Some pics of my project

imelmo

Go away, I'm 'batin'!
Well it's getting closer! The chassis should be on the ground in two weeks and I'll be bringing it to David at Diesel Innovations shortly there-after.

P9050001.jpg

P9050002.jpg

P9050006.jpg

P9050005.jpg

Many more pics here: http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a186/imelmo/Toyota%20Project/

Let me know any thoughts or ideas on what you see; I'm new to this.:new:

Timbeaux38 said:
Man That is cool! You gonna try to have that ready for next year?

It should be ready in December at the latest. I'll be riding David pretty hard once it gets to DI.:evil :D

Well, not to pee on anybody's parade or in their cereal, but I hear there may be some changes to the cages NHRA certifies. You may not think that matters to us, but if you run at a sanctioned NHRA track, their rules, rule. They've run computer simulations of 6000 lb trucks rolling, and what they have in the specs as of now, will not hold up. I think the 1 5/8 DOM, with the right bracing, will be more than enough, but I have not been asked to give my opinion to those folks.

What will hold up in their eyes? 1 5/8's chrome moly, with braces out the wazoo. That means TIG welded, which in itself will add about $800 to a cage. If this should be the case, how about Pro Street having a $3000 cage in it?

You gotta realize, these trucks are something nobody ever invisioned being on the track. A new world has opened up and nobody is sure what to do. You can bet on one thing, "overkill" will be the buzz word. Liability and safety is the key.

Anybody have any comments on this?

.. PrestonL..

That truck should fall in well under 6000 lbs.

Lookin good Danny....when do I start on the headers?

Danny's truck won't be anywhere near 6000 pounds....or 5500 for that matter.
He's headed into Greg Houge territory.

When we had our cage built we went the chrome moly route for the safety factor and the weight savings.

Danny,

The truck is coming along.Looks bad a$$

Last edited:
turbothom said:
Well, not to pee on anybody's parade or in their cereal, but I hear there may be some changes to the cages NHRA certifies. You may not think that matters to us, but if you run at a sanctioned NHRA track, their rules, rule. They've run computer simulations of 6000 lb trucks rolling, and what they have in the specs as of now, will not hold up. I think the 1 5/8 DOM, with the right bracing, will be more than enough, but I have not been asked to give my opinion to those folks.

What will hold up in their eyes? 1 5/8's chrome moly, with braces out the wazoo. That means TIG welded, which in itself will add about $800 to a cage. If this should be the case, how about Pro Street having a $3000 cage in it?

You gotta realize, these trucks are something nobody ever invisioned being on the track. A new world has opened up and nobody is sure what to do. You can bet on one thing, "overkill" will be the buzz word. Liability and safety is the key.

Anybody have any comments on this?

.. PrestonL..

The chassis is being made to NHRA specs, not DHRA. And yeah, I' ll be way under 6000lbs, even w/o dropping a little extra weight between the seat and steering wheel.:D

imelmo said:
The chassis is being made to NHRA specs, not DHRA. And yeah, I' ll be way under 6000lbs, even w/o dropping a little extra weight between the seat and steering wheel.:D
Looks like you need to drop a couple of cylinders.:shake:

My point is, that NHRA does not have any specs for our trucks. What's comming, is going to be new guidelines to build from. I think every tube in the cage is going to have to be 1 5/8 CM, .124 wall. Then I feel all will be OK.

Back