Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2019, 03:17 PM   #19941
jfaulkner
 
jfaulkner's Avatar

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 5,165
Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracker8040 View Post
Surely not a recap.


No, lift axle tire original to the trailer from 2011. Had a hard life. Had a valve stick a time or two and dump the ride bags without shutting the brakes off and fill lift bags. Was mostly round except for the flat spots.

And people ask why I have lift kits on every trailer axle, that’s why.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
Flipping your mirrors up when you don't tow? That serves no purpose other than to let me know that you are a douche, from a distance.

Last edited by jfaulkner; 09-30-2019 at 03:19 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:30 PM   #19942
bracker8040

Name: bracker8040
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
No, lift axle tire original to the trailer from 2011. Had a hard life. Had a valve stick a time or two and dump the ride bags without shutting the brakes off and fill lift bags. Was mostly round except for the flat spots.

And people ask why I have lift kits on every trailer axle, that’s why.
10-4. I was thinking if it were a recap it would have come completely apart.
Even with that cheap freight you haul I didn’t expect you to run recaps.
Sure is nice to be able to lift it a roll on!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:10 PM   #19943
Leiffi
 
Leiffi's Avatar

Name: Leiffi
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jan 2013
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
I would assume it would stop almost all the issues. It becomes deckplated with that setup so like the super stock pickups the Cyl explosion is happening in the 1” plate and not being contained in the block. The longer rods keep the side load off the liner. All the pressure is up and down and obviously it’s splitting where the head bolts stop. They’re not blowing out the side of the blocks. I haven’t heard of much Cyclone Machine has come up with that didn’t work.


But according to the European mouth breather they’re only making about 800hp and a stock D12 Volvo can do that with TDI turbo.
Longer rods make more peak cylinder pressure, turbocharged engines should never use long rods.

Just use Volvo block and never have problems again, Cats are just crap.

In the pictures C18 after one season. Not a single pull without some kind of mechanical failure, head gaskets mostly, finally block gave up. Now they forget Cat, next season propably Fiat V8.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190928_234655.jpg (600.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190928_234736.jpg (608.7 KB, 0 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:11 PM   #19944
Leiffi
 
Leiffi's Avatar

Name: Leiffi
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jan 2013
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
I would assume it would stop almost all the issues. It becomes deckplated with that setup so like the super stock pickups the Cyl explosion is happening in the 1” plate and not being contained in the block. The longer rods keep the side load off the liner. All the pressure is up and down and obviously it’s splitting where the head bolts stop. They’re not blowing out the side of the blocks. I haven’t heard of much Cyclone Machine has come up with that didn’t work.


But according to the European mouth breather they’re only making about 800hp and a stock D12 Volvo can do that with TDI turbo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRam96 View Post
I guess I didnt think of it becoming a deck plate engine with longer rods. Makes sense.

But I was thinking the issue was the amount of manifold pressure these motors were making that caused the failures. As you mentioned the breakage seems to be at the bottom of the head bolts in the cam bore where the block is the thinnest. This failure doesn't seem to happen to any of the single turbo motors, just the three charger motors.
No triples in Quebec a couple of years ago, it was not even B model but C15 or 18, whatever.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:20 PM   #19945
jfaulkner
 
jfaulkner's Avatar

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 5,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiffi View Post
Longer rods make more peak cylinder pressure, turbocharged engines should never use long rods.



Just use Volvo block and never have problems again, Cats are just crap.



In the pictures C18 after one season. Not a single pull without some kind of mechanical failure, head gaskets mostly, finally block gave up. Now they forget Cat, next season propably Fiat V8.


And the king idiot has spoken. Longer rods don’t side load the liner like short rods, the reason they make longer rods is because they deckplate the top of the block. The Cummins B blocks were breaking when boost was raised and timing was advanced to gain HP. LONGER rods and deck plates stopped this issue. However they allow aftermarket solid blocks in those classes now so longer rods aren’t needed.

When we see a Volvo making 3k+ HP at 5k rpm with 140psi of boost then maybe someone will believe your stronger block bull****. Hell we would be impressed if you yourself actually built something that made more than a bone stock 3406 with a stage 1 tune. You brag about your vast knowledge and have never built anything yourself. Someone else flashes your ecm and someone else builds your injectors. I made twice your Hp with stock cat parts including injectors.

I’ll ask again since you didn’t answer last time. Which Euro powered truck won ANY of the Canadian drag races? I told my buddy that went to that race with a competitor that you didn’t come because you said they wouldn’t allow a D16. They both laughed because NO ONE that raced that weekend would give two chits if you brought that POS. No one with any REAL experience with REAL hp is threatened by your euro crap. We’ve seen the best you have to offer and it’s usually at the auction yards selling for scrap price.

Besides d-bags what is Finland’s primary export?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
Flipping your mirrors up when you don't tow? That serves no purpose other than to let me know that you are a douche, from a distance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:23 PM   #19946
jfaulkner
 
jfaulkner's Avatar

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 5,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiffi View Post
No triples in Quebec a couple of years ago, it was not even B model but C15 or 18, whatever.


