Questions about modifying girdle.

DionysiosA76

CumDizle
Hey guys, so I have an 06 engine that has been punched .040" oversize to a 4.0556" bore, mains have been drilled and tapped to accept 14mm studs, now I'm running into girdle clearance issues obviously.

I do not want to have to purchase the 'Gorilla Girdle' or whatever, looking for alternative options to do myself. Thanks!

9697b6c0bfd712e05c4a2b37ca4e277b.jpg

5ba0dafbfd1c00f9d6058266b52cdf9f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure exactly what's involved, but i've seen some guys stack two stock stiffener plates. I'm pretty sure they were tig welded together.

Drill baby drill!

This is what I'd do.

I'm not sure exactly what's involved, but i've seen some guys stack two stock stiffener plates. I'm pretty sure they were tig welded together.

I've done similar things in completely different applications and you'd be surprised at how much weaker it is this way. If you go this route, I'd recommend drilling a bunch of extra holes to fill because if you're only TIGing on the outside, it'll still flex a lot between plates and make it much less stiff.
And considering you'd be getting rid of any heat treating already, if it is head treated originally, I'd recommend annealing it.

yeah that would be off and a little! bending and or tab relocating is a must! If you don't want to buy the upgraded one just drill call it a day!

Drilling would be taking a hell of a lot of material with it, you think I'll be ok? Considering the 12v didn't have this block stiffening business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know with 625 12mm studs there wasn't much material left to clear the nut. You would have to get above the nut for the stiffner to have any material left IMO. So welding the two together usually gets you high enough

I welded mine. Got longer bolts and bolt through both of them. Welded all over. Notched to clear pickup tube etc....

What I noticed when I modified the stock girdle for the main studs was the material was so soft that when you were torquing the nuts holding the girdle to the studs its started to crush the nuts into the girdle . In my opinion if your going to run your studs through the girdled it would be well worth while to spend the money and get a girdle made out of some stronger material.

Back