Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 11:15 AM   #1
bateman

Name: bateman
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Custom battery cables?

Looking to redo all the cables in my 2nd gen. Looks like several companies build them relatively cheap. Any certain flavor or company you folks recommend? I first noticed the Larry B options, but have since found much cheaper options.

Would it be worth the money to just buy a good crimping tool and terminal lugs? Just curious what others have done.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:31 AM   #2
dmigz57

Name: dmigz57
Member`s Gallery
I bought a hydraulic crimping tool off amazon for under $50. Comes with different dies, works great. I made all my cables out of welding cable for a local hardware store with crimp on lugs and good heat shrink. Never buy pre made cables again.

Old 01-20-2020, 01:23 PM   #3
Marq92

Name: Marq92
Member`s Gallery
I bought cables from this company. Good customer service and very well made product. Probably more on the expensive side but compared to oem, not so much, especially considering it is an upgrade. I'm not a "diy"er when it comes to electronics so it suited my needs well.
2001.0 QCLB 3500 4x4 3.55 Toyo M-55 255/85R16 Brown's/Goerend 48RE sonnax shafts/maxed count Alto clutches Carli/Deaver 3.0 EMF BJ's PSC 6 bolt box Synergy steering TheRetroShop HID projector retrofit VLED's DC Power 180A alternator W-T ground mod ISSPRO EV2's

Old 01-20-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
bateman

Member`s Gallery
I do enjoy buying the appropriate tool when it comes time to do a new job, but on the other hand in 20 years of being a gear head I've never needed to build a set of battery cables. Wondering if it might not be worth the bit extra to just buy a set and be done with it.

Marq92, are you referring to the company "CustomBatteryCables.com"? I didn't exactly mean them in particular with my thread title, but I have since found them during my search. Looks inline with Larry B's quality and price.

Part of me wants to be a cheap SOB and just crimp some new ends on my cables and roll out. Isn't that the name of the game on non performance parts? lol

Old 01-20-2020, 01:45 PM   #5
diesel_importer

Name: diesel_importer
Member`s Gallery
I use Spectro Wire & Cable out of OK for my terminals, heat shrink and crimpers. We use them every week rebuild customer's cables. I'm sure there are better crimpers out there, but these are good for the money.

Old 01-20-2020, 01:51 PM   #6
diesel_importer

Name: diesel_importer
Member`s Gallery
Click the image to open in full size.

Rebuild them, coat them with good stuff and they’ll last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-20-2020, 02:01 PM   #7
Marq92

Member`s Gallery
Sorry, I copied this in link but forgot to add it in my post Battery Cable: Dodge Ram 2500/3500—1994-1998 (Gen 2) 12 valve 5.9L Cummins Diesel
2001.0 QCLB 3500 4x4 3.55 Toyo M-55 255/85R16 Brown's/Goerend 48RE sonnax shafts/maxed count Alto clutches Carli/Deaver 3.0 EMF BJ's PSC 6 bolt box Synergy steering TheRetroShop HID projector retrofit VLED's DC Power 180A alternator W-T ground mod ISSPRO EV2's

Old 01-20-2020, 02:10 PM   #8
Marq92

Member`s Gallery
Yeah I didn't know Larry B sold battery cables, just starters and solenoids. I was never really aware of Larry B at the time I was looking at cables. It was a little pricey but I like to buy from places that specialize in that area and I only had to buy cables from the driver's side as I'm running a single group 31. Quality was really nice and they answered all my questions on Facebook. I'm sure you could contact Larry B and see what kind of package they could come up with for you and compare the custom battery cables.

Old 01-20-2020, 02:45 PM   #9
bateman

Member`s Gallery
Looks like Larry B's has the same exact kit that Custom Battery Cables has. Within $5 of price as well. $270 and $275. Man I hate to spend money on stuff like this or ball joints, diff. gears and bearings, etc... lol

Old 01-20-2020, 02:47 PM   #10
bateman

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_importer View Post
I use Spectro Wire & Cable out of OK for my terminals, heat shrink and crimpers. We use them every week rebuild customer's cables. I'm sure there are better crimpers out there, but these are good for the money.
Which crimper did you buy? The hammer crimper or the big handled crimpers? Your cables look good. I would like to reuse my cables if I can save some money/buy tools to use in the future.

