Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #1
Freezingsystems

Name: Freezingsystems
Title: Modify Everything
Member`s Gallery
"OLD UGLY" Re-Visited Build Thread #RonA #DPF Challenge 2016

Yup as the title states it's "OLD UGLY" from a seasoned and well respected legend of Comp D vet #RonA.

Two years ago I was the lucky one to secure this gem and IIRC everything related to diesel from Ron's shop was packed very well into "OLD UGLY". I found a freight carrier to bring her from California to Indiana on a deal.

As most on here know RonA is over the top to deal with as all of my previous experience's with him were the same. He went way out of his way to help anyway he could to make this happen for me. I still cant thank him enough for all that he did he's a genuine person and I am grateful for everything he hooked me up with. To this day I still am using parts from my stock that came in the mother load Thank you Ron!

It was late evening 37 hours after old ugly was picked up from California the truck driver called and asked if he could drop it off in 1 hr which was a few days early I jumped in my truck and headed over to my shop to meet the driver.

It was lust at first site in the Comp-d classifieds "OLD UGLY" was even better looking in person and finally in my shop

Click the image to open in full size.[/URL]

Warning: There will be some very disturbing and gory pictures for true 1st Gen lovers that will be hard to look at. This thread is not intended for you its for me to share with the members that like highly modified diesels #COMPD. I am a switch hitter and like CR and Dino power so I'll get that out in the open now

Old Ugly has come a long way since I have owned it these last few years. Lots of patience, sacrifice, blood, sweat and tears went into this build which is still in progress. It has been built technically twice since I have owned it but things do happen for a reason and desire's change.

This was a purpose built truck to enjoy daily driving it on the street, drag race, hook a trailer, take it off-road, attend some dirt drags and mob the sand dunes at Silver Lake. After all the work I have done I can say its a riot when you smash the skinny on rough or smooth terrain. It drives and handle's better then my 4th gen mega only louder and more draft in the cab. I enjoy driving it anywhere and everywhere I go and has been clean running, dead nut's reliable and leak free which I am most proud of at this power level. I have more plans for this winter to take it even further to make this one of a kind gem even better.

Last few years I sent my application to DPC but never made the cut to get into voting for a chance to play. I was going to try again for this year but now seeing recent posts the #DPC (Diesel Particulate Challenge) is not for us old dirty owner built trucks even though it runs and drives cleaner then most four digit and a third power level's.

Anyway if they did come to their senses and keep the challenge the same and bring back "The Champ" Lavon Miller I will try entering again for a chance to compete.

It's going to take time to upload and post my progress over the last two years and try to keep the order in which it was built. I will dedicate time when I can to keep it posted along with some others I have built or still building. Including my 2WD Chevy drag truck which is going to get some attention from me again this winter with hopes to take it out and play.

Memories for RonA when it was at his place in CaliEPAville.

More to come soon!
92 W250 EFI 6.7 "OLD UGLY" 1292.7 HP #2

Old 09-27-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Looking forward to reading about all the updates! Get uploading!

Old 09-27-2015, 02:58 PM   #3
RyanMayo

Name: RyanMayo
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Subbing for this!

Old 09-27-2015, 03:18 PM   #4
Blueboy

Name: Blueboy
Member`s Gallery
Waiting for more.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
RDPsmoker

Name: RDPsmoker
Title: OUT TO LUNCH..
Member`s Gallery
In for this also!
-DPC
-SUNCOAST
03 3500
-Stock for now

Old 09-27-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
Watching

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:59 PM   #7
97$moker

Name: 97$moker
Title: Hukt on fonix wurkt fr me
Member`s Gallery
Finally get to see what you've been building! Im stoked for this for sure!

Old 09-27-2015, 04:06 PM   #8
99GreenCummins

Name: 99GreenCummins
Title: That guy....
Member`s Gallery
I.O.O.
1999 Ram 2500,6 spd, typical mods

Old 09-27-2015, 04:41 PM   #9
oldestof11

Name: oldestof11
Title: Drag racer
Member`s Gallery
I am very in on this one!

Old 09-27-2015, 04:50 PM   #10
9 LIVES

Name: 9 LIVES
Title: Demolition Expert
Member`s Gallery
Was this still a 6.7 12V when you got it? I think that's what it was right?

Heads I win, tails you lose....
-Lee-

Old 09-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #11
WUnderwood

Name: WUnderwood
Title: CompD Minion
Member`s Gallery
can't wait to see what happens with this one!

RonA= good people. a dirty hippie, but that's OK with me...

Click the image to open in full size.

RIP BFD99, jponder, and Forrest Nearing

Old 09-27-2015, 05:26 PM   #12
newsmoke

Name: newsmoke
Member`s Gallery
Subscribed

2014 F350 powerstroke
2014 Cruze diesel

Old 09-27-2015, 05:31 PM   #13
Meyers Farms

Name: Meyers Farms
Member`s Gallery
Sub'd

Old 09-27-2015, 05:56 PM   #14
Red_Rattler

Name: Red_Rattler
Title: High Tech Redneck
Member`s Gallery
IOO Cant wait to see this

95 2500 4x4 Ext Cab Handshaker "BUCKN' BADGER"

Ducky Fuel Injection

Old 09-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #15
CTD2500

Name: CTD2500
Title: Brown Between the Cheeks
Member`s Gallery
in.
95 Ram 2500 4X4 RCLB, 4K GSK, 19°, DDP4 injectors, 024 DV, two 257/362 SXE triples, 178-208 cam, ported head, 2 intercoolers, SS manifold, 5" exhaust, Goerend T/C, ATS V/B, built auto w/ billet input, 4th Gen brakes

Old 09-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #16
Sutter1stgen

Name: Sutter1stgen
Title: Short for my weight
Member`s Gallery
I've been waiting for this thread, very excited.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:52 PM   #17
6 speed 90

Name: 6 speed 90
Title: Drunken hillbilly
Member`s Gallery
And....... in for this...

