Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 10:18 PM   #41
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
To answer a few questions:

First, Josh is an employee at PDD and works in our sales/tech support department. In his spare time: evenings/weekends he has access to PDD's dyno etc. This failure was not on a PDD company vehicle or test engine, this was Josh's personal race/hot street truck build that is built and paid for by him personally.

To help him (Josh) out, I suggested/offered to pull a PDD-owned Hamilton Comp Wet Block off the shelf and pay for the machining and parts to build it into an in-house test engine that he could use and play with while he decided what to build next for his truck. Zach has offered some parts help with the test engine, but up to this point it is still 100% PDD owned stuff or miscellaneous used parts from Josh. There is a strong possibility that a new set of Hamilton Steel pistons will eventually end up in this second test engine but the first fire-up will happen before the new steel pistons are ready.

Yes, the crank from this failure was donated by Josh and is currently installed in this second Hamilton Comp Wet block that came off PDD's shelf. I personally checked the crank for straightness and it spins true with-in 0.0005" or as close as I can measure so we're going to try it. Josh didn't want to sell it used in-case it has stress fractures or other problems not yet seen.... but I wasn't scared to try it again after it spun true and looked great.

No, Josh did not personally bore or hone either of these blocks, that was done at the local machine shop with proper tools. The failure engine was set to 005" PTW clearance as that was the clearance recommendation from the piston/block manufacturer (Hamilton) and neither Josh nor PDD had ever played with steel pistons so we had no experience to go by. Josh personally assembles all of his engines and yes he did use feeler gauges in a video or social media post to show how "scary tight" the PTW seemed on the steel pistons at 005" vs the 010" or more you'd see or we've used on a cast piston high HP engine build.

At this point, it's not fair to say what exactly caused the failure because no-one knows with 100% certainty, but there are a bunch of theories running wild on social media ranging from: core shift on the block, piston skirt collapse, circlip failure, circlip missing(installation error), bad tuning too rich, bad tuning too lean, bad injector balance, machining error (loose PTW) (tight PTW), not enough engine cooling, break-in failure (no NOS for break-in), and the best one: We should have called Banks....

Zach did come by in-person last week to look at the broken parts and snap a few pictures and take a couple measurements.

The second engine is a PDD-sponsored test engine that Josh gets to "test" for a bit while he waits for his Enforcer deckplate engine from D&J.

There are a couple more videos coming out soon and they will reveal more details on the second comp wet block, how it holds up on the dyno, etc.
Stay tuned!!!!
OEM 12v Block

Old 08-09-2020, 10:26 PM   #42
Empty_Pockets

Name: Empty_Pockets
Title: Undercover Epa agent
Member`s Gallery
Definitely should have called banks��������

Old 08-09-2020, 10:32 PM   #43
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
That sheds some light on Zacks post that was taken down.
What was put up wasn't directed toward Josh or PDD, but his cheerleaders in the comments certainly were.

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 08-10-2020, 11:05 AM   #44
WUnderwood

Name: WUnderwood
Title: CompD Minion
Member`s Gallery
I have no dog in this fight, but I have a lot of respect for Josh's attitude/perseverance. Hope you get it all figured out, and are able to get well north of 2k hp.

Click the image to open in full size.

RIP BFD99, jponder, and Forrest Nearing

Old 08-10-2020, 11:16 AM   #45
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Member`s Gallery
Does Josh have a magic tree that grows money, if not, is PDD hiring?

Old 08-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #46
mhuggler

Name: mhuggler
Title: One piece at a time
Member`s Gallery
Why is the name "Banks" even being mentioned? Or was he being sarcastic? Sometimes if somebody has especially dry sarcasm I'll miss it occasionally.
2002 2500 4x4 ETH/DEE-F1 Mach 5's/62/65/12/Smarty/ATS Ex.manifold/AFE intake/TST Comp./.020 marine gasket/o-ringed/ARP studs/5"stacks/Airdog 150/Isspro guages/Southbend 3600 DD/3.54 gears/leveling kit/Bilstein 5100frt,5150rr/37" BFG A/T's on 18" Eagle 114's/Borgeson SS/DSS

Old 08-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #47
Snedge

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuggler View Post
Why is the name "Banks" even being mentioned? Or was he being sarcastic? Sometimes if somebody has especially dry sarcasm I'll miss it occasionally.
Banks is the leader in all things Diesel. They are the best. Not to mention Gale is one snappy dresser.

How's that for sarcasm?

Old 08-10-2020, 12:56 PM   #48
displacedtexan

Name: displacedtexan
Title: $500 PREMIUM MEMBER
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
Banks is the leader in all things Diesel. They are the best. Not to mention Gale is one snappy dresser.

How's that for sarcasm?
Plus, he knows the guys at Edelbrock.

Old 08-10-2020, 01:10 PM   #49
Snedge

Member`s Gallery
By their first names and stuff?

Old 08-10-2020, 02:51 PM   #50
thatguy69

Name: thatguy69
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Does Josh have a magic tree that grows money, if not, is PDD hiring?
Same thing I was wondering?

Old 08-11-2020, 03:15 AM   #51
mhuggler

Name: mhuggler
Title: One piece at a time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

How's that for sarcasm?
Ahh yes, I remember the jeans. My nuts hurt just seeing them.
2002 2500 4x4 ETH/DEE-F1 Mach 5's/62/65/12/Smarty/ATS Ex.manifold/AFE intake/TST Comp./.020 marine gasket/o-ringed/ARP studs/5"stacks/Airdog 150/Isspro guages/Southbend 3600 DD/3.54 gears/leveling kit/Bilstein 5100frt,5150rr/37" BFG A/T's on 18" Eagle 114's/Borgeson SS/DSS

Old 08-11-2020, 09:00 AM   #52
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
It's sad that when a guy tries new things, makes big goals, then shoots a piston outdoors on his own dime….the internet start blabbering their oral diarrhea on all the things that were or weren't done and who was to blame. Those people should just grab a big ol' cup of STFU and enjoy the show.

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Last edited by 4x4dually; 08-11-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Old 08-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #53
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
It's sad that when a guy tries new things, makes big goals, then shoots a piston outdoors on his own dime….the internet start blabbering their oral diarrhea on all the things that were or weren't done and who was to blame. Those people should just grab a big ol' cup of STFU and enjoy the show.
I especially like the comments about their brothers uncle-cousins that build NHRA engines and they WOULD NEVER!!! do what Josh did... Just never.

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Closed Thread