How Much Boost On A 5EK

JimmyWells

5EK82590 with a 550 file done by a reputable tuner. Just had it dynoed after rebuild. 917HP at the flywheel and 764 to the ground. I ran that tune for years on the stock turbo and manifold before the gasket started leaking and the head developed cracks.

During the rebuild I had a new 80mm turbo put on with a 1.45 A/R that now gets me around 42 lbs of boost versus the 25 or so I used to get. Well, my head gasket blew within two afters getting it back from the shop. Is this too much boost? What can I safely push before fire ringing the head?

5EK82590 with a 550 file done by a reputable tuner. Just had it dynoed after rebuild. 917HP at the flywheel and 764 to the ground. I ran that tune for years on the stock turbo and manifold before the gasket started leaking and the head developed cracks.

During the rebuild I had a new 80mm turbo put on with a 1.45 A/R that now gets me around 42 lbs of boost versus the 25 or so I used to get. Well, my head gasket blew within two afters getting it back from the shop. Is this too much boost? What can I safely push before fire ringing the head?
What was the liner projection when they put the head back on?

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

What was the liner projection when they put the head back on?

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

I'm still waiting for those. They didn't give me the sheet when I picked it up the first time and they were supposed to be remeasuring yesterday. They did cut all 6 holes during the rebuild. That's what's on my invoice at least.

EDIT: shop just called and said the numbers were between 4 and 4.5 across all liners. Also said the gasket itself wasn't blown but machine shop noticed something on the head deck indicating a leak. I guess they saw a carbon trail but I cannot confirm that.

Last edited:
764 on the stock turbo?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I never checked it to confirm it was the stock unit but I never changed it in the five years I've owned it until the rebuild. The shop that dynoed it also did the rebuild and the tuner told me it should be putting down about 650 to the wheels on the stock turbo. When he did the tune a few years ago he also told me to get something bigger due to possibly overspeeding it. With the larger turbo I expected the number to rise a little. Am I missing something here?

Anyone know a place to get a 3406e head fire ringed in the Eastern Ohio or Central/West PA areas?

Last edited:
Back