6.7 or 5.9?

Rat_Power_78

What does everybody prefer and why? My experience has been with p-pump 12-valves and 98.5-02 24-valves. I am considering replacing my two current trucks (ext cab 99 Dodge and 03 reg cab gasser Chevy) with one diesel truck. In a perfect world a clean, low-mile 12-valve would fall into my lap but thats obviously a bit of a pipe dream. I'm not opposed to buying new, but the emissions and the recent production halt on tuners to delete them concerns me. So whats everybody think?

For simplicity's sake I'd say 5.9 but if you're looking for the larger displacement to spool big chargers and what not I'd say 6.7 but that's just me.

I know the next truck I will buy is Gona be a 2010-11 dodge I think the 6.7 is an amazing engine but I don't know a whole lot about them I found a 2011 ccsb 2500 loaded with 50k for 30,000 which seems to be a great price

If you don't want to mess with the dpf/egr then I would say the 5.9.
If you are looking for a towing machine and don't mind the dpf/egr then the 6.7 is a good choice. I'm not saying the 5.9 isn't good for towing because it is and that is what I have but from what I have heard from others who have gone to the 6.7 they seem to think it is better. Both are good. I have an '06 but I am also looking to get a 6.7 do the deletes and tune with EFIlive. Just my thoughts.

ive owned both and hands down the 6.7 has my vote!!! but still cant go wrong with a 5.9, if you decide to go with a 6.7 ill sell you a minimaxx :poke::poke:

I have a 6.7 and love it. Even without the deletes it drives well, has great power and not many issues. The issues I have had are the stock cloth seats fell apart and the stock dual mass flywheel tore itself apart. I bought the truck new in 09 and off the lot I actually got great mileage that I couldn't complain about. 16-17mpg on county roads and around town and 19-22 on the highway. Towing mileage wasn't super great around 13. That is until the state of California made me get a new tune from dodge. Now I get about 13 around town, and 16-17 on the highway. If you aren't in California your stock mileage will likely be better.

Deletes are just going to be like everything else that people want that has been made illegal. There will be boot legged versions of them and it will just go under ground. There will always be a market for them and somebody smart enough to figure them out and capitalize on them. With all that said if you don't want that hassle go with a 5.9. Or get yourself an older 6.7 and pick up a delete tune from someone.

Sean

What does everybody prefer and why? My experience has been with p-pump 12-valves and 98.5-02 24-valves. I am considering replacing my two current trucks (ext cab 99 Dodge and 03 reg cab gasser Chevy) with one diesel truck. In a perfect world a clean, low-mile 12-valve would fall into my lap but thats obviously a bit of a pipe dream. I'm not opposed to buying new, but the emissions and the recent production halt on tuners to delete them concerns me. So whats everybody think?

I see your from Mn. There's a 94 red dually with 90K just
put on minneapolis craigslist. Beautiful truck. I wish I wasn't truck poor.

I have a 6.7 and love it. Even without the deletes it drives well, has great power and not many issues. The issues I have had are the stock cloth seats fell apart and the stock dual mass flywheel tore itself apart. I bought the truck new in 09 and off the lot I actually got great mileage that I couldn't complain about. 16-17mpg on county roads and around town and 19-22 on the highway. Towing mileage wasn't super great around 13. That is until the state of California made me get a new tune from dodge. Now I get about 13 around town, and 16-17 on the highway. If you aren't in California your stock mileage will likely be better.

Deletes are just going to be like everything else that people want that has been made illegal. There will be boot legged versions of them and it will just go under ground. There will always be a market for them and somebody smart enough to figure them out and capitalize on them. With all that said if you don't want that hassle go with a 5.9. Or get yourself an older 6.7 and pick up a delete tune from someone.

Sean

I'm not sure I would delete it if i went 6.7, but I like having the option and would probably even have most of it lined up shortly after purchase, that way I'm ready if/when problems arise. Its good to hear they do alright stock. How many miles do you have on yours? Do you pull often? How heavy when you do?

I see your from Mn. There's a 94 red dually with 90K just
put on minneapolis craigslist. Beautiful truck. I wish I wasn't truck poor.

Hmm.... Cant seem to find it on there. Could be gone already? I am definetly "truck poor" as well, thus the desire to replace two with one. Sadly, thats only scratching the surface of my fleet. Sadder still, the percentage of my fleet still on the road and not torn down for "improvements" has only gotten worse over the years. Oh well, maybe someday the government will decide having too many old, broken down trucks is a disease and they will pay me disability to stay home and work on them. I can hope, cant I? :Cheer:

Its listed on Jan. 8th. I just go under the forsale/wanted banner and put in cummins.

Dodge Ram 1 Ton Dually Diesel 4x4 90K Miles 1 Owner

I'm not sure on the 11-12 trucks but the 07.5-10 6.7's are phucking pitiful until you delete the garbage off them. After that, nice truck!

I'm sure brand new isn't in the books but the 2013's are going to SCR, which improves fuel economy over the older 6.7's with the NOx absorber catalyst (can tune the engine to produce higher NOx and lower PM engine out emissions, reducing the frequency of DPF regeneration). Supposedly there is a 15% bump in economy, but you also have to worry about DEF. I know the 2010 my school had for various automotive competition groups (EcoCar, FSAE, Mini Baja, etc) was a freaking tow missile and I don't remember the MPG being all that bad (low teens hauling a cross over SUV on an aluminum trailer)

I'm sure brand new isn't in the books but the 2013's are going to SCR, which improves fuel economy over the older 6.7's with the NOx absorber catalyst (can tune the engine to produce higher NOx and lower PM engine out emissions, reducing the frequency of DPF regeneration). Supposedly there is a 15% bump in economy, but you also have to worry about DEF. I know the 2010 my school had for various automotive competition groups (EcoCar, FSAE, Mini Baja, etc) was a freaking tow missile and I don't remember the MPG being all that bad (low teens hauling a cross over SUV on an aluminum trailer)

Actually, I was strongly considering new. Sounds like a '13 might be worth a little more investigating. As for the DEF, anybody know how much they consume? I really know nothing about it other than the DEF tanks on the Chevys hang way way low.

It really depends what you do with it. It will most likely consume more as you run it harder. I know the owner of a shop that runs a 5500 wrecker and they had nothing but good to say about the SCR system.

Probably in the thousands of miles range per fill up of the DEF tank. I know my dads TDI Touareg needs it every 2-4k miles.

Not to thread jack but I'm looking at a similar move from my 12v to a 08 to 12 model. With all that's said above about the 6.7 what are you guys seeing as far as tranny issues? I want the 6spd but ol lady wants and auto which would be nice for plowing as well.

I've got an 07 5.9 i'll sell you. I have no experience with modified 6.7's but the stock vs stock obviously you'd want a 5.9. Heard good things about both, but personally I like my 5.9 and know from lots of other people how durable it is as it sits and how awesome the power is you can squeeze out of it with basic upgrades. Not to mention Lavon will build you a stout 48re to go behind it.

I personally prefer the 5.9, but my expirence with the 6.7 hasnt been good, to me it seems like it runs more like a gasser and prefers the high RPM's espeically in mountain country, but my father and I ran the HELL outta our trucks movin cattle, and it just seemed my 5.9 ran better than his 6.7 he seemed to be hunting for gears all the time in his auto, now his 6.7 manual didn't have that problem, the clutch was just too weak.

Back