Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 98-02 2nd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 10:58 AM   #1
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Horsepower Double 2001

About a year ago we held a give-away contest to double the horsepower on a 24v Cummins. This video shows the parts that were used. It was a tough project because we knew it could be done with the stock turbo, but that ole VP44 just didn't want to cooperate.

OEM 12v Block

Old 11-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
Timbeaux

Name: Timbeaux
Title: Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Member`s Gallery
Imagine the expenditure to double the HP on a current unit.
NO LIMIT FAB, DIESEL SOUTH, DC CUSTOMS
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight unvictorious."

Old 11-23-2019, 04:05 AM   #3
Big Blue24

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbeaux3hirty8ight View Post
Imagine the expenditure to double the HP on a current unit.
It could be upwards of 25k in parts to reliably double a new truck, maybe more!
OEM 12v Block

Old 11-23-2019, 08:10 AM   #4
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Couple things, first do you guys have a technical write up on the lift pump setup? Sounds awesome, would definitely entertain that the next time my air dog dies. Second, have you thought about doing a CompD contest to do some work on a truck? Probably not a "double the hp" theme, but maybe a finish you long term list theme? I'd bring you a dirty, rusty VP truck to clean up and fix! This video really makes me want to put mine on a dyno, could have just been the sound of the video, but that VP truck, just didn't sound that strong, or "sharp" on the exhaust note if that makes any sense. Either way fun and entertaining to see what you guys are up to, and how far you've come from before even opening the business.

Oh, as a disclaimer, I haven't looked for information on that lift pump yet if it is painfully obvious and easy to find.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by J-Pipes; 11-23-2019 at 08:16 AM.

Old 11-23-2019, 09:18 AM   #5
9724VF350

Name: 9724VF350
Title: Tractor Guy
Member`s Gallery
I like the lift pump, but the potential for something to happen to the drive worries me. A pump that would tolerate enough RPM to be lovejoy-ish coupled to the end of the crank would be the bees knees. Parker's MGG series would do it, have various displacements available, though they lack the handy internal regulation. Internal pump regulation does have the drawback of aeration though....

If Bosch would have just used a touch of VE technology and incorporated a vane or gerotor pump into the VP, life would be so much simpler.

Wife's ride-03 Excursion 12V swap in the works.

Old 11-23-2019, 05:30 PM   #6
smokinVE

Name: smokinVE
Title: $$+VE=NO HP
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9724VF350 View Post
If Bosch would have just used a touch of VE technology and incorporated a vane or gerotor pump into the VP, life would be so much simpler.
Never really messed with a 44 but I went off and got a 6 vein pump in one of my VE’s. Anything is possible with money, time and money and money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
I don't think they let hair sniffer twit much. Or the little gay guy. Only the Indian does.

Old 11-26-2019, 04:13 PM   #7
Big Blue24

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9724VF350 View Post
I like the lift pump, but the potential for something to happen to the drive worries me. A pump that would tolerate enough RPM to be lovejoy-ish coupled to the end of the crank would be the bees knees. Parker's MGG series would do it, have various displacements available, though they lack the handy internal regulation. Internal pump regulation does have the drawback of aeration though....

We have spun the predator pumps to 5k RPM or so on a couple of the race-oriented 12V's here at the shop. On the test stand, we've taken one to 6k RPM for an hour sustained to simulate accelerated wear/test reliability etc.

They are a good lift pump and have been great on the 12v engines. We had a few 24v truck fighting with fuel pressure issues meaning unstable pressure at times either too high or too low. We are soon to re-release the 24v kit with a secondary regulator so we can run the Predator at a happy minimum PSI setting for the internal regular and have the high RPM surge protection when someone winds one up to 3500 RPM and then chops the throttle... gotta build things bulletproof these days!
OEM 12v Block

Closed Thread