Suspension set ups on pullers, how to keep it from bouncing!

AGtremely Hooked

Woodruffdiesel
Ok, Finnally got it out of hole but bounced hard the 1st 100ft then it came out of it. I would like to know what you guys are doing for suspension tie down bars, solid suspension or not? and how you come out of the hole clutch wise. please need all the info i can get!

Could be a number of things...

Try running a bit of suspension travel like an inch or better.
Also take a look at the tire your running if its too aggressive and you cant light it off the line it will cause you to hop.

Another thing I have noticed is that the powerstrokes just dont have the horsepower much of the time to actually stay on top of the track...

fighting hop in mine too, I think alot of it is how you come off the clutch. I try to sidestep once I have my charger lit and that seems to be the catalyst to my bounce, as soon as the power hits the track its wicked bad hop. I am gonna ride it more next time out of the hole and see if a smoother transition will keep it settled. I also just put a locker in since I smashed my spider gears last time out, hoping that may help too cause it looked liek I was getting soem side to side motion in my hop.

i have air lockers in mine and still hops it could be the clutch because it a crower doesnt like to be slipped but it takes forever to light the big charger we just put on it. and it didnt build till 4200 rpms so i had to slip the clutch just to get the charger to light, i will try to post the video here when i figure out how to. but the first class i ran as an exhibition pull and the charger didnt stay lit out of the hole but i side step the clutch and didnt hop. im just unsure about front suspension on these fords do u want them tide down or free, im leaning towards free...

Are you still running leaf springs up front? How many weights on what hole and how much back load on your clutch?

What kind of Crower did you get that doesnt like to be slipped??
All caught up said:
i have air lockers in mine and still hops it could be the clutch because it a crower doesnt like to be slipped but it takes forever to light the big charger we just put on it. and it didnt build till 4200 rpms so i had to slip the clutch just to get the charger to light, i will try to post the video here when i figure out how to. but the first class i ran as an exhibition pull and the charger didnt stay lit out of the hole but i side step the clutch and didnt hop. im just unsure about front suspension on these fords do u want them tide down or free, im leaning towards free...

I had a couple good hooks at Smithton last time out. Probably not be able to tell anything at Stoneboro today, tracks too loose.

theres nine wieghts on each stand. and it still has front leaf spring and want to know how or info to get coil springs in the front i think that will help.

All caught up said:

I dont know much about pulling (so take this with a grain of salt)...but the leafsprung superduties have negative antisquat on frontend (we are talking frontend right?)....Focusing solely on the stock frontend, this makes the frontend pro-dive in braking....the opposite as that; yup, lifting under acceleration. This throws more pressure to the tires, more pressure = wheelhop.

Its almost the same effect as axlewrap in the rear, high antisquat causes the lift, and leafs being forgiving allows the hop in the rear.

The radius arm suspensions up front still have low antidive, yet are not negative like the leafsprung.....so i dont see how they would hop more, as mentioned

Id go coils or strap it down.

Last edited:
teddybear said:
Fords seem to be the worst about hopping. Why is this?

Front suspension geometry caused by the leafs. The leafs act as a link attaching to the axle, yet the fixed mount of the leaf is up front...where a dodge has a 4link behind the frontaxle. Its much easier to get the frontend to do what you want to do with an actual linked frontend.

chevies are IFS...they probably get the least hop, though tie rods might be concern.

Forgive me if im stepping on toes...not a pulling expert by any means.:doh:

Jess@FarmboyFab said:
Front suspension geometry caused by the leafs. The leafs act as a link attaching to the axle, yet the fixed mount of the leaf is up front...where a dodge has a 4link behind the frontaxle. Its much easier to get the frontend to do what you want to do with an actual linked frontend.

chevies are IFS...they probably get the least hop, though tie rods might be concern.

Forgive me if im stepping on toes...not a pulling expert by any means.:doh:

Ah i c, maybe this would explain why i see a lot of front axles on the fords start to shimmy and shake at the end of the pull.

well im knew to this i pulled prostock pulling tractors on the ntpa level my hole life so this truck thing is new to me i just know how to make hp. so i want to know whats working for everyone, what theyve learned from trile and error, hopefully ill have the video posted soon here but it started from the back the hop did which just from what i know seems like clutch induced. but last yr we had a button clutch and no tie down bars or traction bars and it didnt hop once! im confused and why wouldnt coil work better then leaf all dodges have coil and u never here them have problems about hopping unless they dont have there clutch adjusted right... please keep informing me, watson what did u do? i really want to know what all u did to keep it on the ground, and why u had ur crower setup like u did?? what was the advantage of it?

I've never seen any clutch with weights on the stands. Are you sure it's a Crower? You say it doesn't like to slip and has 9 weights somewhere, it doesn't sound like a Crower to me.

Back