No engine failures other than a head gasket and a few turbos and almost all the trucks were Cat. So they’re making more HP and having less failures other than driveline. Seems your information is a bit out dated.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
Flipping your mirrors up when you don't tow? That serves no purpose other than to let me know that you are a douche, from a distance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:39 AM   #19947
SmokinCAT
 
SmokinCAT's Avatar

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oh
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 2,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiffi View Post
Longer rods make more peak cylinder pressure, turbocharged engines should never use long rods.

Just use Volvo block and never have problems again, Cats are just crap.

In the pictures C18 after one season. Not a single pull without some kind of mechanical failure, head gaskets mostly, finally block gave up. Now they forget Cat, next season propably Fiat V8.
You contradicted yourself in one single post, long rods aren't needed then you post a picture of an engine with one of the crappiest rod to stroke ratios available, maybe only rivaled by the ISX which also slings rods.

The longer rod with the shorter stroke of the C15 acert works, otherwise you would see electronic engines splitting in the same spot, but they wont because they dont have the cam bore to be a weakness.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #19948
SmokinCAT
 
SmokinCAT's Avatar

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oh
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 2,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiffi View Post
Longer rods make more peak cylinder pressure, turbocharged engines should never use long rods.

Just use Volvo block and never have problems again, Cats are just crap.

In the pictures C18 after one season. Not a single pull without some kind of mechanical failure, head gaskets mostly, finally block gave up. Now they forget Cat, next season propably Fiat V8.
**** tuning can be contributed to most C18 rod failures in a performance application.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:46 PM   #19949
Rig Wrench
 
Rig Wrench's Avatar

Name: Rig Wrench
Title: Wannabe Tech
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: In the ditch
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
**** tuning can be contributed to most C18 rod failures in a performance application.

Must be why falkner is buildin and swappin in a c17
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:34 PM   #19950
jfaulkner
 
jfaulkner's Avatar

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 5,165
Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Wrench View Post
Must be why falkner is buildin and swappin in a c17
You mean D16 Volvo? It only makes sense really, I mean from the US sled pulls to the Canadian truck drags the Volvo is just simply dominating. You can't sling a dead cat without hitting one going down the highway.

Saw this last week. One of Leiffi’s family members had a bad day.
Click the image to open in full size.

You would have thought with all that Volvo HP it would have thrown those paper rolls out of the back doors but....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
Flipping your mirrors up when you don't tow? That serves no purpose other than to let me know that you are a douche, from a distance.

Last edited by jfaulkner; 10-02-2019 at 07:36 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:57 PM   #19951
KTAPETERBILT

Name: KTAPETERBILT
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Dec 2013
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 67
I have to say that the Pete called Class Act from shreve, Ohio is probably the best one out there- Cat powered.I have yet to see a Volvo or any of that other " stuff".KT's or Cats , some V8 Macks in OSTPA &NTPA pulls.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #19952
jfaulkner
 
jfaulkner's Avatar

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 5,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTAPETERBILT View Post
I have to say that the Pete called Class Act from shreve, Ohio is probably the best one out there- Cat powered.I have yet to see a Volvo or any of that other " stuff".KT's or Cats , some V8 Macks in OSTPA &NTPA pulls.


Watched an electric cat wax the mechanicals at the Enderle pull. Didn’t think I would see the day that happened.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
Flipping your mirrors up when you don't tow? That serves no purpose other than to let me know that you are a douche, from a distance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:40 PM   #19953
malibu795
 
malibu795's Avatar

Name: malibu795
Title: 2wd numb nut
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: s. charelston ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 6,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
You mean D16 Volvo? It only makes sense really, I mean from the US sled pulls to the Canadian truck drags the Volvo is just simply dominating. You can't sling a dead cat without hitting one going down the highway.

Saw this last week. One of Leiffi’s family members had a bad day.
Click the image to open in full size.

You would have thought with all that Volvo HP it would have thrown those paper rolls out of the back doors but....
looks like the brakes work very well
__________________
adam
99 3500HD LBZ/4l85 C&C semi retired hotshot
07 3500hd LMM RCLB hotshot, GT4088R, ovals
99 FL60 mutt
Quote:
smooth seas never made a skillfull sailor
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:22 PM   #19954
Leiffi
 
Leiffi's Avatar

Name: Leiffi
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jan 2013
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
You contradicted yourself in one single post, long rods aren't needed then you post a picture of an engine with one of the crappiest rod to stroke ratios available, maybe only rivaled by the ISX which also slings rods.

The longer rod with the shorter stroke of the C15 acert works, otherwise you would see electronic engines splitting in the same spot, but they wont because they dont have the cam bore to be a weakness.
I posted a picture of a Cat, the crappiest engine.

C15 or whatever it was split the block and threw cab away a couple of years ago during practice sessions of one of Quebec races maybe 3 years ago.

Reason because there is no Volvos is that they just dont know better. Volvo is better than Cat in every part, stronger block, stronger conrods, better headgasket, better heads.

