Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Tech > 6.0 Powerstroke
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

6.0 Powerstroke Discussion of the 03-06 6.0

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
Dirtleg

Name: Dirtleg
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Tire opinions

I just got back home to 15-20 inches of snow. Now I have no love for the tires on my truck to begin with but they have Zero traction in snow apparently as I immediately got stuck on a very minor incline while trying to turn around at my place. My wifes truck and my other truck can drive around the farm without issue and have been since this snow fell.

My truck has a Cooper Discoverer all terrain tire on it that IMO has balance issues and traction issues. Both my other truck and wifes truck are using the Nitto Terra Grapplers. In fact we've purchased 4 sets of them in the past 4 years and have had good service from them averaging 50,000 miles per set.

I am however wondering if there is another tire that's worth looking into. It's been a number of years and I can't help but think it might be time to try something else but I don't want to make a blind decision. What have ya'll had good experince with. Also I drive 80-100 miles a day so wear needs to part of the equation. I used to like the BFG mud terrains but don't know enough about the newer ones to feel confident in them.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
12vriviera

Name: 12vriviera
Title: That Guy with that car
Member`s Gallery
I have firestone steelforce At's on my work truck, tires have 15k on the without rotating and are just now really showing wear.. and traction on and off road is awesome.. better on road that the factory BFG's and haven't had to spin them off road on the job sites,(it's a lot more fun if you do.) its a 2wd 08 4dr long bed 2500 with toolboxes. Good luck on your next buy!
I am a pushover
https://www.facebook.com/#!/24VRIVIERA

Old 12-20-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
ctdiesel99

Name: ctdiesel99
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
courser ct's here and absolutely love them. agressive tread but very road friendly. i paid like $178.22 a tire for mine in 305/70/16

2014 Jeep GC SRT

Old 12-26-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
goosekiller

Name: goosekiller
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I got m/t baja claws and they do great in the mud and the snow i have about 30k miles on them got about 5-10k miles left on them. They are not to noisy on the highway. I had bfg muds the new style before these and i def like the claws better.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
6.0stroker

Name: 6.0stroker
Member`s Gallery
Ive had goodyear Mt/R, pro comp mud terrain and xterrain, and so far i have found that the toyo open country m/t is the best. I have had 2 sets on my f350, 35s and then switched to 37s now and got about 44k out of the 35s. Also have them on our jeep and i think they are probably the quietest mud terrain out there. also they take hardly any weight to balance.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
Hurley03

Name: Hurley03
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
cooper st's are a good all around tire in my opinion i had some pizza cutters on my old ford 7.3 they wore good and had verry little road noise, if you have a tire factory near you they have some called trail cutters that i belive are cheaper and same basic tread pattern. cooper discoverers are another good at and cooper stt's are a good tire i have some on my pickup now they are 35/12.5/17s they grip good and some buddies of mine say they get about 40,000 on them only thing i noticed is they have a vibration above 80 because of the luggs but you cant hear them over the straight pipe

Old 12-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
!!!PainTrain!!!

Name: !!!PainTrain!!!
Member`s Gallery
I love my ProComp Xtreme A/Ts. Have 30K miles on them and they handle great.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
lthl_wpn

Name: lthl_wpn
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
i love mickey thompson mtz's. i hd hem on my last truck and now have hem on my f350. they do great in the mud and on the road they are awsomeand you can get a ot of miles out of them

2002 ext cab short bed 24 valve 6speed. SB clutch,125 jammers,hx40, raptor, autometer gauges, air raid intake. st8 pipe.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:19 PM   #9
scott2001

Name: scott2001
Title: Its never fast enough
Member`s Gallery
i put nittio grappler at on mine they do alright, my buds jeep got the new bfg ko i was really impressed with them, now they were on a jeep also. I always llike the bfg at just went a diffent route this time

Old 12-27-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
grueny

Name: grueny
Member`s Gallery
i have the mickey thompsons MTZs and they hook good the last two years sled pulling. don't like them in the snow cause i can't get the to bit. I have a crew cab long box with no weight in the back. that might be some of it. they do get good milage out of them though. Time to try something different next time.
03 Ram 2500, bd super b, air arch, boost boots, and boost builder, ATS exhaust manifold, ddp 90, fass 150, smarty, dual steering stabilizers, Mickey thompson MTZs 35s, 7 inch black miter cut stack. EV2 gauges and quad rail pressure gauge.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
Dirtleg

Name: Dirtleg
Member`s Gallery
Alot of different ideas here. I know I'm not going with Coopers again. There is no reason my 93 f350 with 315/75-16 Terra Grapplers should be so much smoother on the highway than my 06 F250 with the Coopers. Also has better traction in mud and snow.

Anyone run Dick Cepek fun country II ? Heard a couple of good things but not enough times to feel confident about them. I do have to tow up to 14k lbs regularly so I need a tire than can take the abuse from that as well.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:12 PM   #12
mdub707

Name: mdub707
Title: DamnKids Motorsports
Member`s Gallery
There are so many different opinions on tires and it's hard to tell how good a certain tire will work for you since we all have different driving habits.

If you go on powerstroke.org there is a wheel and tire section, read in there and see what everyone is running.

Toyo open country M/T are VERY popular over there in all sizes. They are expensive, but they last a long time under these heavy trucks. I personally have loved every Pro-Comp tire I've used and will probably purchase a set of these for my own truck since they can usually be had cheaper than the Toyos. I also love the Nitto Terra Grapplers, however they seem to wear faster than the Toyo or Pro Comps from what I have seen personally.

2006 F-250 6.0 4x4
SCT Xcal2 w/Innovative Diesel Tuning 466/772 7/19/08

DamnKids Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrowang View Post
The theory that the brain needs to function to sustain life was just disproven.

Closed Thread