Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Extreme Engine Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #1
apexfd

Name: apexfd
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Normal pushrod spin for common rail cummins?

I just finished installing a colt cam stage 2 with new colt cam tappets on the weekend. I used lubriplate liberally on everything during the install and the tappets felt very nice and smooth in the bores. A week or so before the cam swap I added 16oz of Redline break in additive (which should have brought my ZDDP levels to around 2000ppm). Before the cam break in I plugged in my oil pan heater for about 6 hours to make sure the oil was as close to operating temp as possible, then I pushed the truck out of the shop by hand without firing it up. As per the instructions I fire it up and immediately revved the engine to 1800rpm and held it there for about 25 minutes. The truck sounds great, super quiet and smooth, lots more bottom end torque.. etc

Ive put a few hours worth of run time on the engine since then so last night I did another valve lash just to make sure everything was good. The lash was near identical from when I initially set it. Just for curiosities sake I ran the truck without the valve cover to see if the pushrods were spinning. The exhaust pushrods are spinning nicely (about 1 turn per second), whereas every intake pushrod did not spin at idle but did spin slowly at 1500rpm, and a couple of them seems to have a harder time spinning compared to others. Is this normal?

The pushrods spin effortlessly by hand, so i dont imagine the tappet socket is able to exert much torque on the pushrod. Maybe it doesnt necessarily mean that the tappet isnt spinning?

Anyways, I just want to see what thoughts you guys had who have had more experience than me building engines/messing around with valvetrains on the 5.9.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:49 PM   #2
JWhite

Name: JWhite
Title: Trained monkey
Member`s Gallery
Not that I've ever payed attention to that, but it could be the tighter valve lash on the intake side causing it.

Closed Thread