You all know the day the cr finally beats the dinosaur all these tickle by wire guys are going to look like a bunch of virgins on prom night busting their first nut! There won't be a dry keyboard in this place

Old 09-27-2015, 08:55 PM   #18
TheBac

Name: TheBac
Title: UPS guy
Member`s Gallery
Looking forward to see what you've been up to. Thanks for letting us see and hear about it.

2017 Buick Regal 2.0T -- the DD

Old 09-27-2015, 09:19 PM   #19
Freezingsystems

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
Looking forward to reading about all the updates! Get uploading!
Its coming have to balance my time accordingly which is limited. I have over 1500 pictures of just the first gen build uploading to photo bucket now. Then sorting thru this mess of pictures and putting some words and description of the steps I have taken. These threads can eat up so much time but I have much respect for all the guys with big detailed build threads in here that have helped me in some way or another along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97$moker View Post
Finally get to see what you've been building! I'm stoked for this for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldestof11 View Post
I am very in on this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9 LIVES View Post
Was this still a 6.7 12V when you got it? I think that's what it was right?
P-pumped 6.7 24 valve.

[QUOTE=WUnderwood;2488174]can't wait to see what happens with this one!

RonA= good people. Amen to that

Old 09-27-2015, 11:28 PM   #20
Freezingsystems

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter1stgen View Post
I've been waiting for this thread, very excited.
Thanks for the HX35 elbow you borrowed Ron for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
Looking forward to see what you've been up to. Thanks for letting us see and hear about it.
No problem always happy to share. Its not all that but its something to share that I think is a unique and challenging at times build.

So to get this started the story begins with the truck not having any turbo's but to get the truck here on the freight truck I needed something putting some air in the motor with all that fuel so I sent Ron a very rusty stock manifold and HX35 to put on his fresh 13mm P pumped 6.7 At the time I was trying to make it easy for him just to bolt something on to get it safely on the truck under it own power. It was funny and Ron had a few comments but it worked with him having to do some quick mods to bolt it on and connect it.

I offloaded the truck and I didn't bother even taking it for a test drive with that silly turbo so I parked it.

Next few days rolled around and I was itching to take Old Ugly out for a drive before winter 2013 hit as it was getting cold here. I was going to finish Ron's plan with compounds very similar to what I had been running for a few years.

Work was busy and not enough time to do a quality compound build. I had a new stainless diesel manifold and a new T4 S480 with a 87 turbine 1.10 housing sitting doing nothing so I said screw it and threw it together for a quick fix. Surprisingly It was an animal and spooled that 80 quickly it did have some light surge but was able to drive around it with minimal issues. I drove it for few weeks on and off and wound it up pretty good but once it turned on it would just blow's those skinny tires off with the famous two to three wheel peel.

One evening after work just returning back to my shop I noticed the motor make a growling sound and bog down but yet trying to spool without giving any throttle I immediately shut it off. Long story short after having some time I got my baring tool and turned the motor over. I felt the significant resistance and knew there was an issue. Ron called almost daily wanting to help and checking to see what I found. I was super busy with work so I told him not to worry chit happens. It was nothing he did or could have prevented and I was no stranger to the FMLR club. IIRC around the same time I just finished building a motor for my Mega since I managed to shorten all six of my rods with only 13,000 miles on the truck . I was playing with fire nothing rare about that. Thats for another build thread lol.

I had a fresh .080" longer rod short stroke 6.4 that I just finished building for my 05. I was fighting serious death wobble in the 05 after replacing almost everything in the front end and had enough white knuckle scare's to drive me crazy.

So I thought about it for a little while and laughed as I said screw it my new EFI standalone 6.4 motor is going in the 1st gen. I figured I will fix whatever needs fixing on the P pumped 6.7 and I'll swap back when the time is right or use it for my drag truck. So we pulled the motor from the 05 and started to prep for the transplant. Few hours and a few of my guys this happened.

Fast forward later on during the swap when I had time to investigate further on my stand I found out the fat cap Cunningham rods couldn't shed the oil fast enough. They had just started to clamp tightly on the crank. I seen others post or report having other aftermarket rods in the same situation with high rpm's mainly 6.7's but I didn't bother looking any further. Ron was still wanting to help but there was no way i would or could accept. I turned some serious RPM's and I'm the one that did it its not a new stock truck off the lot .

This is where the madness begins which was going to be a quick swap and giver hell. Then one thing led to the other deal as usual

Here is a teaser picture of her new lung. We have a long way till I get to this point of of the build and much more further along then this.

More to come soon!

Closed Thread