Garage Lighting

ryan.g

Hard work, clean livin'
Anyone have any better lighting suggestions better then the 8ft fluorescent lights I have now? Looking for a better quality light that will last longer then what I currently have.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

LED's are the way to go. You just get the LED bulbs to replace your fluorescents. They are pricey, but worth it. Uses the same fixture, but no ballasts. We use them on backlighting our clocks at night too. Big difference over even the High output bulbs. And, they use less electricity and have an amazingly long lifespan

T5HO above 15 feet, t8 below.

Unless your utility company kicks in, or you get some kind of rebate, it is really hard for the LED to provide the paybacks at this time. Also you have to worry about heat with the LED, while the LED's won't burn out, you could have issues with the electronics.

Last edited:
Especially the 54watt t5 ho lamps... They hurt the eyes for brightness

Unless your doing a special order or something, I believe all T5HO lamps are 54Watts.

my suggestion would also be a 5000K lamp as well(many call that a daylight fixture).

They come in a 28 watt standard the 54s are high output used in high bay style lights...
You can get either in a t bay

They come in a 28 watt standard the 54s are high output used in high bay style lights...
You can get either in a t bay

Let me restate it, I have never seen anyone use a t5 lamp in any type of open space lighting. They have all been t5HO. If you want a lower output go to a T8 with is 32watt.

Last edited:
The t8 light is awesome. I have some in my basement. They have been on for I'd say a good year solid and are still bright and the original bulbs.

Sent from my x2 somewhere

The t8 light is awesome. I have some in my basement. They have been on for I'd say a good year solid and are still bright and the original bulbs.

Cycling lights on and off will limit their lifespan. A programmed soft start will help minimize the impact though.

The issue is figuring out if the cost of leaving them on is cheaper than replacing the bulbs sooner.

Last edited:

What are you growing?

the ballasts design is what keeps lights alive longer with programming of the start and shutdown.. The better the quality ballast the better it is for lamps life.

Back