Cummins Scantool preview

Flashscan

Well, the moment many have been waiting for, some screen shots of a Cummins truck being logged.
Thanks to Zach at StarLite Diesel who braved the cold to send me some logs from he's test truck. Currently we are in the process of validating the data in these logs, so far everything is going very well with just a few minor changes along the way.

The first picture is a view of the strip charts in the scantool with a 5.9L Cummins log loaded. Because of the way the Cummins ECM scanning is configured, this will not work on any other engine except the CAN based 5.9L.
Whilst most of the values will appear obvious, I'll go over a few of the parameters you can see to explain why data logging and tuning are like beer and pizza, you can't have one without the other.
These charts are totally reconfigurable, you can change the data plotted, the colors, fonts, whatever you like.

On the top row, the RPM and Pedal are self explanatory, the other two values 'Inj Bank 1 V' & 'Inj Bank 2 V" show the voltage levels of the charge capacitors used to fire the injectors.

The second chart shows the three injection pulse times, Main, Pilot & Post. In this case both Pilot and Main were on, Post was off. The other data parameter 'Mode' we are currently evaluating it's purpose (this is beta remember).

The third chart shows some temperature values and the boost level (it's not 19.7 PSI, it's 19.7 PSI - Baro, so it's actually 7 PSI on this truck as baro was 12.7 PSI). Then of course the duty cycle of the Wastegate solenoid.

The final chart shows the 'Desired Rail Pressure', this is what the ECM is commanding, then the 'Actual Rail Pressure', what it really is and the amount of current the ECM is commanding to achieve that Rail Pressure. These are the parameters everyone wants, this is how you see if the fuel system is up to supplying enough fuel for a given injector time. And finally just a simple parameter showing the calculated engine load percentage.

Cummins_Strip_Small.png

The final screen shot shows what it looks like when you read the DTC's from a truck. This list was from an ECM on a bench harness which is why there is so many DTC's set.

DTC.png

The scantool testing will probably continue for the rest of the week, during this time we will also be updating the mapping descriptions based on the logged data coming in.

So the final piece of the puzzle is done, not long to go now

Regards,
EFILive

Last edited:
Will we be able to disable codes that are being set for electronics that we have removed. For example I run a belt drive lift pump and now I get a code for not having a lift pump. Can we tell the ecu to ignore that code so it does not come up all the time?

Thanks

Malcolm

Buy the very cool stuff!

Last edited:
Will we be able to disable codes that are being set for electronics that we have removed. For example I run a belt drive lift pump and now I get a code for not having a lift pump. Can we tell the ecu to ignore that code so it does not come up all the time?

Thanks

Malcolm
Buy the very cool stuff!

A range of fault codes have been enabled for our first release, and will be expanded over time.

The code that you refer to will most likely not be in our first release, but it will be something that we address in a future release.

Cheers
Cindy

:clap:

I can sink my teeth into that. Looks like an LB7, with wastegate control.

yes, some similarities to an LB7 with some of the complexity of an LLY/LB7 thrown in for good measure.... at least in my opinion. There are other cool things like defining the axis per 'group' of tables, which allows for some pretty fine grained control if needed.

Cool stuff!

lookin good EFI crew, wiring the 12v as we speak for EFI live!.......(yea riiight..)

man i wish i had a common rail.......

Back