Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:27 AM   #18461
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRE View Post
Yea you can flash your fancy electronic motor to 700... but what can you flash my Cmodel to?

Leiffi is essentially my idol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here’s your C model flash...

Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2018, 08:51 AM   #18462
bracker8040

Name: bracker8040
Member`s Gallery
I would do the SDP’s for that kind of money.
The S480 with a 1.45 would work pretty well after it lights, but you’re going to struggle even more than you currently do with smoke on the shifts if you go to the 480.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the bark when you downshift is what is causing the shaft play that you have. The shaft play is an indication that the thrust bearing is starting to die.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #18463
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
First time for everything.
My CAT 3/4 wouldn't touch two of the mains on 130 and the 150psi, then we backed in a service truck with 170psi on a 1" gun, no dice. Got out the 17:1 planetary and put somewhere around (I'm guessing) 75lbs of input torque on it. I wish I had used my torque wrench to know exactly how much was on it. Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 10-24-2018, 01:56 PM   #18464
JWhite

Name: JWhite
Title: Trained monkey
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
First time for everything.
My CAT 3/4 wouldn't touch two of the mains on 130 and the 150psi, then we backed in a service truck with 170psi on a 1" gun, no dice. Got out the 17:1 planetary and put somewhere around (I'm guessing) 75lbs of input torque on it. I wish I had used my torque wrench to know exactly how much was on it. Click the image to open in full size.

Is that 17:1 gear ratio or mechanical advantage

Should probably buy some new bolts! Surprised they held that much tq.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #18465
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Member`s Gallery
Anybody at the great lakes deal?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2018, 03:02 PM   #18466
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
Alright, another truck question.
Looking at an 03 W900L with an 8 bag under it. Not sure which one yet. If I buy the truck it needs (at least) the front end lowered. Pull the blocks out of the front, probably go to the short shackles, and see what its like at that point.
Question is, how far can the front come down before I need to worry about drive line angle?
When I lowered my Western Star I went down 3” in the front and didn’t have any issues. That was with the AirLiner rear suspension.
I know some guys are going to think this is nuts, but I’m 6’3” and the front of the hood is as high as head. That’s just not acceptable......
Old 10-25-2018, 04:25 PM   #18467
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
That's exactly why I like W9's

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 10-25-2018, 06:29 PM   #18468
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracker8040 View Post
Alright, another truck question.
Looking at an 03 W900L with an 8 bag under it. Not sure which one yet. If I buy the truck it needs (at least) the front end lowered. Pull the blocks out of the front, probably go to the short shackles, and see what its like at that point.
Question is, how far can the front come down before I need to worry about drive line angle?
When I lowered my Western Star I went down 3” in the front and didn’t have any issues. That was with the AirLiner rear suspension.
I know some guys are going to think this is nuts, but I’m 6’3” and the front of the hood is as high as head. That’s just not acceptable......

How long is the truck? Short it’s going to look stupid, longer and it won’t look like your driving a 1985 Monte Carlo with a mullet.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:13 PM   #18469
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
How long is the truck? Short it’s going to look stupid, longer and it won’t look like your driving a 1985 Monte Carlo with a mullet.
318” wheelbase.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:22 PM   #18470
ktllc15

Name: ktllc15
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Could put a car hauler front axle under it too. I don't know too much about the kw 8 bag, I've driven two but never payed much attention. Can you move the mounts up like the early Pete low air? If you can just lower the back equalish to the front with a taller 5th wheel and set up an over inflate valve to get in and out of parking lots where your tanks will hit.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:09 PM   #18471
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktllc15 View Post
Could put a car hauler front axle under it too. I don't know too much about the kw 8 bag, I've driven two but never payed much attention. Can you move the mounts up like the early Pete low air? If you can just lower the back equalish to the front with a taller 5th wheel and set up an over inflate valve to get in and out of parking lots where your tanks will hit.

It could already have it. A lot of KW’s have 5” drop axles and have blocks and long shackles to raise it back up. Lots of T660’s do this and I’m not sure why. Mine has the 5” drop which is 3” wider. Plus the disk brake hubs I added are another 1” wider so I can almost turn and check my own tail lights.

