Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- GM > GM Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GM Competition and Performance General GM Competiton and Performance

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #1
DIESEL_POWER

Name: DIESEL_POWER
Title: NGM Diesel
Member`s Gallery
Built allison

Ok so I have a LML, and got a built trans, all is well except one thing, it goes into reverse rougher than it should. Almost like a soft slam into reverse. I was told by the builder it was normal, but it's so bad that the engine down pipe hits the fire wall on occasion because of this when out into reverse.

I put on over 40 k on it and changed to synthetic fluid and new filter, this seemed to help, but still pretty noticable.

Only thing that seems to help is leaving it in neutral for a few seconds before going into reverse.

Any ideas?

Old 02-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Wade, I don't have suggestions for the trans issues, but if your engine is moving that much your factory motor mounts are probably shot. You need to install a set of the Merchant Automotive motor mounts which are also available from several other vendors in colors other than MA Orange...

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #3
sootie

Name: sootie
Title: .....like a BAWSS
Member`s Gallery
could be too tight a stall on the converter? If it is really lugging the engine down at idle, it is a big change from drive to reverse.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:12 AM   #4
IdahoRob

Name: IdahoRob
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Wade, I've had a built tranny/converter in my LML for 35k miles and have never noticed that issue on my truck. I don't have an answer on what could be causing it, outside of a very aggressive converter. Do you have a stock TCM tune in it, or one modded for increased PSI?

"Max'd Out" SoCal Engine, Randy's Trans, DDP 9.36@154 MPH SS legal trim.

Last edited by IdahoRob; 02-15-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:44 PM   #5
DIESEL_POWER

Member`s Gallery
The mounts are fine, it only jams in gear in reverse, no other gear or selection. Rob, yes the tcm was modified for extra rpm when towing using the exhaust brake, that's the way it was explained.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:46 PM   #6
DIESEL_POWER

Member`s Gallery
Had the tunes prior to the trans upgrade, since the trans upgrade this issue has been around.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:47 PM   #7
DIESEL_POWER

Member`s Gallery
Seems to me like a vb issue.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:23 PM   #8
IdahoRob

Name: IdahoRob
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
For giggles, I'd throw the stock tcm tune in it. If you didn't do the tcm tune yourself, then it's unknown if line pressure was played with. Increased TCM controlled pressure coupled with VB mods when the tranny was done, may not be playing nice.

"Max'd Out" SoCal Engine, Randy's Trans, DDP 9.36@154 MPH SS legal trim.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:03 PM   #9
dieselpro55

Name: dieselpro55
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Maybe a mainline pressure shim with the spring would increase the pressure in the reverse...you could tune for a slightly lower idle and that would help some

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 02-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #10
DIESEL_POWER

Member`s Gallery
I'll look into to the tcm Rob and let you know thanks

Closed Thread