'04 6.0 doesn't want to start

when the truck sits overnight or can cool down for a few hours, it busts right off...

shut it down hot and it'll crank and crank. my buddy's been hitting it with ether to get it to start.

seems like it's gotta be something to do with the HEUI system... oil thins out when hot and not enough pressure to pop the injectors?

thanks for any help you can give us

I know pretty much zero about powerstrokes, so be kind! :eek:

NEVER USE EITHER ON A DIESEL. IF YOU MUST USE WD40

Now its probalby you hpop going.

What year truck ?
On some early trucks with the ICP sensor on the back of the head...the sensor gets hot and won't real oil pressure right and won't let the truck start....a biased sensor I believe is the right term.
One they cool off they'll start fine.

NEVER USE EITHER ON A DIESEL. IF YOU MUST USE WD40

Now its probalby you hpop going.

I didn't say I was using ether on it... my buddy is...

with that said, I've used ether on diesels plenty of times... if you know what you're doing, it's no big deal.

You have to remove a bunch of intake piping to use WD40...

Never Say Never :D

thanks for the help guys! :woohoo:

oh, and what's the "fix" for the hpop? replacement? any way to verify that's the problem? checking pressure, etc. ?

Unfortunatley the only "fix" if the HPOP is going is replacement. A couple of people sale HPOP gauges. If the dealer replaces this for you the bill will be in the ballpark of $2200. If your oil pressure comes up I believe the ICP sensor is fine. I hope it is just the sensor, since its an 04 it shouldn't be hard. In 2003 they were on the back of the motor under the turbo (nearly impossible to reach)

Back