48RE Performance Transmission Rebuild

Big blue- can you maybe take pics of the difference between 47rh, 47re and the 48re?

I want to rebuild my 47re using 48re parts but I don't know if it's really worth it. My another questions, when 48re parts will be really good to have in the 47re/h at what power level?

And also thank for take time to share this rebuild with us.

All of the upgraded parts have arrived so it's time to start the rebuild process.

Billet Anchor, Strut, & 4.2 ratio lever, these are required to deal with the elevated line pressure in a performance transmission and are applied during 2nd gear. I've had the best luck with 2-3 shift timing using the 4.2 ratio lever vs 3.8, 4.4, or 5.0.

Parts1_zpse275f625.jpg

Sonnax upgraded low/reverse servo, I only upgrade this servo when the stock one is extremely worn, or the end user is notorious for manual 1-2 gear shifts.

Parts2_zps83d6dff3.jpg

Sonnax upgraded 2nd/intermediate servo cover with added seal to stop leakage and clean-up the 2-3 gear shift. I don't use aftermarket oversized 2nd gear servos because I've never had good luck with 2-3 shift timing. Also, on a super high line pressure build, the oversized servo combined with 200+ psi line pressure can cause the billet lever to break the main transmission case or break the band.

Parts3_zpsf707ddca.jpg

My typical parts supplier was out of new 48re pump gears, so I sprung for this fancy teflon-coated pump gear setup.

Parts4_zps0d0e5ab8.jpg

New thrust washers for this rebuild, on a budget rebuild, many of the stock thrust washers can be reused.

Parts6_zps89309742.jpg

Parts21_zpsd512a3ed.jpg

This upgraded sonnax stator support bushing is a pain to install requiring patience, the freezer for the bushing, and small brake hone if it's too tight on the input shaft. For a beginner builder, I'd skip this bushing and install a stock one or reuse the old one if it's in good shape.

Parts7_zps3898a8cf.jpg

Stepped backing plate for (1) additional overdrive brake clutch. This 48re was rebuilt by a Dodge dealer and they removed the stepped backing plate and installed a 47re backing plate which dropped the clutch count, so now I had to buy an aftermarket 47re upgrade plate to bring it back to the stock (6) clutch overdrive setup.

Parts8_zps14c8fcb2.jpg

Slimmer 3rd gear/direct clutch backing plate so (6) factory thickness clutches can be installed.

Parts9_zpse53f8036.jpg

New 2nd gear flex band, decided to try a PATC brass mixture friction composition flex band in lieu of my standard $15 kevlar lined flex band.

Parts10_zps010dedb5.jpg

Extra clutches for the over stock count clutch pack upgrades:

Parts11_zpsf38a9515.jpg

New sprags, for my personal transmissions I usually re-use the stock sprags since they rarely fail, but on a higher $$$ rebuild, $50 for both sprags is cheap insurance.

Parts20_zpsbede5873.jpg

New bushings, many of the stock ones will be in excellent condition but on a higher $$$ non-personal rebuild, all of the main wear bushings should be replaced.

Parts22_zps493d657c.jpg

New torrington bearings for overdrive, usually the stock ones are in good shape and can be reused in a budget build. On a higher $$$ build, the $50 for new bearings is a necessary expenditure.

Parts23_zps1e3cd656.jpg

Parts24_zpsa972081f.jpg

The low/reverse drum has a plastic thrust/retaining washer between the drum and the snap ring, this upgraded metal thrust washer is only a couple of dollars so a cheap upgrade that may not be necessary since I've never seen the plastic part fail.

Parts25_zpsb31bae2a.jpg

I always replace all electronic components in non-personal rebuilds. I can deal with an electrical failure, but a custom generally won't accept it. All electronics are replaced with new factory style parts except the governor solenoid. For the governor solenoid, many upgrade to the newer $60 Borg solenoid that seems to handle elevated line pressure better than the stock Dodge part. One step further is this custom machined block by DNJ with a Chevy 4L60e transmission solenoid. This upgrade used to cost $300 but with higher production and general usage and competition the cost has come down to $150-$200 range.

Parts17_zps75096a1e.jpg

Parts18_zps0ee73ba2.jpg

Parts19_zps9a71ae9a.jpg

For the valvebody, a Transgo 48re shift kit will be installed.

ShiftK4_zps60511bc4.jpg

The customer also provided his own billet input shaft, looks like a Precision Industries Shaft, billet output shaft, and Goerend pan.

All in all, the combined cost of upgraded parts plus a stock master rebuild kit, an upgraded flex plate, and last but not least: Phil Taylor - Diesel Performance Converters triple disk, there is between $3,500 & $4,000 worth of parts in this rebuild.

