Tuning a Wastegate

jones95runner

So this is my first go around for running a external gate. This will be with a s488 96 1.32. Motor has made in the 1500hp range with a single and fuel just playing with some new stuff. I have a 50mm high pressure turbo smart Gate coming to go with charger. I think the factory settings on waste gate is 35psi. I have boost and drive gauges.

Im more wondering do I need to go on and plumb air into the waste gate side and add a little more to the spring or leave it like it is and see where im at and go from there.

Also I'm assuming 1:1 would be ideal. So I think thats what I'm shooting for.

Sometimes it works well to simply let drive pressure open the gate and play with wastegate spring tension to adjust overall boost. Sometimes it works best to run somewhat light spring setting say 10 psi, run full boost to the bottom wastegate port to blow it open, and run regulatated boost pressure to the top port to adjust wastegate opening/overall boost.

The second sceanario works well with high pressure ratio setups like compound turbos where you want tune-able controlled opening of the gate and then wide open gate on the topend at high boost.

A third scenario that works as well on trucks with a large single turbo at high pressure ratio meaning drive pressure is likely to be a little higher than boost at max power, is to run a very light wastegate spring, say 5 psi, then put regulated boost to the top port.

Lots of ways to do it, all have slightly different advantages/disadvantages but all work reasonably well.

Watching this. I am in the process of learning it myself with compounds with the gate dumping in the hot pipe

Sometimes it works best to run somewhat light spring setting say 10 psi, run full boost to the bottom wastegate port to blow it open, and run regulatated boost pressure to the top port to adjust wastegate opening/overall boost.

The second sceanario works well with high pressure ratio setups like compound turbos where you want tune-able controlled opening of the gate and then wide open gate on the topend at high boost.

This is how I run mine, it works great with twins. Sure it would work well for a large single as well.

No trouble just never messed with one realy. Never ran one. Not very hard to make 1500hp without one.

Might be harder to make with one. Well matched charger dont need one. Everytime you open gate your boost/backpressure ratio will be worse.

Might be harder to make with one. Well matched charger dont need one. Everytime you open gate your boost/backpressure ratio will be worse.

There is a reason said turbo has to be run, and said turbo would most defiantly not live without a gate. It is a animal, makes more power than the hx80 we ran before.. but didn't play with any settings, just bolted on and ran.

We are going to the dyno soon so i will be able to tell if any changes help.

There is a reason said turbo has to be run, and said turbo would most defiantly not live without a gate. It is a animal, makes more power than the hx80 we ran before.. but didn't play with any settings, just bolted on and ran.

We are going to the dyno soon so i will be able to tell if any changes help.
1500 is quite much for that small BW turbine so yes wg might help if it is very badly choked.

Back