Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- GM > GM Tech > 6.2 and 6.5 GM Diesel
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

6.2 and 6.5 GM Diesel Discuss the 6.2 and 6.5 GM Diesels here

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
ewilliams

Name: ewilliams
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Aerated fuel, Ingection pump, waste gate, codes P1214 P1656

My Truck:
1996 Chevy 3500 HD, 6.5 turbo diesel, manual trans

Some history:
For the last 2-3 years, lots of black smoke exits the tailpipe when I’m over approx 1/3 into the throttle. The amount of smoke is consistent and doesn’t change if im at half or full throttle.
For a long time the power hasn’t been all that it should be but, it has been running smooth, I’m not really into the throttle more than 1/3 anyway, and it gets about 17 mpg in the city so I have just lived with the black smoke and little power.

Here is my recent issue:
Last week the truck started bucking (did this three times) accelerating from a stop, while in second gear approx 1/3 throttle. The first two times I just babied it… the third time I put the pedal to the floor until it stopped (all 3 times, probably lasted for 4 to 5 seconds or so). An amazing thing happened after the 3rd time, It stopped smoking! There was a difference though… I noticed that even if I put my foot to the floor and there is no smoke and it seemed like it was governed… you know it just wouldn’t rev up over about low 1,000’s RPM. So I drove it that way for the next 2 days. During that time, it stalled a few times at inconsistent intervals similar to issues with and I assumed it must be the PMD, even though it’s relatively new as stated above. Eventually it stalled for the last time and I had to be towed to the mechanic shop.

My mechanic said:
1. Fuel gauge very low, fuel was aerated, need to put fuel in tank, need to prime system. (My fuel gauge doesn’t work and is on E all the time… actually, the tank is about ¾ full)
2. Found error codes P1214 and P1656.
3. He said needs new injection pump and waste gate solenoid.

Any advise/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I’m trying to wrap my head around this issue before moving forward with installing a new injection pump. Something tells me that most mechanics may jump to conclusion regarding the injection pump because of the known issues. I’m concerned that if I move forward with replacing the pump without identifying the cause of Aerated fuel and Possibility of PMD issue, I may set the stage for another pump failure.

Closed Thread