Old 01-20-2020, 03:31 PM   #11
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bateman View Post
Looks like Larry B's has the same exact kit that Custom Battery Cables has. Within $5 of price as well. $270 and $275. Man I hate to spend money on stuff like this or ball joints, diff. gears and bearings, etc... lol
Man, that's basically all I spend money on anymore. ha ha I feel the same way.

Old 01-20-2020, 03:38 PM   #12
raychem

Name: raychem
Title: Not enough time
Member`s Gallery
Custom Battery Cables

I have used their sets a number of times. They have worked out very good and I do like the terminals they use. Especially when there are 50 connectors on each battery for power and ground.

The price is fair and I am not building any battery cables at this time. A set at the dealer even at cost is north of $ 450.00 last time I priced out a set. So yeah I will buy their set.

Old 01-20-2020, 04:37 PM   #13
bateman

Member`s Gallery
raychem, I hear ya. I was left stranded in the Smokey Mountain National Park right after new years at a camp ground. Battery problems led to a 2 hour round trip with Uber to get to the Interstate dealer. It's a show stopper when my pickup wont crank.

With that being said, my cables don't look bad at all. Passenger side is still OE holding strong. The driver side has some crappy style terminals that pinch the wire.

Our shop foreman offered me his hammer crimper and said it works great. I have mil-spec terminals as well. So now I'm debating if this is a time to bust out my wallet or save $250 and fix what I have if it will work.

Old 01-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #14
bateman

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
Man, that's basically all I spend money on anymore. ha ha I feel the same way.
Sucks doesn't it? haha I would much rather put this towards some 5x14's or something exciting.

Old 01-20-2020, 05:05 PM   #15
Begle1

Name: Begle1
Member`s Gallery
I've made cables before by taking one of those copper lugs, clamping it upright and filling it full of bits of solder, holding a propane torch on it until the solder melts and the lug turns into a molten little cauldron, and then shoving the bare wires into it.

I'm sure that's not the best way to do it but all my cables have about 10 years on them (in about the easiest climate and duty cycle imaginable) and haven't given me any trouble yet.

I'm not really convinced that crimping a better way to go either.

I imagine a better technique would be if you got the wires in the cable hot too, before sticking it into the lug full of molten solder, to try to get some of the solder to suck itself into the cable.

Old 01-20-2020, 05:42 PM   #16
bateman

Member`s Gallery
Begle1, the only prob there is solder and vibrations. Learned that in aviation and think it might be a problem in an old 12v. Sounds like you have had good luck with it though.

I’m going to do a bit of research on the hammer crimp machine. If it seems sufficient I will try to upgrade my current wires with military terminals and lugs.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:06 PM   #17
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
I use a hammer crimp fixture a couple times a week in boat work. Cheap, buy one offline, then use welding cable as was mentioned.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:24 PM   #18
Begle1

Name: Begle1
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bateman View Post
Begle1, the only prob there is solder and vibrations. Learned that in aviation and think it might be a problem in an old 12v. Sounds like you have had good luck with it though.

I’m going to do a bit of research on the hammer crimp machine. If it seems sufficient I will try to upgrade my current wires with military terminals and lugs.
I can see vibration breaking the solder being an issue. The solder keeps the connection all clean in there though.

Maybe the best method would be to solder and then crimp, or some kind of strain relief.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:10 AM   #19
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
I have used these solder loaded terminals for years on all sorts of applications. Golf carts to 150hp tractors, everything gets a set when the original ones are suspect.

No failures to report of. Run them on my 1sr gen 12v with no issues. And nothing rises rougher than a 2wd first gen dually.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 01-21-2020, 06:50 AM   #20
zachu812

Name: zachu812
Member`s Gallery
If your cables are still in decent shape you could just replace the lugs on the end. I swapped to a battery with threaded studs and soldered some nice copper lugs on the end of my existing cables then put some heat shrink over them. Much cleaner and easier to deal with now. If you don't wanna swap batteries they made adapters to go from top post to threaded studs.

Closed Thread