Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
JSPulliam21

Name: JSPulliam21
Title: We Don't Rent Pigs
Member`s Gallery
Kill switch on a VP truck

My local pulling association requires a kill switch mounted on the back of the truck. I called a local diesel shop that has a couple of pulling trucks, and they don't have any idea about how to rig up a kill switch on a VP truck. Has anyone done this, or know how to? Thanks
98.5 3500 QC LB NV4500 4x4 3.55 SRW, DiPricol gauges, BHAF, 4" Silverline, FBD 150's, Edge Comp, Valair 3800 DD, Draw Straw, 1/2" Filter to IP Line, FASS 95HPFP, 2" Leveling Kit, DSS, 35" Toyo M/T, KDP killed

Old 08-28-2007, 08:06 PM   #2
bdp

Name: bdp
Title: beans diesel performance
Member`s Gallery
Pull fuses till one kills ecu.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:09 PM   #3
lightsOUT

Name: lightsOUT
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
is it supposed to be a fuel cut-off or an air cut-off?

the dark side made me do it.........

Old 08-28-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
JSPulliam21

Member`s Gallery
It has to kill the engine if the truck breaks free from the sled. No other specs are listed.
98.5 3500 QC LB NV4500 4x4 3.55 SRW, DiPricol gauges, BHAF, 4" Silverline, FBD 150's, Edge Comp, Valair 3800 DD, Draw Straw, 1/2" Filter to IP Line, FASS 95HPFP, 2" Leveling Kit, DSS, 35" Toyo M/T, KDP killed

Old 08-29-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
joefarmer

Name: joefarmer
Title: MR. Supreme Overlord
Member`s Gallery
I think an air-shutoff would be in your best interest. That way if something goes wrong, you can positively take complete control of one combustion requirement- oxygen.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
RyanB

Name: RyanB
Member`s Gallery
Most sanctioned bodies are wanting an Air-Kill because it will not only shut down the engine if your pump decided to run away or say you stick a rack in a P-Pump but it will also let you shut down the engine if you blow a turbo and start pissing oil into the intake. Where if you just had a switch for the pump...it wouldn't do anything for that. I have a Chawlyn valve on mine and works really nice then have a switch in the cab and a breakaway trailer switch in the rear for the sled...works great!

RyanB

Old 08-29-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
JSPulliam21

Member`s Gallery
where can I find some info on an air shutoff?

Old 08-29-2007, 10:32 PM   #8
JSPulliam21

Member`s Gallery
All right, I can understand switching a vital fuse. Now, I just need a switch to mount on the back of the truck. You must be able to attach a cable from the sled to it, and in the event of separation, the cable will pull the switch to break the circuit. Any ideas of where to find such a switch?

Old 08-29-2007, 10:51 PM   #9
joefarmer

Member`s Gallery
I was pretty sure Columbus Diesel Supply had one, but I can't seem to find it now.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:14 PM   #10
JSPulliam21

Member`s Gallery
Like this one?
http://item.express.ebay.com/Home-Ga...mdZExpressItem

Old 08-29-2007, 11:44 PM   #11
joefarmer

Member`s Gallery
I was thinking of the cable operated air shutoff switch. That one may work for an electrical cutoff, but I don't think all sanctioning bodies will approve of it.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:10 AM   #12
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Just get a piece of extension cord. cut the male end off of it and leave about 4 inches of wire. Mount the female end on the truck, run the cord up front, cut the ignition wire, and put the cord in series. Take the male end and splice the end together that you cut. Then plug it in. I put a 2" ring on mine and wrapped the splice around the ring.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:19 AM   #13
RyanB

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefarmer
I was thinking of the cable operated air shutoff switch. That one may work for an electrical cutoff, but I don't think all sanctioning bodies will approve of it.
Not sure why they wouldn't like the electrical cutoff???? I have a break away trailer switch like the ebay pic above for my electric air shut off (its spring loaded by the way) and from what I have seen and heard...it is just fine to use. All of the gasser classes that require a shut off are running the same switch and they have no problems...can't see why we would with a diesel.

If I wouldn't have gone with my Chawlyn Valve I was going to make a Guilotine that bolts to my large turbo and instead of having the two cables on it going to the cab and the rear of the truck...I was just going to bolt a small soloid to it there for when power is going to it its stuck in the open possition...when power is cut (ring pulled on the back of the truck) it will let go and slam shut. If im not mistaken one of the ATS trucks is running this setup.Pretty slick!

RyanB

Old 08-30-2007, 06:45 AM   #14
SuperSonic

Name: SuperSonic
Title: El Vato
Member`s Gallery
An electrical switch wont work on a P pumped truck if you hang the rack, also wont work on a vp44 truck with a Redline box. And in neither case if you have a turbo let loose, sometimes it's not just a simple siezure and oil leak, sometimes when they let go it takes out the entire compressor housing so in all honesty a chawlyn valve like some of the pullers are using, placed as close to the intake horn as possible, is your safest bet, also I would reccomend backing it up with a driver operated Fuel shutoff to the pump, just in case, and usually the best way to shut it down in the advent of a pump issue at the end of the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn859 View Post
Sometimes I feel like giving up....then I remember I have a lot of motherfukkers to prove wrong.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:54 AM   #15
RyanB

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSonic
An electrical switch wont work on a P pumped truck if you hang the rack, also wont work on a vp44 truck with a Redline box. And in neither case if you have a turbo let loose, sometimes it's not just a simple siezure and oil leak, sometimes when they let go it takes out the entire compressor housing so in all honesty a chawlyn valve like some of the pullers are using, placed as close to the intake horn as possible, is your safest bet, also I would reccomend backing it up with a driver operated Fuel shutoff to the pump, just in case, and usually the best way to shut it down in the advent of a pump issue at the end of the track.
Chris- Looks like I may have confused you with my post. My truck has a 12valve so I am running the Chawlyn Airshut off to kill the motor in the event of either an actual stuck rack, blown turbo or anything else and because my Chawlyn valve is electrical I can run the break away switch at the back of the truck and also have a switch in the cab that I can kill it with. I am also running a fuel dump valve to kill the fuel going to the pump in the even of a pump failiur because I figure it would be easier on the entire engine to just starve it of fuel than it would be to starve it of air at 5000rpm plus durring a run away!

I figure I have just over $1000 into both of these saftey items and on a truck thats as worth as much as mine its worth it to me!

RyanB

Closed Thread