trans shelled out... again

wow ... usually planetarys have brass bushings ..... i guess I have never seen one with needle bearings in them , either way broken gears not good obviously ..... not sure if the oem will hold your power levels though .... might have to for a little bit i suppose ..... not running factory drum are u ?

Direct drum? its billet but not really needed. As far as the oem 5 pinion OD planet, its plenty strong. I thought it would be a good idea to swap it out for a 6, but apparently I got a bad gear or its just a aftermarket piece of crap.

The uneven band wear/half burned area is from the drum flexing due to super high clamp load combined with a rigid/solid band. Flex bands work better on the high line pressure race stuff because they flex to follow the distorted contour of the drum under high clamp load.

Basically go back with $15 kevlar lined Raybestos flex band and your burning issue will be resolved.

The uneven band wear/half burned area is from the drum flexing due to super high clamp load combined with a rigid/solid band. Flex bands work better on the high line pressure race stuff because they flex to follow the distorted contour of the drum under high clamp load.

Basically go back with $15 kevlar lined Raybestos flex band and your burning issue will be resolved.

Makes sense.

Are you still running the 6 plate OD brake setup with the 48re backing plate?
I hope to get the pressure up to 180-200 and don't like the idea of the thin 48re plate even though alot of people run it without issue. It would be cool if there was a way to make the 6 plate setup fit with the stock 47re plate. I think I will get a stock 47 plate and see if there is a way to make it work or machine it as little as possible. I'm probably overthinking this :hehe: but I don't wanna have problems again.

Goerend stock stall triple on order. Was hoping to get the trans rebuilt this weekend but wittrans didn't send me all my parts:doh:

So I tried to fit 6 clutches/steels in the OD brake with the stock reaction plate, too tight. Can't get the little retaining ring in. Is there any way to make this work? I don't wanna machine the plate. I already left out the wavy spring.

So I tried to fit 6 clutches/steels in the OD brake with the stock reaction plate, too tight. Can't get the little retaining ring in. Is there any way to make this work? I don't wanna machine the plate. I already left out the wavy spring.

I have always used the stepped 48re reaction plate. I haven't bent one yet at 200 psi line pressure although that is probably really close to the maximum pressure you should run with the 48re backing plate.

In your case, either machine the stock plate for some relief, or pay $15 to buy a used 48re reaction plate from wittrans.com.

I can machine the plate no problem, but I'd rather not. I guess I could machine just enough to get the retainer ring in and run a thinner OD piston spacer if needed. Or just run 5 clutches.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

i am running about 500hp in my truck and i have a quadzilla and a smarty on it and it keeps giving it to much pressure for the trans it bends the bands really bad and it has stage 1 bands in it what should i do to solve my problem

I'm not sure how you can bend a band, usually with that much line pressure they do this

gubyjatu.jpg

I'm not sure how you can bend a band, usually with that much line pressure they do this

gubyjatu.jpg

for a second I thought that was a picture of the band I broke. Mine was 180-200 psi. First WOT run with only a few miles on the band. Pulled tranny last night will be the 4th band I have ran in less then 1000 miles. Going back to a flex style band, along with new drum.

Attachments

• 2013-06-19_09-46-08_952_zps946848de.jpg
    2013-06-19_09-46-08_952_zps946848de.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
for a second I thought that was a picture of the band I broke. Mine was 180-200 psi. First WOT run with only a few miles on the band. Pulled tranny last night will be the 4th band I have ran in less then 1000 miles. Going back to a flex style band, along with new drum.

2013-06-19_09-46-08_952_zps946848de.jpg Photo by kmkdiesel | Photobucket

That sucks. What ratio apply lever? I had a rigid band but going back to a flex band, and hope to get the pressure close to 200. I have a 3.8 lever though.

After some measuring it looks like I'd have to machine at least a .080 step in the plate. I think I will just take out a friction and stack 2 steels to take the place of the wavy spring and call it good.

Back