Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Turbo/Super Charger Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
tinkertoy

Name: tinkertoy
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Triples vs twins

I’m thinking of changing my setup to compounds and looking at dps triples and called about them and they tried to talk me into twins said they would have better spool and more power!

Help me understand how a S480 will turn better than 2 S362’s?

Old 09-20-2019, 02:54 PM   #2
Timbeaux

Name: Timbeaux
Title: Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Member`s Gallery
Triples are often a cheaper alternative to a set of larger compounds.

Most triple applications on street trucks are either done to look cool or save money. You also are going to have to give up some space that is generally occupied by something else to fit them in.
NO LIMIT FAB, DIESEL SOUTH, DC CUSTOMS
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight unvictorious."

Old 09-21-2019, 06:01 PM   #3
tinkertoy

Name: tinkertoy
Member`s Gallery
Yeah I know a lot of show trucks do triples! Dps is telling me the triples are harder to tune and the twins they wanted me to run was with there new vgt as the pressure charger. I think that would be ok if it wasn’t new and proven but I think I’ll wait on that to see how they do.

I’ve talk to Pius about compounds and he ask u about your set up and builds the chargers to what the engine wants! He says he wouldnt do a married wastegate because he liked a wastegate on the manifold and builds to your boost level. I may wait awhile and have him built me the turbos and get crazy Carl to build a kit!

I just like the triple ideal but ain’t sure which way to go yet.

Old 09-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
megastang

Name: megastang
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Isn't Pius retiring?

Old 09-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
RacinDuallie

Name: RacinDuallie
Title: Black Sheep Racing
Member`s Gallery
Member T-man here has a triple 363 truck with a crazy Carl's kit. Damned thing boosts like nothing I've seen.

9.87 best times 5.9 based. T-man went up for more cubes so better times comin

Old 10-03-2019, 05:58 PM   #6
BC847

Name: BC847
Member`s Gallery
FWIW, I've a triple S362sxe fueled by a 12mm VE. It's pretty-much lit by 2200 or so. 150ish lb/min. I would definitely run an external gate if you're gonna be winding it higher than 3500 rpm, with more fuel than me.

Silencer ring MIA, str8 pipe with 10" exhaust tip, 250psi boost gauge, ghost-lights 'n truck-nutz. K&N air filter next (if my grades are good enoufh).

Last edited by BC847; 10-03-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:04 PM   #7
Thekid760

Name: Thekid760
Member`s Gallery
Haven’t seen many trip he351cw setups.

Why is that? 130lb/min, that’s more than an S480.

I was pondering doing it with an upgraded 67 turbine on manifold and possibly an Egate and 2x stockers as primarys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-26-2019, 11:49 PM   #8
Tate

Name: Tate
Title: What?
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid760 View Post
Haven’t seen many trip he351cw setups.

Why is that? 130lb/min, that’s more than an S480.

I was pondering doing it with an upgraded 67 turbine on manifold and possibly an Egate and 2x stockers as primarys.

I'm running a pair of HE351's into an HE341. $550 for all three turbos was the appealing part. The real estate they consume is the downside. The spool is decent. I would say comparable to better than the GT37/GT42 twins I used to run (if I remember right from 5 years ago). With 5x16s and a pump with just the standard parts, its clean until 70 psi of boost. That is also where exhaust likes to disconnect itself under the cab. Apparently 4" exhaust isn't enough.

My p-pump conversion pics

Old 10-26-2019, 11:58 PM   #9
fatty

Name: fatty
Title: VE
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate View Post
I'm running a pair of HE351's into an HE341. $550 for all three turbos was the appealing part. The real estate they consume is the downside. The spool is decent. I would say comparable to better than the GT37/GT42 twins I used to run (if I remember right from 5 years ago). With 5x16s and a pump with just the standard parts, its clean until 70 psi of boost. That is also where exhaust likes to disconnect itself under the cab. Apparently 4" exhaust isn't enough.
I'd bet the engine is rotating enough under WOT to pull the exhaust apart. My 91 used to do that, until I put a 2' section of flex pipe just after the down pipe.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:41 AM   #10
Thekid760

Member`s Gallery
How is your drive pressure Tate? Hp or track times? How does it drive daily and tow?

This will be in a Ford, on a 2005 Cummins, more room under the hood.

Old 10-27-2019, 02:10 AM   #11
Tate

Name: Tate
Title: What?
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid760 View Post
How is your drive pressure Tate? Hp or track times? How does it drive daily and tow?

This will be in a Ford, on a 2005 Cummins, more room under the hood.

Never checked my drive pressures with it. Its just a truck for picking up things and dragging the rzr out to the mountains. Tows great, EGT's always stay in check. No track times, I think I'd have G56 parts laying on the ground. No dyno numbers, but I'd estimate around 600 based on previous setups I've had. Daily drives as well as it always has. Boost response is good. Smoke when trying to drive carefully is worse after the 5x16s, but once its making 5 psi or so its clean up until around 70psi.

My boost from the primaries is around 20 psi, total around 80. It seems to hold the 4:1 through out all rpm and boost ranges. I hooked up the gate on the HE341, only to have response worsen, smoke worsen and temps worsen. I would get about 40 psi out of the primaries, but the total was only about 45, really killed the secondary. I kept restricting the gate until finally its just the actuator with no boost signal. Thats how it is today.

The exhaust coming off is 99% a flow thing. The rest of the exhaust is all on factory hangers with lots of movement. It blew the same joint off 3 times (downpipe to the rest under the cab), I fixed that good and proper, and it blew the next joint down the line that hasn't been off in the better part of 10 years. It needs either a true dual 4" or a 5", but there is no room for a 5" down pipe with how I built it. For what I do with the truck, its just fine, but I know thats hurting potential.

My p-pump conversion pics

Old 10-27-2019, 07:24 AM   #12
Thekid760

Member`s Gallery
Thank you for the input and your experience.

Closed Thread