International with a VT365 - No Start

wannabehero

Any of you guys have any experience with these turds?

I inherited this one after two guys who had no idea what they were doing diag'd it.

Issue is a no start, but will crank. Owner says it will occasionally start on the huff juice, but then runs like crap for a while before smoothing out.

I went and took a look last weekend and could not get it to run. I didnt have my service truck with me, so pretty much just had my scanner. Came back with a code for all 8 injectors saying low to high opens.

I find it extremely hard to believe both VC harnesses went bad, or all 8 injectors. Leaning towards a FICM, but i have little experience with these motors.

Can anyone lend some knowledge..itd be greatly appreciated

I believe it's known as the 6.0 Powerstroke in the Ford world. I have no experience personally, but the Powerstroke guys on here should know something if there are any around. ???

Any of you guys have any experience with these turds?

I inherited this one after two guys who had no idea what they were doing diag'd it.

Issue is a no start, but will crank. Owner says it will occasionally start on the huff juice, but then runs like crap for a while before smoothing out.

I went and took a look last weekend and could not get it to run. I didnt have my service truck with me, so pretty much just had my scanner. Came back with a code for all 8 injectors saying low to high opens.

I find it extremely hard to believe both VC harnesses went bad, or all 8 injectors. Leaning towards a FICM, but i have little experience with these motors.

Can anyone lend some knowledge..itd be greatly appreciated
FICM gets my vote.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Could be the FICM. But I doubt it. Most time they will never start with a bad FICM. Sounds like sticking injectors also. Do you have a gauge you could check the ICP while cranking?

Last edited:
you need to monitor the following WHILE CRANKING:

ficm voltage

RPM

IPR duty cycle voltage or %

post up the results and we can go from there.

If the truck looks poorly maintained and has been sitting a while, injectors could be the culprit, but jumping to conclusions can cost a lot.

If the rpm is below 350, it could be starter speed / battery voltage issue (needs to see that to tell the injectors to fire).

If ipr duty cycle is crazy, it could be a failing HPOP, leaking injectors, weak base oil pressure etc (think low oil pressure or large oil leak).

If ficm voltage is below 47 volts, its unhealthy anyway, but there is a minimum voltage required to fire i just cant recall right now.

Very unlikely the injector harness is bad.

Make sure your low pressure fuel system is providing adequate pressure and not aerating the fuel.

Can you describe how it runs immediatly after fire up? Fuel knock? Will it rev to redline right away if you floor it or does it stumble and take for ever?

Last edited:
I wont be around the truck until later next week.
I havent personally heard it fire, nor could i get it to even spit or sputter. I had it hooked to my truck, so i know voltage was good as far as battery cranking.

The truck is maintained, just not an every day driver. Its a mason dump that he uses on bigger jobs. is there an easy way to moniter the FICM voltage other than a scan tool? The one I have is a borrowed ancient Nexiq tablet. I have to see if the parameter is in there.

Either way, I will report back once I get back on this turd. Im sure I will have more questions, so I appreciate your guys help on this one.

they need around 560 psi of high pressure oil to fire. sootie is correct on the info that he gave. I owned one for 6 years and learned way too much about them. I forgot the ipr duty cycle %'s of where it's open and closed. also need to know ficm sync to see if the ficm is getting signal from the engine. also a bad icp sensor can cause a no start but you can do a simple test of just unplugging it and seeing if it will fire up with the icp unplugged.

things that need to be watched while cranking:
High pressure oil psi
ficm voltage
ficm sync
ipr duty cycle
these four things will tell you what to start to attack for diagnosing.

two well charged batteries helps a lot too.

download forscan to a Windows computer...that has almost the same capability as Ford IDS

Last edited:
So my scan tool wont read FICM, unplugging the icp doesnt change anything. Cranking fast enough for sure. The ipr duty is 55% with key on.

So it has high pressure oil so that's good. So it's not a pump or high pressure oil leak. It could be the ficm but I would want to see ficm voltage and ficm sync first to verify. ficm voltage should be 47.5 volts or 48 volts while cranking. If it dips into the 46 volts range the ficm is bad or if it's not seeing a sync. sync should read either 1 or 2 I can't remember off the top of my head.

Also pull the bigger fuel filter cap off on the top of the motor. the fuel bowl should fill up fairly quickly. To test that just pull of the cap off. turn the key onto the run position and you should see it fill up quickly. If it's not it could be as simple as a clogged fuel filters or bad fuel pump. the fuel pump is on the side of the frame rail near the transmission. that's where the other fuel filter is also. I like starting with the simple basic stuff before jumping off into the deep end.

Last edited:
Spoke to a guy that ran a huge IH shop out here before he got tired of being the boss. Hes leaning like you said, fuel pressure. Going to dive into that tomo, see what i need to test pressure and get it all put together and check.

Spoke to a guy that ran a huge IH shop out here before he got tired of being the boss. Hes leaning like you said, fuel pressure. Going to dive into that tomo, see what i need to test pressure and get it all put together and check.

Also check the relays/fuses for the fuel pump and for the ficm. It could be that simple.

Back