Is a Detroit series 40 the same as a DT 466?

jrshipper

I have a chance to pickup a Detroit series 40 engine with a p-pump. It is in an old Capacity Trailer Jockey. Is this the same as the DT 466? If so what kind of performance mods can be done to it? I am currently putting a 12 valve cummins in my 1982 Ford Bronco, and came across this and thought it would be a good score for a later project. Let me know what you'll think.

Correct, it is a 466 re-badged as a Series 40. Based off of a 93 & newer NGD version of the 466. You can do all the same tricks to the pump as you would a 12 Valve Cummins. My 466 at work has a #0 plate from my old Dodge. Keep in mind, it's likely to have 10mm plungers, so adding a 0 plate full forward wont gain but 40hp. You know the size specs for the 466? it's big & heavy. 1 ton pickup & up.

Yeah I know that it will have to be a 1 ton truck. I was just curious as to what is was exactly before I picked it up, it will be a steal. What kind of tranny would you suggest to put behind it?

3000+ HP in full pulling dress, lol
:lolly:
Thanks Gene!
The hp limit is equal to your budget.
Like a 12 Valve, it doesnt take much to make big power. Figure the torque will be 2.5 times the hp level. Find a used pump from a pulling tractor, like from pulloff.com
The injectors arent the limiting factor until you get closer to 600hp.

Isn't the 545 kinda weak for drag racing. I would think a custom adapter to a 47 or 4r100 would be the way to go there.

The 545 is a low cost option, since an adapter, flex plate, ECM, and other little items would make the 4R swap pretty spendy. Pipewhiner would have more info on the costs.

I had this all made for my swap. It is relative because blowing a trans from too much power not only sucks but is expensive. I have heard rumors about the strenght of the 545. I wonder what it can really take. I mean they put it in school buses for heavens sake.

Actually it's not even rated for that. Allison says 235hp, and 445tq are max input. That's also at a gross weight of 30k pounds. As it sits, in a pickup, you could get away with a whole lot more.

I'd suggest a Fuller FS or FSO-6406 or 8406 six speeds. The FS is direct drive and the FSO is overdrive. You supposedly can convert a FS to an FSO. I'll find out if it is true when I attempt to make my FS-6306 an FSO-6306. A spicer ESO66-7B would be another good overdrive tranny option (7 speed).

Heath

Back