EFI Live and Pilot Quantity Lookup

biggy238

I have a lope that occurs at idle speed (zero throttle input) when load is applied. I found two threads that both imply that the pilot injection is behind it.

My log shows pilot staying constant at 2.17mm, so I modified it to 3mm to see what would happen. When creating the log this morning, the pilot fuel rate was at 7mm constant and I had a ton of white smoke. Lope didn't really improve judging by the log/map

Confused by this, I went back to the file and found the temp adjust tables. What is throwing me off is that the tables dont have a temperature axis. Only mm3 and rpm. Either the mm3 axis is labeled wrong, or something else is going on?

I dont even know that this part of the file is where I need to be spending my time to correct this. I am trying to find the birth sheet for my injectors, but I'm worried it fell out of the box and was disposed of. If it comes to it, I will have to pull the valve cover and retrieve serial numbers. They are exergy 150's.

From the logs, main fuel needs to be at average 565mm idle no load, and average 775 idle loaded to be stable. The last main table change I made was to try and get all the cells at idle at 850mm3 so that the lookup is hitting right around that 775 mark.
This parks me at cmd 38mm3 at 8700psi. Screenshot 2022-11-19 191941.png

Screenshot 2022-11-19 235746.png

Not satisfied with that result, I threw out that change and took pilot quantity from 2.17mm that was identified in the log to 3.3, flashed it and created another log this morning. The lope was depressed, but was still there.
Screenshot 2022-11-19 193232.png

The wrench thrown in on that log is that it was quite a bit colder than my other logs, just below freezing, so the truck started at high idle and then dropped down to low idle before I pulled it into gear. This log shows the lookup jumping between 38mm and 48mm.

Some time ago, I noticed that any throttle input at all causes the PID loop to break, the lope immediately disappears, and this is how I arrived at the mm3 I thought it would take to make this stop. Screenshot 2022-11-19 194216.png
You can see in this log that applying just enough throttle causes the loop to break.
I sort of feel like the 0 throttle idle is a table that isn't exposed in EFI but that's another topic.

I know comp missed my long winded convoluted posts.

The log that shows the idle spending most of its time between 38 and 48mm cmdScreenshot 2022-11-19 235826.png

Last edited:
Is there any adaptive learning with a factory ecm? What year ecm are you fiddling with? I know nothing, but interesting in learning.

No, you are just talking over at least 47937 of 47947 members heads. :hehe:

And I'm one of the first group. :D

Well...... In my typical fashion......... I was being a dumbass.

But, I have a reason for it.

When you set up Maps on the logging page of EFI, you set the scales. I thought I had mine set to kPA for units on one of the axes. I updated to V8 from V7.5. The log feature on V8 was scaled to PSI. Circumstantially, where my fluctuation was occuring was at 8700psi, but I was going to the ~8900 KPA column of the main duration table to make changes and then wondering why in the actual fuck nothing was changing with the symptom.

Good news...... It idles like stock under a load now, so smooth that the RPM in the log is a straight line now.

I did find another issue while i was scouring the interwebs, one that I had seen in logs but never taken the time to investigate. I will probably start another thread on it.

I did learn a lot from trying to manipulate everything. :bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

Is there any adaptive learning with a factory ecm? What year ecm are you fiddling with? I know nothing, but interesting in learning.

No adaptive that I am aware of. This is a CM849A or B. I honestly dont remember.

It sucks to try and learn in post EPA apocalypse because a lot of the knowledgable users either ghosted or are afraid to help out or got gag orders from the supreme overlords.

For the visual learners in the crowd.

Latest Log.png
This log shows the corrected idle. Interestingly, you can only see blips in the RPM now when it's shifted into gear.

Screenshot 2022-11-21 132952 Old Map.png

The old map showing the duration causing the overfuel. The issue is the same as a mechanical governor bouncing, either too much fuel or not enough, so it's bouncing between the two to try and maintain median RPM. You can see this zoomed in on the log, by the time the RPM overshoots, the PID had already cut fuel by 200uS. RPM on the up slope, fuel on the down slope. This causes an undershoot and the PID tries to recover/correct via adding fuel by selecting the cell it thinks will save it. The issue is that because the injectors are oversized, the injection event causes an overshoot of rpm and the loop repeats.
This is how a Lope Tune works if you are doing this intentionally. I'm not a cool kid though. I am leaving the lope in tunes 2-5 though just to be a dick.

Screenshot 2022-11-21 133422 New Map.png

New map showing where I inserted the amount of fuel I knew it needed based on the logs I had taken.

As with typical Comp D fashion...if we post enough BS after the original question...the OP will figure it out on their own. :hehe:

What difference would there be between that one and a 08 as far as learning how to change stuff. Where did your start learning?

What difference would there be between that one and a 08 as far as learning how to change stuff. Where did your start learning?
They aren't too terribly different.
I would start with downloading the software, and downloading a couple of files from the repo here.
Get on EFI's forum and download the manuals for the software, the flashscan V2 or V3 and the manual for the CSP5 software.

I'm pretty sure you can tune a file without having a license, you just can't flash it.

Something to keep in mind is that not everything in EFI live is labeled correctly, and some things they just didn't take the time to make available to the user because time is money. My thread about the operation codes is an example of that.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention that with the 08 tuning you would have VGT table to change concerning the turbo.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

CMB_0214.zip - Google Drive

This link is 3 efi logs compressed. If anyone wants to look them over have fun.

The only thing I can see causing the status 45 is deviation of more than 5% rail pressure coupled with elevated throttle command. I really don't know at this point.
I might try to build from a manual file and see if it has the same issue.

AAaannd I put that post on the wrong thread. MAybe a mod can breeze through here and move it for me.

Hey Biggy, good work, I'm currently tuning my truck with the help of a friend and experiencing the same growing pains you are. I've found that to get idle right you have to do what you're doing and come at it backwards. EFI didn't map out the idle fueling. I'm doing an 08, CM2100 which is little different.

Back