Parts12_zpsf035b154.jpg

Parts13_zps57b4a484.jpg

Parts14_zps8c94aaa1.jpg

Parts15_zps2267b8fd.jpg

Parts16_zps470c07e7.jpg

Looks more like a TCS input, the cheaper precision shafts I've seen are darker. I wouldn't use a precision shaft after my experience with them

What trans part supplier do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Several!!! No one supplier has the best prices on every part needed for a built transmission.

Ebay seems to be the cheapest source for stock rebuild kits, electronics, and Transgo shift kits.

Looks more like a TCS input, the cheaper precision shafts I've seen are darker. I wouldn't use a precision shaft after my experience with them

The early precision shafts had a nice dark finish, the more recent ones have the lighter colored finish. I was basing my assumption on the machining at the feed ports, the spline length, shaft diameter, etc.

The customer supplied the shaft so if a wicked 4x4 low range launch breaks a shaft, not my issue.

The early precision shafts had a nice dark finish, the more recent ones have the lighter colored finish. I was basing my assumption on the machining at the feed ports, the spline length, shaft diameter, etc.

The customer supplied the shaft so if a wicked 4x4 low range launch breaks a shaft, not my issue.

I understand, I try to steer my customers away from them now. Haven't used one in a year so that makes sense, hopefully your guy doesn't have an issue with it.

Nice write up!

Several!!! No one supplier has the best prices on every part needed for a built transmission.

Ebay seems to be the cheapest source for stock rebuild kits, electronics, and Transgo shift kits.

I see. I've been hunting around for parts. First time doing an auto build. Not sure who to use is all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

48RE Transgo Shift Kit - Install

Parts26_zpsd411f047.jpg

Install new teflon seals on the input shaft, this step is only applicable if the transmission is apart. Install new accumulator spring, pretty self explanatory.
Parts27_zpsb52ace76.jpg

The problem that many have with Transgo's instructions is they are written for a trans builder that already has a rough idea on how to take the valvebody apart.
Parts28_zps8cc94176.jpg

I didn't get good pictures of removing the electronics, however, it is just (3) T-25 screws for the lockup/overdrive solenoids, (2) T-25 screws for the governor pressure solenoid & transducer, and (1) T-25 for the main harness plug.

ShiftK3_zps291d54b5.jpg

Next remove all the T-25 screws that hold the (3) main layers of the valve body together.

ShiftK2_zpsc9a4b42b.jpg

There is a bracket with (3) T-25 screws all different lengths that holds the adjuster for the main line pressure, this bracket must be removed to separate the valve body since on of the long screws ties through all the layers of the valve body.

48reshift15_zps0cf028d0.jpg

Picture of valvebody main layers coming apart, this is pretty dirty and not typical of a healthy valve body:

ShiftK5_zps62b374ea.jpg

ShiftK6_zps16cf565c.jpg

ShiftK7_zpsdecc1f97.jpg

Save the checkballs, all but (1) will be reused:

ShiftK8_zps896e71a5.jpg

The first step once you finally get the valvebody apart is to add a couple of vent holes to speed-up how quickly lockup engages. This doesn't change the MPH of lock-up that is controlled electronically, this changes how much time it takes the lock-up piston to fully engage from the time the electronic solenoid opens to the time the torque converter is solidly locked.

Transgo recommends you don't add multiple holes for triple disk converters because they already lock-up quite abruptly, for this build with a billet input shaft, I felt comfortable with (2) .076" holes.

ShiftK11_zps942975b9.jpg

Also the instruction call for a notch to be filed across the manual valve bore, I use a 4.5" grinder with a metal cutting blade.

ShiftK12_zpsadc5373c.jpg

ShiftK13_zps0183e362.jpg

Replacing the green TV spring is self-explanatory.

Last edited:
Page 3 Transgo 48re shift kit:

Parts29_zpse622a68f.jpg

Remove the (3) T-25 screws on the part throttle transfer body.
ShiftK14_zps39b83259.jpg

Swapping out the spring:

ShiftK15_zpse24968cb.jpg

ShiftK16_zps1f999121.jpg

Install the little pin, install the gold spacer, then re-install the part throttle transfer body with the kit supplied transfer plate:

ShiftK19_zps058f5fdb.jpg

ShiftK22_zpsad7d81f2.jpg

Page 4 Transgo Shift Kit:
Parts30_zpsb8c2a595.jpg

The cherrybomb replaces one of the stock check balls, transgo gives a good picture to correctly replace all the checkballs.

Grinding 4 land switch valve
ShiftK24_zpsa885098d.jpg

ShiftK25_zps0d83f42f.jpg

New manual valve compared to stock:
ShiftK26_zps91fc9b69.jpg

ShiftK27_zps7d9a5b62.jpg

Mumbly peg used to compress the ball and spring for the gear selector rooter comb:
48reshift7_zpsfb4f6fde.jpg

Last edited:
Transgo 48re shift kit page 5

Parts31_zps42e9bcd4.jpg

Remove the 3/4 accumulator body, (3) T-25 screws.
ShiftK28_zps7b85c16a.jpg

ShiftK29_zps2e8b7c22.jpg

Drill through with the kit supplied drill bit.

