S363 or s464

Sure about that?

Generally speaking. I'm sure there are some tricked out turbines that are an exception to the rule. Just like for the average joe, a S364 will support more power than something like a 362, but you turbo builders do all that crazy stuff with smooth bores and different inducers and a bunch of other stuff that's over my head, and now the tables are tuned. But that's not generalities. At least not in average Joe's world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generally speaking. I'm sure there are some tricked out turbines that are an exception to the rule.

I've seen the same compressor and cover with three different S400 turbines 83, 87, and 96mm make within 5hp of one another back to back on the engine dyno.

And I have never seen an S500 make more power than an S400 with the 96mm turbine both having equivalent compressors.

The compressor determines the power, as long as the turbine is large/efficient enough to accelerate the shaft to achieve the desired wheel speed, the size plays a very small role in overall power, it will however dictate where the power is made in the RPM band.

I've seen the same compressor and cover with three different S400 turbines 83, 87, and 96mm make within 5hp of one another back to back on the engine dyno.

And I have never seen an S500 make more power than an S400 with the 96mm turbine both having equivalent compressors.

The compressor determines the power, as long as the turbine is large/efficient enough to accelerate the shaft to achieve the desired wheel speed, the size plays a very small role in overall power, it will however dictate where the power is made in the RPM band.

Touché.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So say one moved to Hawaii and no longer desires to push a 467 to its potential...what is a fast spooling single able to max a set of QSB 480 injectors(common rail)? I have read they will supply 650-700 hp of fuel. Like to keep my T4 manifold if possible and I found a dual internally gated T4 .83 housing I could slap on a 64/68 or 64/73 super core. Can I get away with a 68mm turbine?

If you want a fun, streetable vp truck, my favorite setup is a 351 over a 75/83-1.10. Get that boost in quick before the vp runs out of rpm. My setup is a super b over that 475 and it works well but I'd do the 351 if I did it again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

^ That's pretty much what I've been thinking. We have fairly limited rpm range to work with on these trucks, got to get the power going early as possible. That is actually at the big end of what I hope to put on mine at some point, something between a 369sxe up to a 475, already running a he351.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

S363 for that truck. The S464 is great with a compressor upgrade on a common rail but it isn't going to be all that driveable. It isn't too terrible but I would prefer the S363 if it were my truck between the two.

What compressor upgrade does the 464 need? I'm ordering one next week because I ran a "466"/83/.90 on my 07 6.7 and it was great for dd/towing I did with that truck and plan to do with my new truck. I just assumed they where the same size turbo just named different from each company that offers it.

What compressor upgrade does the 464 need? I'm ordering one next week because I ran a "466"/83/.90 on my 07 6.7 and it was great for dd/towing I did with that truck and plan to do with my new truck. I just assumed they where the same size turbo just named different from each company that offers it.

It very well could be the same turbo but named differently. Every "s465" we have had in the shop for repairs from other companies were 63.5mm inducer non ETT compressor wheels. It is sad, because oftentimes the customers paid close to $2000 for them because of the name attached. The factory cast wheel in the 63.5 mm S400s can be improved upon greatly. We sell a billet version of that turbo.

It very well could be the same turbo but named differently. Every "s465" we have had in the shop for repairs from other companies were 63.5mm inducer non ETT compressor wheels. It is sad, because oftentimes the customers paid close to $2000 for them because of the name attached. The factory cast wheel in the 63.5 mm S400s can be improved upon greatly. We sell a billet version of that turbo.

Yessir I'm not gonna pay $2 grand for a "box" turbo with a name attached.
I'll be installing a 10mm pump and 60% over injectors at the same time as the turbo swap and not looking for tons of power so I figured I'd be fine with the cast wheel. I don't mind spending a lil more if it increases efficiency and some more power can be had. Do you have a link to yalls billet version?

OP sry for hijacking your thread!

Unless a 63 or 64 is being compounded..... pass!

I've heard of a 464/488 being run on a 6.7. I'd just be running a single 463-64. I ran a cast wheel 467.7/gtx5533r 91mm set on my 06 mega but had lots more fuel than I'll have in this truck.

Why are you saying pass on it?

Last edited:
Not every truck has to be an all out hot rod. If you are removing the VGT turbo to gain dependability then putting an 800+hp capable turbo on it is counter intuitive.

I've heard of a 464/488 being run on a 6.7. I'd just be running a single 463-64. I ran a cast wheel 467.7/gtx5533r 91mm set on my 06 mega but had lots more fuel than I'll have in this truck.

Why are you saying pass on it?

In just not a fan of pushing a turbo to the edge for power. Lots of inefficient hot charged air aswell.

Even with the 464/83, I'd personally choose an 64.5sxe with the 74mm turbine and T4 .91 or 1.0 instead.

Better all around turbo inside and performance out!

Not every truck has to be an all out hot rod. If you are removing the VGT turbo to gain dependability then putting an 800+hp capable turbo on it is counter intuitive.

Agreed 100% to the point above.

Last edited:
In just not a fan of pushing a turbo to the edge for power. Lots of inefficient hot charged air aswell.

Even with the 464/83, I'd personally choose an 64.5sxe with the 74mm turbine and T4 .91 or 1.0 instead.

Better all around turbo inside and performance out!

Agreed 100% to the point above.

I've looked at the 300 based sxe and like the fact I wouldn't need new AC lines and coolant tank like I'd need for s400 on my yr model truck, but haven't heard good reviews on any of the sxe turbos. I'm sure they're good once they're built right and yes I know you love yours lol

Last edited:
I've looked at the 300 based sxe and like the fact I wouldn't need new AC lines and coolant tank like I'd need for s400 on my yr model truck, but haven't heard good reviews on any of the sxe turbos. I'm sure they're good once they're built right and yes I know you love yours lol

Lol right!

The guys that have trashed them that I've seen are the 369s and that's understood since it's be easy to bark it.

Everyone's experiences can be different of course, but I will say this.....

The sxe line has been a major success for Borg and with the volume of units that have been sold it wouldn't surprise me that bad apples happen.

Being I've blown a 466/83/1.0 bearing by overspeeding it by loosing an charged air pipe clamp, I take turbo durability with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Back