Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Old 04-28-2019, 11:40 AM   #19441
ktllc15

Name: ktllc15
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quick question for the experts,

To replace a cm871isx in a 2011 kw t660 with a C15 cat what has to be changed electrically? Is it just a matter of repinning the harness that goes from the ecm to the firewall or is it way more involved than that?
Old 04-28-2019, 12:47 PM   #19442
Feed Bunk

Name: Feed Bunk
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
our 65e cat challenger developed a problem last night. Going through the field the temp gauge almost hits the red then cools way down then is back up to the red again. The coolant level is fine the thermostat and water pump maybe have 800hrs on them. It's a 3176 engine.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:33 PM   #19443
Rig Wrench

Name: Rig Wrench
Title: Wannabe Tech
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktllc15 View Post

To replace a cm871isx in a 2011 kw t660 with a C15 cat what has to be changed electrically? Is it just a matter of repinning the harness that goes from the ecm to the firewall or is it way more involved than that?
Harness, coolant temp sensor, tps are the main off top of my head. Can get a kustom truck harness. Repinned an sdp harness to put a 7cz in place of a 2250. But last i heard an sdp harness is pretty tough to get your hands on
Old 04-28-2019, 06:08 PM   #19444
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Buy the conversion harness from Kustom Harness and it’s plug and play. You may need to either swap the rear motor mounts on the frame to the older style or you will need to order the glider mounts from KW. The 2nd option there is no drilling required. Depending on what mounts the 660 has will determine what you need. If your time is worth nothing you can try repinning a Cat engine to firewall harness from another Paccar. On mine I used a Pete harness for an SDP and wouldn’t do it again. After I cut all the DPF crap out of it and moved a bunch of pins on the firewall side to match the KW it wasn’t worth it.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:26 PM   #19445
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Bunk View Post
our 65e cat challenger developed a problem last night. Going through the field the temp gauge almost hits the red then cools way down then is back up to the red again. The coolant level is fine the thermostat and water pump maybe have 800hrs on them. It's a 3176 engine.

I would make sure it’s actually doing what the gauge says. On some of the older trucks there are 3 sensors, one for gauge, one for ecm and one for warning light and you need to believe 2 of them.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:01 PM   #19446
ktllc15

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
I would make sure it’s actually doing what the gauge says. On some of the older trucks there are 3 sensors, one for gauge, one for ecm and one for warning light and you need to believe 2 of them.
Yep! On my old Pete there was two temp sensors one for the gauge and one to the ecm. My gauge would bounce all over the place going down the road but with my laptop plugged in watching the temp readout it stayed pretty consistent. Cleaned up the connection at the temp sensor and the gauge stayed steady with the ecm from then on.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:44 PM   #19447
bracker8040

Name: bracker8040
Member`s Gallery
Can someone help me out with an engine serial number?
Trying to find out engine build date. Truck build date is 4/00, engine serial number is 6NZ16102.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:42 PM   #19448
ktllc15

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracker8040 View Post
Trying to find out engine build date. Truck build date is 4/00, engine serial number is 6NZ16102.
You're not eld exempt if that's what you're trying to figure out. I can look it up on sis when I get home tomorrow if no one beats me to it though.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:36 PM   #19449
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
You're not eld exempt if that's what you're trying to figure out. I can look it up on sis when I get home tomorrow if no one beats me to it though.
I would appreciate it if you could look that up.
I was not expecting it to be ELD exempt. Has to be a 99 motor to be exempt, doesn’t it?
Old 04-29-2019, 05:48 PM   #19450
ktllc15

Member`s Gallery
The first 49xx 6nz's were exempt. I'll pull it up when I get home tomorrow afternoon. Forgot my laptop at home when I was running out the door last week.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:06 PM   #19451
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
The first 49xx 6nz's were exempt. I'll pull it up when I get home tomorrow afternoon. Forgot my laptop at home when I was running out the door last week.
Thanks.
What are you running since you had the wreck in your 379?
Old 04-29-2019, 08:13 PM   #19452
ktllc15

