Engine cooling

Justappumped24v

I have 2 thoughts for my 95 12v on engine cooling to rid myself of the ridiculous fans cheaply for a wet engine block
Option 1 Honda Civic radiator single electric fan
Or
Option 2 stock radiator with 2 electric fans on it

zip ties good to 500 hp, jb weld to 750, jb weld and zipties good to 1000, after that you're gonne need bailin wire.

Taurus fans, Volvo relays. Done.

x2

Do a little homework on Taurus fans. They late 90's (I believe) had two settings (low and high). You can fit two pretty easily. If you're fancy, you can put a temp probe in the radiator fins to activate the Volvo relay.

I found a fan out of a CheBy SSR and made a cheap little shroud. I used the SSR relay and and made my own harness with fuses. got a temprature setup that I stuck the probe in the radiator from vato zone to control the relay. It hasn’t failed me yet but I do have an over ride switch just in case. Works well for me but I’m not producing as much HP as you guys and I don’t tow.

For me I had to tilt the top of the radiator in about 1/4” because I wasn’t comfortable with how close it was to the fan hub pulley and I couldn’t bring myself to cut it off in case I ever decide to go back to mechanical. This is on a 93, not sure how much extra room the newer stuff has.

The new fans in the cheBy Cruise move some air and they are pretty flat, maybe able to go that route too? They have two speeds also.

I found a fan out of a CheBy SSR and made a cheap little shroud. I used the SSR relay and and made my own harness with fuses. got a temprature setup that I stuck the probe in the radiator from vato zone to control the relay. It hasn’t failed me yet but I do have an over ride switch just in case. Works well for me but I’m not producing as much HP as you guys and I don’t tow.

For me I had to tilt the top of the radiator in about 1/4” because I wasn’t comfortable with how close it was to the fan hub pulley and I couldn’t bring myself to cut it off in case I ever decide to go back to mechanical. This is on a 93, not sure how much extra room the newer stuff has.

The new fans in the cheBy Cruise move some air and they are pretty flat, maybe able to go that route too? They have two speeds also.

Thank you, I’ll definitely look into that. I was also thinking about a Jeep jk fan and shroud only 1” thick and it cools my wife’s lead foot

I used a small aftermarket aluminum radiator that's about 1/3 the size of the stock one. It came from summit with a fan and shroud. I have no issue with keeping the temp in check. Also using an electric water pump.

I used a small aftermarket aluminum radiator that's about 1/3 the size of the stock one. It came from summit with a fan and shroud. I have no issue with keeping the temp in check. Also using an electric water pump.

Don’t suppose you have the part number?

Don’t suppose you have the part number?

It's been so long ago, just went and picked the inlets and outlets where I wanted them, then welded on smaller inlet pipes to the factory thermostat housing and lower inlet. I start a pass at 150* and it's about 180* on the return road and cools back to 170 when I get back to the trailer. I think I still have your number, I'll send a pic.

For reference, I used to take my mechanical fan off for winter, and I forgot to put it back on one summer. It didn't matter at all until I towed, or was in stop and go traffic with the AC blasting.

If you don't tow at all, you might want to try no fan for a couple weeks.

Just curious, why Volvo relays? I have heard of the Ford Taurus fans before, but...

I forget the details, it's on older models they have a stand alone 30amp (I think it's 30) sealed, pigtailed relay. They're robust and you can get them for like $2 instead of $35-50.

Back