reaching operating temperature quicker.Also in colder climates the EGR valve and cooler will help keep the engine at operating temperature and allow you to have warm cabin heat.

Edit: also you would need a tune to ignore the deleted EGR and keep the ecu out of limp mode/low power.The 99.5 requires socketing the ECU in order accept the re programed chips.
Yeah I live in Wisconsin so cabin heat sounds pretty good.. Not at the moment but it will come a few months.
Only reason i was thinking about deleting it in the first place was because my Check Engine light popped on after i had the injection pump rebuilt. Took it back to the shop to have it scanned and the guy told me the EGR was stuck closed. He then suggested i just delete it.

Closed Thread