Flex-A-Lite 262 Fan Installed....

flex fans are horrible... they rob power at low RPM, they don't cool at high RPM, and they're dangerous... seen the aftermath of too many explosions. I would NEVER run one on ANY vehicle.

I'll probably be buying the electric fans though

My brother-in-law is building a big block Impalla and we are searching out some different OEM fans to use. One that I've used in the past was a Ford windstar dual fan setup. Also a Lincoln MKVIII. They push close to 4000cfm. I took some measurements yesterday of a few different configurations of these fans. I could make one fit, but I wonder if this is enought CFM for the Cummins...?
Each fan is about 16" in diameter where the stock Cummins fan is around 26". What do you guys think? You can get these fans for around $100 on ebay and elsewhere....

:pop:

btw- when I had the dual Windstar setup on my 70chevelle, you could stand behind my car and when the fans kicked on you could feel the air blowing on your feet/legs. Very powerful suckers.... literally...

I'm still waiting to see how they hold up in traffic on a hot summer day with the AC on or how well they cool a heavily modified truck at the track. I'd love to have electric fans on my truck but I live in 100+* weather.

JQmile said:
When we put the fans on our project dually, we saw a big increase in highway mpg --to the tune of about 2-3mpg better--I'd be interested to see if you get similar gains............

Jason Sands
Associate Editor
Diesel Power Magazine
Jason,

I didn't see any increase in fuel mileage when I swapped to electric. However, it was on a fresh rebuild and the mileage was 3-4mpg worse than before the rebuild.

brandon.

trik396 said:
My brother-in-law is building a big block Impalla and we are searching out some different OEM fans to use. One that I've used in the past was a Ford windstar dual fan setup. Also a Lincoln MKVIII. They push close to 4000cfm. I took some measurements yesterday of a few different configurations of these fans. I could make one fit, but I wonder if this is enought CFM for the Cummins...?
Each fan is about 16" in diameter where the stock Cummins fan is around 26". What do you guys think? You can get these fans for around $100 on ebay and elsewhere....

:pop:

btw- when I had the dual Windstar setup on my 70chevelle, you could stand behind my car and when the fans kicked on you could feel the air blowing on your feet/legs. Very powerful suckers.... literally...
trik396-
That's the fan I'm running, albeit as a single. It pulls 38 amps and will keep the truck cool unloaded with the A/C on, except in stopped traffic. Without A/C it keeps the unloaded truck cool. I've been meaning to hook up a second fan, I just haven't had time. I've also towed a 13k trailer with this combination and it didn't like stop and go traffic.

brandon.

So you think in a dual setup it would have a chance at keeping it cool? They are some powerful fans...

flex-A-Lite 262 Fan Installed...

Brandon,

That would be a great update , if you can start a new thread then.:clap:

Thanks,
Wayne

Well today we had 90 degree heat and high humidity here and with me running all over town chasing parts I had no issues with getting to hot or overheating.I still will stay somewhat reserved until we get some dog days of summer heat and humidity to drive in before I am totally convinced.

The first tank of fuel on the truck withthe fans showed a 2.8 mpg improvement over what it had been doing previously.This tank was checked driving like I always do and was a combination of city and highway driving.I will check the actual highway milage when I go back to EEP in two weeks to see what it does on a road trip.

Brandon..
I will probably stay out at the Red Roof Inn across from the T/A at exit 126 off of I-70.They offer a discount to truckers and since I am one I will take it,LOL.I will PM you a cell number for me before I leave......Andy

with that temp, do they constantly run, and does the noise from them get annoying, or not noticeable? also, does your charging system hate you?:pop:

Well I went back to our famed myth busting Dyno-Jet today we Mason-Dixon TDC members call "The Humbler".Its called that because it makes no claims and takes those who makes those claims weak with fear.

Today's runs were done in the same mode as the last recent runs on my truck at our clubs Spring Fling event.The correction factor was the same and the only difference was a minor elevation of humidity with the storms rolling through.I had the same injectors,same intake,same fuel pump so nothing was different mechanically.

At any rate off the Dyno-Jet today my truck had a increase of 7.67hp and 26.34tq over what was made at the spring show.I had a best run there of 478.61hp/981.92tq at the spring show and todays numbers were 486.28hp/1008.26tq.So what did I learn today,they must have made their 26hp gains on something other than a heavily fueled 12v.

My fuel milage gain has been at 3.1 mpg doing my normal driving which is a combined city and highway conditions.The truck had been averaging 16.93mpg and now the last two tanks have been over 20.....Andy

Signal73..
I do not hear them running at all inside the truck.They are set at the factory preset temps and when they come on they come on in stages first 65% then ten more degree increase they come on at 100%.You can also wire a direct full time 100% on switch for inside if you need them.On the dyno today they never ran and when driving they only came on when I crossed Blue Ridge Summit and the only reason I knew they come on was I seen it on my digital volt gauge.As for the charging system hating me,I had already made provisions for that because of the fans and FASS pump.I contacted "Mean Green" and got one of their 205amp units and installed it.Too much fuel system,fans and a desired stereo upgrade will mean problems which was why I did it.I will add a link to them below for you.

http://www.mean-green.com/products/alternator.html

BgBlDodge..
So far so good but I do not see the heat you will see in Texas.I am planning a trip later this year to see a friend down near Austin and can't wait to see what happens then.

Forrest..
I think flex fans have a place,just not in or on our trucks.I used one on my drag car for years with the electric water pump and had great results.On our trucks I will agree that they have no place.

trik396..
I can not answer that but know the Flex-A-Lites move more air than that,however its not my truck your working on.

One thing I could not compare is what the difference on the dyno would be if the stock fan was fully engaged and running.I would be willing to bet if the stocker was in total lockup then the HP difference would have alot more significant.I really didn't look at it that way and late last nite when chatting with fellow TDR/DTR member B Kirk,he was the one who reminded me of that and I thanked him...............Andy

andy we still have to do one more test!! i'll see about getting a trailor for towing my rig around and seeing how the fans hold up to the torment!

Back