Member`s Gallery
Well after getting bent over real good by the insurance company I wasnt in a real good position to buy something else. By the time I would have got something bought, licensed, insured and ready to go I wouldn't have had any operating money left. So for a little while I wasn't real sure what I was going to do. Caught a lucky break though, I run under a good friend of mine's authority along with a couple other owner ops. Well he had been talking to a guy for awhile that wanted to drive for him so he bought a truck and made the mistake of hiring a driver. Guy ran 3 loads called him up and said he was done when he got back. Which of coarse leaves my buddy high and dry with insurance and a loan payment on a truck that's not moving. So he offered it to me and I just took the payment over. Works win win for both of us. It's an 11 t660 with a Cummins. I don't mind the 660's I spent the year before I bought my Pete in one as a company driver. They're a nice truck but I do hate Cummins so as soon as I find a good build able cat core to drag home I'll start building and swap it out down the road. That and I'm keeping my eyes open for w9 frame horns and spring hangers. 660 and w9 share the same cab so never know if I can finds some good deals and gather up the parts it might end up getting a face lift cause I'd sure love to move the steer axle ahead twO feet where it's supposed to be.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:58 PM   #19453
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Well after getting bent over real good by the insurance company I wasnt in a real good position to buy something else. By the time I would have got something bought, licensed, insured and ready to go I wouldn't have had any operating money left. So for a little while I wasn't real sure what I was going to do. Caught a lucky break though, I run under a good friend of mine's authority along with a couple other owner ops. Well he had been talking to a guy for awhile that wanted to drive for him so he bought a truck and made the mistake of hiring a driver. Guy ran 3 loads called him up and said he was done when he got back. Which of coarse leaves my buddy high and dry with insurance and a loan payment on a truck that's not moving. So he offered it to me and I just took the payment over. Works win win for both of us. It's an 11 t660 with a Cummins. I don't mind the 660's I spent the year before I bought my Pete in one as a company driver. They're a nice truck but I do hate Cummins so as soon as I find a good build able cat core to drag home I'll start building and swap it out down the road. That and I'm keeping my eyes open for w9 frame horns and spring hangers. 660 and w9 share the same cab so never know if I can finds some good deals and gather up the parts it might end up getting a face lift cause I'd sure love to move the steer axle ahead twO feet where it's supposed to be.

Good deal, glad you’re still rolling.

What became of the 379?
Old 04-29-2019, 09:59 PM   #19454
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
It's too new, just under 5000 were built in 99.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:47 AM   #19455
ktllc15

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Good deal, glad you’re still rolling.

What became of the 379?
Sold at auction... My 2000 was one of them rare 6nz's that just so happened to be in that first 5000 built that were exempt too
Old 04-30-2019, 08:26 AM   #19456
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Sold at auction... My 2000 was one of them rare 6nz's that just so happened to be in that first 5000 built that were exempt too
That hurts. Especially after all the work you had put into it.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:34 AM   #19457
ktllc15

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
That hurts. Especially after all the work you had put into it.
Yep definitely hurts. Only had 50k on the engine, was just starting to get broke in. After running this cumapart through the mountains last week I really miss my cat. Truck for truck mildy built 6nz vs tuned and deleted isx the Pete did better on mileage than this kw pulling a reefer at 75-80 mph in the mountains. Ran a round to Texas a couple weeks ago and averaged 6.5 running hard at 75-80 with this one though my Pete wouldn't do that on the same load. Luckily soon as I get back home I'm unhooking from the reefer and won't be hooking back up. Got a 53' step deck that I'm going to start dragging around instead
Old 04-30-2019, 05:57 PM   #19458
ktllc15

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Built: 3-22-2000
Tested: 3-22-2000
Shipped: 3-28-2000
Tested: 486hp 1735lb/ft
Spec: 491hp 1750lb/ft
Old 04-30-2019, 06:30 PM   #19459
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Built: 3-22-2000
Tested: 3-22-2000
Shipped: 3-28-2000
Tested: 486hp 1735lb/ft
Spec: 491hp 1750lb/ft
Awesome, thanks!
Old 04-30-2019, 08:36 PM   #19460
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Yep definitely hurts. Only had 50k on the engine, was just starting to get broke in. After running this cumapart through the mountains last week I really miss my cat. Truck for truck mildy built 6nz vs tuned and deleted isx the Pete did better on mileage than this kw pulling a reefer at 75-80 mph in the mountains. Ran a round to Texas a couple weeks ago and averaged 6.5 running hard at 75-80 with this one though my Pete wouldn't do that on the same load. Luckily soon as I get back home I'm unhooking from the reefer and won't be hooking back up. Got a 53' step deck that I'm going to start dragging around instead

You’ll get 50km to the liter when the euro trucks take over. Imagine how awesome hitting the back of that trailer would be in a cabover Scania. You will most definitely be the first one on scene. Just don’t leave your coffee in the cup holder when you raise your cab.