855 Cummins has very long rods, that is the reason they are crap compared to L10 and M11, piston is moving too slow at TDC making very high peak cylinder pressure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1499365237499.jpg (80.2 KB, 0 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:29 PM   #19955
Leiffi
 
Leiffi's Avatar

Name: Leiffi
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jan 2013
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
No engine failures other than a head gasket and a few turbos and almost all the trucks were Cat. So they’re making more HP and having less failures other than driveline. Seems your information is a bit out dated.
Yes, they started to run quite well a couple of years ago in A-class after they threw almost all stock Cat parts away and converted to Bosch modular commonrail and aftermarket ECM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:44 PM   #19956
jfaulkner
 
jfaulkner's Avatar

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 5,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiffi View Post
Yes, they started to run quite well a couple of years ago in A-class after they threw almost all stock Cat parts away and converted to Bosch modular commonrail and aftermarket ECM.


Lmao, cat blocks, crank, pistons, cam, head, valve train, gear train and most have stock Cat ecm. They have started using the custom rods so they can run C18 pistons with C15 cranks. That’s the C17 that Rig Wrench was talking about. The long CRANK stroke is what increases dwell time at TDC. That is why the C18 doesn’t like 3000+ RPM that IT WAS NEVER INTENDED TO RUN. I know this because that’s how I got my C18 crank. So I guess if you consider swapping rods “threw almost all stock Cat parts away” a major swap then you are correct. What your too stupid to understand is almost all of the pullers have ditched the stock fuel system. Not because it’s bad but it limits flow when your going for 3-4 times the designed HP.

Keep in mind you said before you had custom injectors for your truck. I guess that could be considered junking all the Volvo parts? And you still only make the same power as a stock cat with a tune.

Now the ones that are junk are the DT466, guys think they’re amazing engines because the pro stock tractors run them. What they don’t realize is NONE of the parts are IH. Hypermax block, custom crank, pistons head is solid. There are no IH parts on them.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
Flipping your mirrors up when you don't tow? That serves no purpose other than to let me know that you are a douche, from a distance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:51 PM   #19957
jfaulkner
 
jfaulkner's Avatar

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 5,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiffi View Post
Reason because there is no Volvos is that they just dont know better. Volvo is better than Cat in every part, stronger block, stronger conrods, better headgasket, better heads.


So let me get this straight. You think guys here will spend hundreds of thousands of dollars building these trucks trying to beat their competition by fractions of an inch, and have just never heard of Volvo? They have a 19L engine size limit and no more than 2 stages of air, unlimited water water injection and are up to 19mm injection pumps but didn’t know these amazing green engines exist?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
Flipping your mirrors up when you don't tow? That serves no purpose other than to let me know that you are a douche, from a distance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:14 AM   #19958
SmokinCAT
 
SmokinCAT's Avatar

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oh
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 2,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
Lmao, cat blocks, crank, pistons, cam, head, valve train, gear train and most have stock Cat ecm. They have started using the custom rods so they can run C18 pistons with C15 cranks. That’s the C17 that Rig Wrench was talking about. The long CRANK stroke is what increases dwell time at TDC. That is why the C18 doesn’t like 3000+ RPM that IT WAS NEVER INTENDED TO RUN. I know this because that’s how I got my C18 crank. So I guess if you consider swapping rods “threw almost all stock Cat parts away” a major swap then you are correct. What your too stupid to understand is almost all of the pullers have ditched the stock fuel system. Not because it’s bad but it limits flow when your going for 3-4 times the designed HP.

Keep in mind you said before you had custom injectors for your truck. I guess that could be considered junking all the Volvo parts? And you still only make the same power as a stock cat with a tune.

Now the ones that are junk are the DT466, guys think they’re amazing engines because the pro stock tractors run them. What they don’t realize is NONE of the parts are IH. Hypermax block, custom crank, pistons head is solid. There are no IH parts on them.
You forget that Hypermax block actually has an IH part number.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:56 PM   #19959
malibu795
 
malibu795's Avatar

Name: malibu795
Title: 2wd numb nut
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: s. charelston ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 6,642
~15M tax subsidy, 300/500 Mile range Tesla semi... ~160k/180k... Still no stated cost on charging infrastructure and "energy storage" infrastructure..
If one needs tax subsidy it's not economically viable

15 Tesla Semi electric trucks to replace diesel trucks at Pepsi facility - Electrek
__________________
adam
99 3500HD LBZ/4l85 C&C semi retired hotshot
07 3500hd LMM RCLB hotshot, GT4088R, ovals
99 FL60 mutt
Quote:
smooth seas never made a skillfull sailor
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:34 PM   #19960
JWhite
 
JWhite's Avatar

Name: JWhite
Title: Trained monkey
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: F Burg Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 1,529
An in town delivery setup might be a viable option for electric or a hybrid, I can see why they're doing it (for the tax break actually). Battery technology won't be advancing near as much as people think it will, the more eco friendly option is CNG.
__________________
GMC with a LiLLY
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 AM.

 


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 - 2020, CompetitionDiesel.com
all information found on this site is property of www.competitiondiesel.com