Aluminum rods!?

AntiqueCR

Anybody have any input on aluminum rods ? Mostly track use truck maybe cruis around looking for imports once in a while. How long would I expect for life span on a aluminum rod at about 15-1600hp in a cr??? Any help would be appreciated

Gonna really depend on how many passes you make. I wouldnt expect to get more than a season or two out of them. Why do you want AL rods?

wagler made a set for milliken to use in the nova. imo money can be spent elsewhere, it’s a tractor engine..

Milliken just smoked his with low oil pressure, not really the rods problem. He's 2500+ and makes a lot of passes

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I would be glad they were billet steel rods in it and not aluminum. My guess their would be much more damage if so.

Aluminum isn't a good material choice for rods because they will fatigue. Esp in a long stroke high torque engine.

And they're making 12,000hp. Every little thing counts.

I know why they are replaced. Those engine are a controlled explosion. I was only making the point that top fuel was nowhere near a proper comparison to a Diesel.

I know why they are replaced. Those engine are a controlled explosion. I was only making the point that top fuel was nowhere near a proper comparison to a Diesel.

I was agreeing with you. Just reinforcing that they only need them because they are going after every last drop.

Last edited:
Anybody have any input on aluminum rods ? Mostly track use truck maybe cruis around looking for imports once in a while. How long would I expect for life span on a aluminum rod at about 15-1600hp in a cr??? Any help would be appreciated

The +1” steel rods in my deck plate engine are only 84grams heavier then the stockers I just pulled out of a customers engine. I’ve had v8 international garbage be off more then that on one assembly. In other words if weight is a concern, there are some decent steel options out there.

To be fair, a rod in a V8 engine has a much easier life than a longer stroke straight 6 and isn't a very good comparison. The difference being close to 1 inch longer stroke puts a lot more stress on parts.

Back