LB7 Upgrade Path

01Aggie

Hey guys, I am a Cummins man but I am going to be helping my Father build up his 02 Duramax. I have yet to decide on a target hp level so I would like to do a cost benefit analysis to determine at what hp levels I get the most bang for my buck and get an idea of the appropriate upgrade path. What I need from you is a consensus on, at what hp levels are each of the following modifications required?

Air Box
Exhaust
Transmission Upgrade
Lift Pump
Turbo
Injectors
Internal Engine Mods (Pistons, Rods, etc.)
Head Studs/Gasket
Dual CP3’s
Twins

Note: I plan on using EFI live as my tuner and some sort of egt, trans, boost gauges.
I think having all this info in one place may help others in planning their own mods. Feel free to add anything that I have left off. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I don't know too much about the power gains on a duramax, but i can tell you that i have seen stock injector trucks spin off 800 rwhp, aaaannnndd........... One of my customers trucks is a 06 silverado with a hot PPE, Intake, exhaust, dual cp3, water, and a purple trans and he spun out, 499 rwhp and 1013 rwtq....

Hey guys, I am a Cummins man but I am going to be helping my Father build up his 02 Duramax. I have yet to decide on a target hp level so I would like to do a cost benefit analysis to determine at what hp levels I get the most bang for my buck and get an idea of the appropriate upgrade path. What I need from you is a consensus on, at what hp levels are each of the following modifications required?

Air Boxover 500hp
Exhaust one of the 1st mods
Transmission Upgrade 80hp more than stock
Lift Pump 450 but doesn't hurt to add before
Turbo after 500
Injectors after 700
Internal Engine Mods (Pistons, Rods, etc.)600
Head Studs/Gasketover 50lbs of boost
Dual CP3’s 600
Twins 500 or above

Note: I plan on using EFI live as my tuner and some sort of egt, trans, boost gauges.
I think having all this info in one place may help others in planning their own mods. Feel free to add anything that I have left off. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

heres my thoughts

I don't know too much about the power gains on a duramax, but i can tell you that i have seen stock injector trucks spin off 800 rwhp, aaaannnndd........... One of my customers trucks is a 06 silverado with a hot PPE, Intake, exhaust, dual cp3, water, and a purple trans and he spun out, 499 rwhp and 1013 rwtq....
thats it?

I had a strong feeling the sh!tty tires he had on were spinning on the rollers... He has a stock turbo, I don't find that too bad... He was hoping for more...

One of my customers trucks is a 06 silverado with a hot PPE, Intake, exhaust, dual cp3, water, and a purple trans and he spun out, 499 rwhp and 1013 rwtq....

wow thats it??? :eek: :kick:

You can do that and more on an 06+ dmax with stock turbo, stock CP3, and fuel only.

to get 500-520rwhp on a 2006+ duramax, all you need is a lift pump, good tune, exhaust, intake (maybe) and built trans.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster with the extra cp3 & water.
500hp is doable with stock turbo 1 cp3, all that 2nd cp3 is good for making it smoke like a freight train until he gets a bigger turbo.

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. Noreaster ,that is exactly what I was looking for. XTrEmE9156, I understand what you are trying to say about not all builds producing similar results. Anyways, the magic number is looking like 500hp with the addition of,

EFI Live
Gauges
Exhaust
Lift Pump
Trans

Then I can get to 600hp in the second round with,

New Turbo
Air Box.

Let me know if this sounds reasonable to yall, or if not, how you would do it?

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. Noreaster ,that is exactly what I was looking for. XTrEmE9156, I understand what you are trying to say about not all builds producing similar results. Anyways, the magic number is looking like 500hp with the addition of,

EFI Live
Gauges
Exhaust
Lift Pump
Trans

Then I can get to 600hp in the second round with,

New Turbo
Air Box.

Let me know if this sounds reasonable to yall, or if not, how you would do it?

that sounds like a good plan to me

ben

adjustable wastegate actuator, fuel tank pickup, drivers side manifold & if your going with EFI delete the intake heater in the elbow of the intake manifold.

fuel tank pickup isnt needed until >550rwhp IMO.

the BD driver side manifold is worthless. Maybe good for 50* reduction in EGT's. We put one on my buddy's LLY with a BD turbo and it didnt make crap bit of difference.

Back