I bet at 318” he’s not going to have any issues with the rear. I had ordered a Horst kit with the AG springs for my steering but after waiting for at least 3+ months I said screw it. Apparently making a few brackets is too difficult for house of air. Could chew them out with a hand file in that length of time.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:35 PM   #18472
ktllc15

Name: ktllc15
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Gotcha, never really looked at the t600 or t660 I drove for awhile. 600 ended up on it's side in a ditch in Nebraska after I got hit head on by a Pete with a bull rack that fell asleep. climbed up and down the rear suspension of that one twice so I could go through the drivers window to grab stuff out of the truck but didn't look at how it was set up.

How do you like the air disks? Last year when I did king pins my axle failed the go gauge due to it being a little egged out. Shimmed it up tight to get by figuring I'd replace it next time around. Just scene I can get a complete disk axle from vanderhaags in Sioux falls for $750. And rear cut off with disks in the 2-3k range. I've been seriously considering switching mine over. Haven't heard anything bad about disks so far and from what I've heard they make dot inspections a breeze.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #18473
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I wondered about a car hauler axle also.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #18474
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
It could already have it. A lot of KW’s have 5” drop axles and have blocks and long shackles to raise it back up. Lots of T660’s do this and I’m not sure why. Mine has the 5” drop which is 3” wider. Plus the disk brake hubs I added are another 1” wider so I can almost turn and check my own tail lights.

I bet at 318” he’s not going to have any issues with the rear. I had ordered a Horst kit with the AG springs for my steering but after waiting for at least 3+ months I said screw it. Apparently making a few brackets is too difficult for house of air. Could chew them out with a hand file in that length of time.
What is the difference in length between the long shackles and the short shackles?
What are the chances of an 03 having the 5” drop axle?
I’m not looking to go crazy lowering it, just don’t like how the W900’s tend to be SO tall in the front.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:40 PM   #18475
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracker8040 View Post
What is the difference in length between the long shackles and the short shackles?

What are the chances of an 03 having the 5” drop axle?

I’m not looking to go crazy lowering it, just don’t like how the W900’s tend to be SO tall in the front.
Here are the long ones. The short are easily 2+ inches shorter. That’s a 5”drop in the pic. Click the image to open in full size.

Call a KW dealer with the VIN and they can tell you what axle it is.

Quote:
Gotcha, never really looked at the t600 or t660 I drove for awhile. 600 ended up on it's side in a ditch in Nebraska after I got hit head on by a Pete with a bull rack that fell asleep. climbed up and down the rear suspension of that one twice so I could go through the drivers window to grab stuff out of the truck but didn't look at how it was set up.

How do you like the air disks? Last year when I did king pins my axle failed the go gauge due to it being a little egged out. Shimmed it up tight to get by figuring I'd replace it next time around. Just scene I can get a complete disk axle from vanderhaags in Sioux falls for $750. And rear cut off with disks in the 2-3k range. I've been seriously considering switching mine over. Haven't heard anything bad about disks so far and from what I've heard they make dot inspections a breeze.

Love them. Have had several in the shop with 400k+ on original pads. Nothing to adjust, nothing to grease. I got a front axle and a 2016 cutoff for $3200. Cutoff was junk, 2.64 Kevin Rutherford gears in Meritor axles. Front axle tube was bent and big hole in the power divider. Stole the brakes/hubs off of them, Sold the 5th wheel off of it for $1000 and the rest of the suspension for $1500. Sold my old hubs for $600 so I almost got them all for free.

Scale house told me that they have never put a truck out of service with air disk. The only inspection is to look in the caliper. If they can’t see the backing plate your good to go.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:27 PM   #18476
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
The only problem I've seen with the bendix disks we have were drivers not releasing the parking brakes driving through them. That and a recall for the caliper mounting bolts being under torqued.

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 10-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #18477
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Anyone that buys a Prostar/Lonestar or any IH product needs their face set on fire and put out with an ice pick.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

And add to the fact Cummins felt the need to make you remove the damper to pull the head.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:36 AM   #18478
Rig Wrench

Name: Rig Wrench
Title: Wannabe Tech
Member`s Gallery
Why you have to pul the damper? Ive never needed to in order to get the head off
Old 10-27-2018, 10:28 AM   #18479
JWhite

Name: JWhite
Title: Trained monkey
Member`s Gallery
I'd guess someone didn't realize the bottom 2 holes are slotted on the cover
Old 10-27-2018, 02:24 PM   #18480
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhite View Post
I'd guess someone didn't realize the bottom 2 holes are slotted on the cover

Not all are slotted. It’s as random as the scissor gear.

The real question should be why do I have to pull the cam to pull the head.

Last edited by jfaulkner; 10-27-2018 at 02:27 PM.