Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2007.5-2013 6.7L
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
808cummins

Name: 808cummins
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
buddies truck took a crap

So apparently somebody put water in my buddies fuel tank. Not knowing, he drove the truck until the sh#t hit the fan. So he brought the truck to the dealership to pay them a arm and a leg to to nothing lol. They changed lift pump, injector pump, all fuel lines, filter and sensors affiliated with fuel system and even throttle position assembly until he finally told them to stop working on it cause of $$. so heres the thing, he starts the truck and it runs but rough. He pushes the pedal and it revs very slowly and still rough. I know its vague in detail, but thats all he told me. i asked him if the changed or even checked the injectors and he said no. Is there anybody that has some kind of suggestion or input to this situation? Im just trying to help a buddy out. From what i know, he has a edge juice and dpf delete. Any help would be greatly appreciated! oh and yes its a 2009 6.7
06 dodge, crazy larry file w/outlook stacked with power puck, quadzilla boost fooler, custom intake, 4" aero exhaust, ATS billet transmission with converter lockup switch, heater grid delete, 12" of lift w/39.5x13.5x20 irok radials on 20x12 weld cheyenne's

Last edited by 808cummins; 02-12-2013 at 12:04 AM.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
cmnspwr

Name: cmnspwr
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I had a similar situation with my 2011 (exact same symptoms) due to contaminated fuel from a truck stop. Its the injectors; need to replace them all. I took mine to the dealer because I knew my comprehensive insurance would cover the repair costs (long story) and would keep the warranty going through them.
Dealership replaced all that you call out, but also put in new injectors. Have had no problems since. Total bill was just shy of $18k, but I only had to pay my deductible of $100.

Water is an incompressible fluid and trying to squeeze it through an injector tip will over-stress the metal and break it.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
oldblue116

Name: oldblue116
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
$18k^?

Thanks to Mumau diesel

Old 02-12-2013, 05:55 AM   #4
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmnspwr View Post

Water is an incompressible fluid and trying to squeeze it through an injector tip will over-stress the metal and break it.

I thought diesel was incompressible(for the most part) as well.

Probably some other properties(or lack of) that wipes out the injectors.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 02-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Gibson

Name: Gibson
Title: There's no love in diesel
Member`s Gallery
When its contaminated that bad. Here's what you need to do (insurarance wise and to not creat further problems) Drop tank and completely clean and dry, replace; fill tube and cap, lift pump, feed line, fuel filter and housing, feed line- filter to cp3, cp3, hard line from cp3-rail, rail, rail sensor, PRV/bango bolt, all 6 injector lines, all 6 connector tubes, all 6 injectors, flush head as best as possible, return line on back
Of head to filter housing and banjo bolt, anf return line to tank.

My bet is that if the tank wasn't properly flushed or cleaned and the old system didn't have fresh fuel ran thru it to remove all old fuel prior to installing new injection pump and lines they are possibly contaminated as well now. And if you install new injectors the newly contaminated lines and cp3 will Contaminate the new injectors.

Best bet is to start from the tank and clean clean clean and remove everything that fuel touches and inspect for rust very closely.

I went thru this before on a 5.9 cr. insurance paid for everything except flushing the head and replacing the injection lines and filler neck. Ended up ruining a new set of injectors and cp3 within 5-10 mins. Insurance ended up replacing everything the second go around.

2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins QC SRW

Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
cmnspwr

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue116 View Post
$18k^?
Dealer markup on parts. New CP3 was just shy of $6k and $9600 for 6 new injectors.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
rucummins

Name: rucummins
Member`s Gallery
Good friend of mine who works at a dealership sees a 6.7 about once a month with the same problems. Water in fuel code usually shows and injectors need replacing. Another is contaminated fuel, he says it's mostly caused by a vent on the top side of the fuel tank that is a open tube. Mostly happens on farm trucks with lots of dust getting in the tank from this vent tube and ruining the fuel system components

Gibson is correct, most cases he says the entire fuel system gets replaced

Last edited by rucummins; 02-13-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
Scooter's Roofing

Name: Scooter's Roofing
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Dealer markup on parts. New CP3 was just shy of $6k and $9600 for 6 new injectors.
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
gneal02

Name: gneal02
Title: Seminole Hater
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Holy Phucking chit! Are they made of gold? Your insurance company should sue that dealership for fraud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroked162 View Post
The ONLY truth I can appreciate is that you are a dim-witted dipchit that should highly consider sticking your head under water twice, and only bringing it up once... Go away

Last edited by gneal02; 02-13-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
strawboss

Name: strawboss
Title: 5thGenFarmer
Member`s Gallery
How do you get the insurance company to cover water in the tank??? Y'all must have better insurance agents than I do.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
Scooter's Roofing

Name: Scooter's Roofing
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
How do you get the insurance company to cover water in the tank??? Y'all must have better insurance agents than I do.
It's damage due to vandalism.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
CSnyder

Name: CSnyder
Title: Snyder-Motorsports
Member`s Gallery
Had one here last year where the guy had someone dump water in his aftermarket tank in the bed. It ruined his whole system and 135 gallons of fuel and did piston damage from driving it. His insurance agent got it all covered for him.

There is a HUGE difference between cocky and confident when it comes to engine building.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
Gibson

Name: Gibson
Title: There's no love in diesel
Member`s Gallery
If your vehical is damaged in anyway when it's under a lean to a lender and the damage is enough to total it they may even total it. But Chris and forrest are right. It's either vandalism or they go after the fuel company that you got it from. Like me. I filled up at a local station and only made it 2 miles before it shut down. 19% water according to insurance company. My insurance company even bought me an AirDog, II 100hp injectors and 85% over cp3.

2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins QC SRW

Old 02-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #14
strawboss

Name: strawboss
Title: 5thGenFarmer
Member`s Gallery
Good point, I'll give em a call tomorrow!

Old 02-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #15
cmnspwr

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
I initially had a claim against 7/11 (it's a Shell truck stop, but 7/11 is the store front and owns the fuel in the ground) with a case #. I turned over all of that information as well as paper trail over to my insurance adjuster and she ran with it. They got reimbursed from 7/11's liability insurance.

Here is the thread if you are interested. I still have the contaminated fuel in my garage in covered buckets. If anyone locally around Winchester,VA wants to do a giant bonfire, I'll happily supply the accelerant.

Closed Thread