Need assistance. Mustang MTL16 Fuel Stop Motor.

4x4dually

Fighting an issue with my buddy's Mustang MTL16 with a Yanmar in it.

He called and wanted my help. It would crank but wouldn't fire. I told him it sounded like the fuel stop solenoid was bad. Come to find out, it is a stop "motor" not a plunger type solenoid that goes flump flump. It actually rotates back and forth. Apparently it has a fuel stop relay and a timer.

I can't for the life of me find any diagrams on the interwebz on how this Asian some-buck is wired. I actually took two wires from the battery and got the motor to drive one direction and it fired right up. Then we had to pull a fuel line and let it starve after 35 minutes to get it to stop. I can't make the motor go the other direction.

Anyone have experience, knowledge, or diagrams? I'm googlin' everything I can think of.

Thanks in advance. :D

Guys at work just had a similar thing happen to their bobcat skid steer, to start it they have to jump the starter and to stop it they stall the machine. It will not start with the key because it is showing a code for a bad relay.

Guys at work just had a similar thing happen to their bobcat skid steer, to start it they have to jump the starter and to stop it they stall the machine. It will not start with the key because it is showing a code for a bad relay.

It's the same as a fuel solenoid on a 12V...but it rotates so it has to be driven one direction to enable fuel then driven the other direction in order to stop fuel. Never seen one before. I'm trying to find a diagram so I can start probing on it.

Needs replaced with a cable from the cab. $.02

My John Deere 935 & 915 lawn mower with the 3 cylinder yanmar engines has the same deal as the 12v. They tend to stick some times and you have to move them by hand.

My John Deere 935 & 915 lawn mower with the 3 cylinder yanmar engines has the same deal as the 12v. They tend to stick some times and you have to move them by hand.

This one is a little motor that rotates and the lever mounted on the end of the motor shaft is what pulls and pushes the fuel stop lever back and forth. I couldn't move it with my hand or a prybar.

This one is a little motor that rotates and the lever mounted on the end of the motor shaft is what pulls and pushes the fuel stop lever back and forth. I couldn't move it with my hand or a prybar.

Oh now I understand. I've not seen one of those before. I agree a pull cable to the cab is the way to go

Last edited:
Oh now I understand. I've not seen one of those before. I agree a pull cable to the cab is the way to go

I'm not the most versed in mechanical injected diesels....but it was a new one for me. Why the hell would anyone relay on a motor to stop a motor? Stupid design.

Could you make a push/pull cable?

Yes. Probably the best choice function and budget wise.

Does anyone have access to parts/diagrams for a Yanmar 4TNE98-tbl motor?

I'm googlin' now.....I can't find a fuel shutoff that is a motor and not a solenoid.

does it look like this one? hard to see what you are working with to help...

Nope. It is not a push-pull type. It is motor type. When activated, it rotates one direction to enable fuel, then rotates back the other direction to disable fuel. It's retarded.

Had a Isuzu in a excavator with the same deal, called a step motor. It went bad and was frieght fully expensive ran a cable and it was fixed.

Back