Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
mattpopp

Name: mattpopp
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
6.7 68RFE swap to 48RE

Guys I need help. I am getting to the point that I need to go in one of two directions. Over a year ago I put the Sun Coast 68 in my truck with a Goerend triple disc. At the time the tranny was more then enough but today I am roughly at 700hp with this truck. So the current tranny is not going to hold. I have two options. One is to go back to Sun Coast and get this tranny updated to the newest one for $4900 with a Billet Flex Plate. Second would be to do a 48RE swap in this truck using a Goerend. The Goerend would cost $5400 with the Sun Coast stand alone VB and Flex Plate. Add another $500-$600 for the PCS controller.

What would yall do? The new 68 seems pretty tough but there are very few High HP trucks running them.

The 48 swap is very appealing to me but what will I be running into as this is my Daily Driver. It needs to be reliable.

What is needed to do the 48 swap? I know the drive shafts are the same from a 2006 Mega cab to a 2007.5 Mega cab. But what else? Will the adapter plate on the 6.7 engine work? How will the linkage line up? Oil cooler lines? Does anybody on here have any first hand knowledge of doing this swap. Any info would be awesome.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
DieselBulldog10

Name: DieselBulldog10
Title: Rollin Heads
Member`s Gallery
subscribed.... Interested to hear what everyone says

The question is not how far The question is do you possess the constitution the depth of faith to go as far as is needed

Old 02-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
Smokin' LB7

Name: Smokin' LB7
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
The Co-Pilot has changed the 68RFE. It can hold the power now

Old 02-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
mattpopp

Member`s Gallery
I am sure I will end up going back to Sun Coast to get the tranny updated but I want to cover all of my angles on this. Just need to be sure for my own piece in mind. Alot of money is going to be spent and it needs to be spent correctly. At least it is alot of money in my opinion.

LB7,
The Co-pilot is out but what is alot of power?

Old 02-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' LB7 View Post
The Co-Pilot has changed the 68RFE. It can hold the power now
Do tell more....that's pretty vague!

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 02-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Acorn 616

Name: Acorn 616
Member`s Gallery
The 48re can be very dependable!
Have you called Dave G. yet Matt?

Old 02-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
rjp

Name: rjp
Title: Go or Blow
Member`s Gallery
There was a 68/48 swap done at a known Tranny shop not to long ago and it ran over 10k by the time all the parts and pieces as well as labor involved to do the transplant was complete.

JUST SAYIN

The co-pilot does sound very interesting to me. It may also end up on my truck to do a comparison between it and the tcm tuned by Dave.Dave has a updated version that i will switch to when i get the truck back up and running that should improve a few things that needed to be addressed.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
Runninlean

Name: Runninlean
Title: Say When racing
Member`s Gallery
Do something you big weenie........

Old 02-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
Smokin' LB7

Name: Smokin' LB7
Member`s Gallery
The Co-Pilot adjust line pressure based on engine load (throttle, boost, Speed, Ect) and enables a much higher torque capacity. This is the main thing that REALLY makes the 68RFE hold, because stock the TCM only allows for about 150psi line pressure, where the Co-Pilot and modified valvebody ramp the pressure up to around 300-310psi.

Along with line pressure, the co-pilot also fixes the weak low roller clutch issue. The tiny little low roller clutch cant hold much power no matter what you do, so the co-pilot brings on another clutch to take some of the load off and split the power between the two packs.

There are also different modes such as Performance/Race and Tow/Daily Drive mode

An ATS 68RFE and Co-Pilot has been FLAWLESSLY holding over 700hp and over 1400ft/lbs

Last edited by Smokin' LB7; 02-04-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #10
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
What about for a 2010 truck? I don't know of any options for them, other than H&S Overdrive software....

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 02-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #11
rjp

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' LB7 View Post
The Co-Pilot adjust line pressure based on engine load (throttle, boost, Speed, Ect) and enables a much higher torque capacity. This is the main thing that REALLY makes the 68RFE hold, because stock the TCM only allows for about 150psi line pressure, where the Co-Pilot and modified valvebody ramp the pressure up to around 300-310psi.

Along with line pressure, the co-pilot also fixes the weak low roller clutch issue. The tiny little low roller clutch cant hold much power no matter what you do, so the co-pilot brings on another clutch to take some of the load off and split the power between the two packs.

There are also different modes such as Performance/Race and Tow/Daily Drive mode

An ATS 68RFE and Co-Pilot has been FLAWLESSLY holding over 700hp and over 1400ft/lbs
Well first off the stock tcm can be programed and commanded to produce whatever pressure the master wants.
Now to get that pressure over 150 to 160 will require some pump mods.

Dont really want to get into this very heavy but the Sprag issue has been fixed by Suncoast for quit some time and has not had one fail to this day,so in short i would say it can.

Never the less this should be very interesting to see how the Pilot compares to my current setup.

JUST SAYIN

Old 02-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #12
rjp

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature600 View Post
What about for a 2010 truck? I don't know of any options for them, other than H&S Overdrive software....

Chris
Its being tested with the comp68 now.

Tuned by B&G

Old 02-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #13
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjp View Post
Its being tested with the comp68 now.

Tuned by B&G
Yeah, Ron is supposed to be letting me know when they have something ready!

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 02-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #14
rjp

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature600 View Post
Yeah, Ron is supposed to be letting me know when they have something ready!

