Which drag racing tranny for street/strip?

47RH HTS is my vote, I tried the ford trans and controller seems like they are always needing tweeks on the controller.

Just posted on the other thread, we ran the same setup different truck with a pcs and still didn't like it, although it was whatever convertor suncoast made for that conversion back 4 years...... pretty loose

Give Jeff Garmon a call too...after watching what he's doing nowdays....he should be a contender when your final decision is made.

X100 ^

After seeing and hearing about what He and Phil have going on for the the Diesel Community and Trannies, There won't be a need to go else where!!!

Do yourself a big favor and call Jeff Garmon!!!

My vote is for HTS too! I drag race mine all over the place and tow and daily drive it all the time. And they are great people to work with and great service.

5R110 is not as weak as you think it is. And feel free to PM Dalpilot for the little converter cut open demo I gave him last week. Stock vs ATS vs Suncoast.

Whats the diff. in a 518a and the 47rh? I dont count im the odd guy with the TH400...she's holding 1.3x 60's though at over 4ooo pounds. I do have the trans brake there also but scared to use it...I say Im going to and roll up to the tree and that sinking feeling comes of breaking and end up back on the foot brake..
Ryan

I'm getting ideas for a street/strip full size OBS ford truck with a 12v cummins used for drag racing and fun. HP will go up as money allows, so the tranny is expected to be fully built.

Standard trannys are out (too slow).

Gasser trannys are probalby out too because of the weight of the truck and torque. Lenco's and liberties are mostly full time racing trannies, so I'd have to say they're out.

The allison doesn't seem to be the cure because of the defuel on shift problems. The 5r110 is prone to breaking from what I hear.

So that leaves the 47re/48re, e4od/4r100, and the new dodge 6 speed(68rfe and Aisin).

Anyone have a suggestion for what tranny will last the longest and be the strongest? I don't think the dogde 6 speed has many parts available yet and it's probably not proven, but it would be cool if it will hold the same power as the four speeds.

How do the 4r100 and 48re compare? If suggesting the dodge 47 and 48's, which one is better?

Thanks,

Clayton

Guess my vote is a modded 48RE, seems like it would be common knowledge. There is no aftermarket transmission stronger that I know of for moving our weight with high horsepower. That is provided that it contains the best IE after market parts setup.
The US gear OD will not hold the hp I am talking about so I hope you where not planning on including it in your build.
There are lightened/tube trucks running car race trannys with good results but they would get a faster ET and more mph if they ran a fully bombed 48RE. Every 47/48RE has a built in trans brake, knowledge that a few builders know of but don’t share as it is hard on components and is useless in this application.
The 4r100 gear ratios would probably fair better with lower hp trucks in the quarter. In higher hp trucks the 48RE ratios are better IMHO.
There are several good builders each with adimit followers out there now a days. What will set them way apart on who is truely best is going to be their parts/package selection. All the rest is pretty much fluff. :hehe:

Guess my vote is a modded 48RE, seems like it would be common knowledge. There is no aftermarket transmission stronger that I know of for moving our weight with high horsepower. That is provided that it contains the best IE after market parts setup.
The US gear OD will not hold the hp I am talking about so I hope you where not planning on including it in your build.
There are lightened/tube trucks running car race trannys with good results but they would get a faster ET and more mph if they ran a fully bombed 48RE. Every 47/48RE has a built in trans brake, knowledge that a few builders know of but don’t share as it is hard on components and is useless in this application.
The 4r100 gear ratios would probably fair better with lower hp trucks in the quarter. In higher hp trucks the 48RE ratios are better IMHO.
There are several good builders each with adimit followers out there now a days. What will set them way apart on who is truely best is going to be their parts/package selection. All the rest is pretty much fluff. :hehe:

The US Gear OD won't be used because I'll be building a different truck for racing and using my '95 for hauling. What do you think of the 47rh?

Isn't the 47rh, 47re, and 48re pretty much the same internally once their built?

Back