Entry level TIG welder

AHall

Hobbyist
Looking to get into tig welding. Only as a hobbyist doing small fab jobs, working with tubing, compound piping, and just something i've always wanted to do. Need A/C for aluminum. Any recommendation on a good machine? So far I'm leaning towards a Thermal Arc 186. It has more features than other lower end models. After my research I found the Miller Diversion 165 is the same unit as the Hobart Ez-Tig 165i. The hobart is just cheaper and comes with a foot pedal.

http://www.weldersupply.com/P/776/ThermalArcFabricator186A

http://store.cyberweld.com/hotigweez16.html

http://store.cyberweld.com/midi165tigwe.html

Curious of your thoughts. I'm sure a few people have settled for one and wished they spent the extra cash for another.

I have a thermal Arc 185TSW thing has to be all of 15yrs old. LOVE IT I have had no issues with it.

They make two models the TSW is more for Alum welding where you can change duty cycle, pulse, etc. Just keep that in mind.

Mike

I have the miller 165 and its a nice machine. I actually prefer the thumb wheel adjuster because your not always welding where you can confidently place your foot on a pedal, well at least I'm not. The thumb wheel adjuster is very easy to use IMO. Only thing is I wish I had a bigger machine lol. I also want a water cooled torch.

Also, it doesn't have all the fancy features on it, but for 80% of what I use it for its not needed either. Although I do wish it still had the features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I really like my Everlast powertig 250ex. Before that I had an alpha tig 200 ($800) it was a really nice machine for the money.

I've been looking at getting my first tig welder myself, and have been eyeing the HTP Invertig 221 and the miller syncrowave 210. I believe USA weld has a "black friday" sale going on right now on the HTP. I think they are a little more expensive than the ones you have listed, but they might be worth taking a look at

I really like my Everlast powertig 250ex. Before that I had an alpha tig 200 ($800) it was a really nice machine for the money.

Im glad to hear you say that. I'm in the same boat as OP and figure I might as well get an ac/dc tig/stick/plasma cutter combo if I'm gonna get a tig. Everlast's warranty and reputation seems solid as far as I can tell and the price for the size of welder is awesome.

Eastwood and HTP both have very nice reasonably priced machines. HTPs are top notch, and one will probably be my next welder purchase

I second the powertig 250ex. I love mine. Super handy.

I am not super excited about the quality of the hoses and torch, but after arket ones can be used just fine. I also have the cooler. It allows me to weld aluminum over 200a for hours.

I have a htp 221 which is the best machine in the 200amp size range for what features has and comes with a ck torch but i wouldnt call it entry level. I would get an everlast hands down as an entry level machine. Great machines that are priced low and have alot of features and the highest 5 year warranty everyone else is 3years.

I'm happy with my Miller welders, a trusted brand that sponsored all of my school competitions and has some amazing technology in their multi process machines also.

I own a Miller syncrowave 200 AC/DC TIG/STICK welder, I managed to buy it new on sale for about $2,250 and have had 0 problems with it. I've used it quite often over the past two years. Great machine.

Im glad to hear you say that. I'm in the same boat as OP and figure I might as well get an ac/dc tig/stick/plasma cutter combo if I'm gonna get a tig. Everlast's warranty and reputation seems solid as far as I can tell and the price for the size of welder is awesome.

I've got a combo like that. That I use just for the plasma now. If you're not going to be switchingfrom tig to plasma a lot it may not be that bad.. when I was using that machine for both it would get a little annoying to swap back and forth. Might try and save up to buy 2 machines. It's $300-400 more but it's less hassle.

Also guys don't forget if you get a big machine. Most of time you have to buy a water cooler. Unless you buy a aircooled torch. But then you are limited on amps.

Last edited:
Also do not buy miller they are way over priced for what you get.

For this type of welder I would agree, but if you have ever welded with the new 350 dynasts you would change your mind. It is unreal how well they weld alum together. Granted that welder fully set-up is 8k. :)

All Miller here as well and it's hard to go wrong with their gear. You guys think you get ****ed on the price try up here.

Another question from a TIG newbie, is the HF start worth the extra as far as TIG?

I would assume so as it limits the risk of tungsten contamination but figured I'd ask regardless.

Another question from a TIG newbie, is the HF start worth the extra as far as TIG?

I would assume so as it limits the risk of tungsten contamination but figured I'd ask regardless.

Yes i would get one with hf start. Generally most of the cheaper invertor tig welders already come with hf start.

Back