ShiftK30_zpsa3ecc6a2.jpg

ShiftK31_zpsaf970218.jpg

ShiftK32_zps0fba7235.jpg

Remove the (5) T-25 screws to remove the cover plate and gain access to the 3-4 accumulator piston. Remove the stock spring (sometimes it's broke in half) and install (3) new red springs provided in the kit. It is difficult to replace the cover with the higher spring pressure from the new springs. I also replaced the teflon seals on the accumulator piston with new seals provided in the master transmission rebuild kit. These seals rarely fail, but get replaced during a major overhaul/rebuild.

ShiftK33_zps72a3a7a6.jpg

ShiftK39_zps818f1501.jpg

ShiftK40_zps53fab79e.jpg

ShiftK41_zps9f630f12.jpg

Install the kit supplied plugs flush or just deeper than flush:

ShiftK35_zps5a20ce6e.jpg

ShiftK36_zpsb0960928.jpg

ShiftK37_zps27bcdb75.jpg

ShiftK38_zps18dc183b.jpg

Finally reinstall the 3/4 accumulator assembly with the kit supplied tranfer plate sandwiched between.

Last edited:
Transgo 48re shift kit page 6

Parts32_zps185d8379.jpg

The kit calls for the 2-3 shift holes marked as A & B to be drilled to .106", I went a little larger .116" because the customer requested FIRM shifts. The kit does not call out the 1-2 shift hole to be enlarged because most non-hotrod uses like soft 1-2 shifts. I opened up this passage to a conservative .088" or so.

Be advised, the higher you crank the line pressure, the firmer the shifts will become so stay conservative on the hole size if line pressure is going to be substantially increased.

The holes are to be drilled in the kit supplied separator plate, not the stock plate as "staged" in the picture below.

ShiftK1_zps9609c381.jpg

Transgo 48re shift kit page 7:
Parts33_zpse0f5b706.jpg

Remove the stock pressure screw and replace with the kit supplied shim, washer, plain inner, and orange outer spring. Interesting, the kit does not call for 2-4 turns of adjustment on the pressure screw. I recommend the pressure is turned up at least 2 turns and more for more line pressure = more torque capacity on the whole transmission.

48reshift3_zps50077b2c.jpg

48reshift5_zps4c2864fa.jpg

48reshift6_zps2356b54d.jpg

Transgo provide an upgraded clip, simply remove the plate and (3) T-25 screws:
48reshift18_zps90aecdd5.jpg

Drilling out the port in the plate increases lock-up pressure, not sure why the 48re kit does not call for this step, I used a .096" drill bit:
48reshift19_zps7cd84171.jpg

48reshift20_zpsf5c7c515.jpg

48reshift1_zps1b4a8cec.jpg

I also changed out the shaft seal (from the transmission master rebuild kit) on the TV lever/rooster comb:
48reshift9_zps60e709ac.jpg

48reshift10_zps7c8d22df.jpg

48reshift11_zps6d8c8762.jpg

48reshift14_zpsa732db8b.jpg

48reshift15_zps0cf028d0.jpg

I finished up by installing the new lock-up & overdrive solenoids:
48reshift16_zps6b21015a.jpg

A picture of the DNJ upgraded governor solenoid and block, these won't be installed until the valvebody is bolted to the main transmission case.

48reshift17_zpse7e2c3e4.jpg

Curious to see how your rebuild turns out.

I just rebuilt the 48re in my 05 at 120k, had never done a dodge trans before. Learned a lot.

My 2nd gear band was toast as well, very similar to yours. Input shaft was stuck in hub because of clutch material build up. I did most of everything you're doing as well except for new bearings and bushings.

Why are you using the DNJ gov solenoid body? Why not just use an adjustable gov pressure solenoid from Borg Warner?

Either way, great pics and great thread.

Curious to see how your rebuild turns out.

I just rebuilt the 48re in my 05 at 120k, had never done a dodge trans before. Learned a lot.

My 2nd gear band was toast as well, very similar to yours. Input shaft was stuck in hub because of clutch material build up. I did most of everything you're doing as well except for new bearings and bushings.

Why are you using the DNJ gov solenoid body? Why not just use an adjustable gov pressure solenoid from Borg Warner?

Either way, great pics and great thread.

Ive had trouble with the Borg Solenoid on my high 180+psi line pressure transmissions. Decided to try something new. Time will tell if the 4L60E solenoid is better.

This is freaking awesome, I love these threads. Just being a nag but maybe you could circle the parts your taking apart in the beginning. Like circle the bolts your taking out to get a particular part off. You do a great job of explaining, just trying to make it easy on me when I finally tare into one. Thank you

Back