Chris
Talked with him yesterday and it sounded good. Should be very soon.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:13 AM   #15
rbmedic75

Name: rbmedic75
Title: Cummins Fanatic
Member`s Gallery
Matt my simple minded thoughts would be to stick with the 68RFE. go back to suncoast get the upgrades ya need. Or sit back a few months with a 2x4 under the skinny pedal wait and see what EFI does in fact accomplish with controling of the 68RFE and then decide. If you like the options EFI will give with the 68RFE THEN go back to Suncoast and get all upgraded.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:25 AM   #16
SCHOOL BUS

Name: SCHOOL BUS
Title: DLRA T-O
Member`s Gallery
Matt what are you getting for the 4900? Don't you already have a pretty stout trans already?

Old 02-05-2011, 07:06 AM   #17
mattpopp

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHOOL BUS View Post
Matt what are you getting for the 4900? Don't you already have a pretty stout trans already?
Yes and no, when the truck was a 400hp truck the tranny was stout. Now not so much and thats not even with a few mods that I still plan to do. Like the side entry Intake, Port polished head, MP8, and a couple of other things. But just with the MP8 and som tweaking on the Dyno I know this truck will make 700 or better.

This tranny will hold pretty well as Long as I am in a gear and it is not shift either up ro down. The shifting is this trannys issue, it will not hold up if I demand power during a shift so I have to be very careful. The other issue is that the 68 will sense the amount of load that is applied to it and if it is to much it will unlock the converter. So right now Smarty #5 is the highest I can run without the TC unlock in 6th gear at any rpm.

I am pretty sure that I will be going to Sun Coast in March for the upgraded tranny. My quest here was to make sure that I explored every option. I did not want to find out that I could of did a Built Goerend 48 swap for $2000 more then the upgraded 68. The Goerend tranny would have gave me a 3 year warranty which as we all know he stands behind.

$4900 is getting my current Sun Coast upgraded to the Comp68, a billet Flex Plate, and installed at Sun Coast. Which at the end of the day I will have about $11k in this damn transmission. Sickening feeling setting in at the bottom of my stomach right now.

Yes, I have talked to Dave G. Matter of fact I spoke to him yesterday. I can get a built 48 from him with Billet input, Billet Output, Sun Coast Stand Alone VB, and Billet Flex Plate for around $5000. Then add another $600 for the PCS controller. But I have no idea what else I need to make this work. He would take my 68 in for the core. I also already have a Goerend Torque Converter so he would swap it out for a 48. Add in freight for all of this and I am up to about $6000. For Misc crap and labor to have somebody install this I figure anout 2000 to 3000 just depending on what else there could possibly be.

So as much as I want to put a 48 in my truck I think the Comp68 is the practical answer. Not to mention that Ronnie has yet to break one. Knock on Wood.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #18
rjp

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpopp View Post
Yes and no, when the truck was a 400hp truck the tranny was stout. Now not so much and thats not even with a few mods that I still plan to do. Like the side entry Intake, Port polished head, MP8, and a couple of other things. But just with the MP8 and som tweaking on the Dyno I know this truck will make 700 or better.

This tranny will hold pretty well as Long as I am in a gear and it is not shift either up ro down. The shifting is this trannys issue, it will not hold up if I demand power during a shift so I have to be very careful. The other issue is that the 68 will sense the amount of load that is applied to it and if it is to much it will unlock the converter. So right now Smarty #5 is the highest I can run without the TC unlock in 6th gear at any rpm.

I am pretty sure that I will be going to Sun Coast in March for the upgraded tranny. My quest here was to make sure that I explored every option. I did not want to find out that I could of did a Built Goerend 48 swap for $2000 more then the upgraded 68. The Goerend tranny would have gave me a 3 year warranty which as we all know he stands behind.

$4900 is getting my current Sun Coast upgraded to the Comp68, a billet Flex Plate, and installed at Sun Coast. Which at the end of the day I will have about $11k in this damn transmission. Sickening feeling setting in at the bottom of my stomach right now.

Yes, I have talked to Dave G. Matter of fact I spoke to him yesterday. I can get a built 48 from him with Billet input, Billet Output, Sun Coast Stand Alone VB, and Billet Flex Plate for around $5000. Then add another $600 for the PCS controller. But I have no idea what else I need to make this work. He would take my 68 in for the core. I also already have a Goerend Torque Converter so he would swap it out for a 48. Add in freight for all of this and I am up to about $6000. For Misc crap and labor to have somebody install this I figure anout 2000 to 3000 just depending on what else there could possibly be.

So as much as I want to put a 48 in my truck I think the Comp68 is the practical answer. Not to mention that Ronnie has yet to break one. Knock on Wood.
Matt,
I don't know if you caught this but there is a new version TCM tune that is supposed to address some of the things i hate about the tunning.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #19
Acorn 616

Name: Acorn 616
Member`s Gallery
If you're planning on taking it somewhere to have the swap, talk to Ashley Black. He did my swap, and it would prob end up around $2k for parts and labor total. Prob have it done in a day if parts were waiting when you got there.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #20
bdp

Name: bdp
Title: beans diesel performance
Member`s Gallery
You will just need to change the adapter plate and flex plate, the 48 is just a bit different depth wise.

We did one last year but I dont remember what all we had to do, pretty sure all you will need is the adapter plate, flex plate and a mount.

Closed Thread